HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   WBR or wait and watch????? pls help (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52290)

bestfriend05 11-28-2011 06:32 PM

WBR or wait and watch????? pls help

Hello everyone, my mother was recently diagnosed with stage 4 and mets to brain (single lesion) which was removed surgically, she has now been advised to get WBR or wait and watch..!!! can some one pls help us in making this decision, has anyone everbeen in a similar situation before..? we r so confused and stuck, really really dont know what route to take..she is er and pr +ve and her2 -ve, so cannot have herceptin...! what is one to do..???

Becky 11-28-2011 06:47 PM

Re: WBR or wait and watch????? pls help

Tamoxifen or aromatase inhibitors are usually used in hormone positive cancer. Both cross the blood brain barrier including all three aromatase inhibitors (Arimidex, Femara and Aromosin).

If you mother has been on one of these, she should switch. If she has been on Femara or Arimidex, she should talk to her doctor about switching to Aromosin (works in a different way than the other two). After that, she could switch or use Tamoxifen if she has never tried that.

Becky 11-28-2011 06:49 PM

I also want to add that the common breast cancer chemo, Xeloda, also crosses the blood brain barrier. There are some side effects but hair loss is not one of them.

Also, Temodor, a chemo that crosses and is commonly used for primary brain cancer is used.

Both are pills.

Joan M 11-28-2011 07:21 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's brain met. I had one met, so I understand what you are all going through.

My met was also treated with surgery as well, and then followed by targeted radiation to the brain. 5 doses of IMRT (image modulated radiotherapy). The tumor bed was radiated. I preferred avoiding WBR, and I know of a few women on this board who have had several brain mets individually radiated, but who did not have surgery. That is, their tumors were small enough to be treated by only radiation. I was advised to have surgery followed by radiation. My tumor was 2.6 cm.

My met has not recurred and I have not had any others since.

Wishing the best for your mom.

Joan

bestfriend05 11-29-2011 01:13 PM

Hi and thanku all for your suggestions, when my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, before she could have surgery or any other treatment a brain tumor met was discovered., so all this has been pretty recent. she is not any hormonal therpay as yet but that is what the onc plans to do after radiation. I have been speaking to some of my doc friends and getting opinions about the WBR from their onc friends and they say this is std treatment..so my brain is really frazzled..!!as online research seems to be against WBR..Dont know whom to believe...but have to make a decision soon, apt due with onc tomorrow..
Joan can I pls ask u if u were offered WBR, and did u oopt out of it? also when did u have radiation..
thanku so much girls for your input, wishing u all the best of health and happiness..xx