HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   New role call for stage IVers (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53359)

KristinSchwick 03-05-2012 05:51 PM

New role call for stage IVers

Its been awhile since the last role call for stage IV gals- so please check in and let me (us) know how your doing.

Include how long since your stage IV diagnosis, as well as how you are doing now.

I will start, I was dx'd stage IV in May 2011; 10 months ago now. Mild progression in the bones over the course of 3 different chemo cocktails in the last 10 months. Latest being Herceptin, Tykerb, Femara and Zoladex. Feeling amazing.

Redwolf8812 03-06-2012 05:01 AM

Re: New role call for stage IVers

Diagnosed stage IIIc July 2010. Large Tumor in left breast. Large left node. Internal mammary node and sub pectoral node. BRCA2. Started August 2010 taxol and herceptin every week 12 weeks. Developed skin mets on breast towards end of TH. Moved on to epirubicin and cytoxan every two weeks, which completely obliterated the tumor and mets. Surgery pathology - only residual remained in 2 nodes and in lymphovascular. All tumor in breast and skin was gone. Clear margins. Continued with herceptin until November 2011. Was on tykerb also from February to May 2011 - had to stop because of allergic reaction. Rads from February 2011 to April 2011. All docs impressed with pathology and convinced I was cured but now facing liver mets, so what gives.

Still feeling well, praise the Lord! I'm married with 3 children, a son, age 17, and 2 daughters, ages 14 and 8.

Lori R 03-06-2012 05:56 AM

It's been a while since I've posted.

I was diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago. 10/2007. I was stage IV at the time of diagnosis.

Although I've been through 3 rounds of Chemo (bye bye hair), I am able to ski, hike, work, travel enjoy life. (probably more than when I was healthy)

I am wrapping up my 6th cycle of Abraxane (for the 2nd time) and am hoping for a brief chemo break. Scan 2 months ago showed regression on Abraxane.

Staying appreciative for each moment with my family and friends.

Lori

Lauriesh 03-06-2012 06:42 AM

Hi, I was diagnosed July, 2010. I was 43.

I just celebrated my one year NED on Feb 25, 2011.

After 6 months of taxotere/Herceptin, I had rfa for my liver met.

I am now on Herceptin and tykerb.

Laurie

Delaney 03-06-2012 01:17 PM

I went to stage iv in 2010. Will be having radiotherapy to back and then start new weekly chemo fo try to eliminate few new skin mets that have just appeared on chest. this disease loves to surprise us.

Sheila 03-06-2012 01:21 PM

Diagnosed in 2002, Stage 1, then recurred and Stage IV in 2003...just celebrated 10 years, have been in constant treatment since 2003....been on Herceptin 9 years. ( It was not available for Stage 1 when I was diagnosed) Although I may never reach NED, life is good!

chrisy 03-06-2012 02:06 PM

Original DX 6/2002 DCIS, Stage IV in 2004. Although the last 9 months have been a steeplechase for an effective therapy, overall I've been doing great since, well, 2004!

Emelie B 03-06-2012 08:13 PM

I was diagnosed Stage IV on Feb. 14, 2010. Was on Herceptin only until two weeks ago and a PET showed the cancer has returned and we are working on a new plan. Had biopsy last Friday and I meet with my onc. on Thurs. to see where we go from here.
I'll be honest not feeling so good, but know we have some options and it will get better.
Stay strong and know I have had a great 2 years with family and friends.
Emelie

Mandamoo 03-07-2012 01:16 AM

Diagnosed stage 4 while on adjuvant therapy for early breast cancer - spread to skin, an Axilla node and numerous lung mets - this was in June 2011.

Had 7 months of stable disease while on Bolero trial - progression in lungs in January 2012. Just started Tykerb and xeloda. Had an inconclusive lung biopsy - they think they missed the tumor (apparently the most difficult lung biopsy the radiologist has ever done) - may try again after next lot of scans as lung tumors seem to be behaving atypically it would be good to test the tissue.

I live my life fully - I have made large changes to my diet and am encompassing and embracing emotional, psychological and spiritual growth. I live in hope that I can be well and ultimately cancer free to see my children to adulthood.

I love that this community is so supportive and encouraging. Thank you.
Amanda

Vicky 03-07-2012 11:30 AM

Diagnosed March 2011 stage IIIc until PET scan revealed mets to liver and spine, stage IV.

Accepted into Marianne trial of tdm1- first infusion April, 2011. Scans after 3 treatments reveal liver spots gone! Breast, spine and lymph nodes all shrunk in size. Remain stable on tdm1 for 10 months.

Right side mastectomy August 2011.

Progression called February 2012 with 4 small lung mets and 1 spot on the brain.

Begin Halaven February 21. Meet with Radiation Oncologist for targeted treatment to brain starting later this March and treatment for mets in spine.

I gather so much info from this site. My doctor is impressed at how much my knowledge has increased and he in turn takes suggestions and input from me, which I learn from all of you!

I continue to enjoy a good quality of life- I am an active mom to a 9 and 11 year old boys and travel with their hockey teams all winter. I've also changed my diet and spiritually grown deeper and deeper. I count my gifts every day and live my moments with intention and grace.

I continue to be filled with hope and am so honored to be amongst so many strong- spirited and inspiring people!

KaiM 03-07-2012 12:10 PM

Went stage 4 just one month after initial diagnosis went a CT scan was ordered. That was just this past November. I have been on weekly TCH plus zometa, just finishing up my fourth cycle. I had another CT scan after round 3 and things looked good, the cancer is responding to treatment and shrinking. Bones are healing.
Overall I feel good, I have my tired days (taking care of an 8 month old and a toddler could do that to anyone!) and need more rest, but I'm coping. I continue to look at my blessings and embrace hope and healing!

SoCalGal 03-07-2012 02:57 PM

16 years from original diagnosis, including the last 5 years stage 4. I live a normal, active, hectic-full life. Mets are mostly stable, so I think of my disease as chronic. Every day I practice staying out of fear (future based) and staying present and engaged in life. I feel very lucky to have this board and the support and inspiration of others.

Kathy T 03-07-2012 03:08 PM

27 years from original dx! Stage 4 past 9 years. Stable past 2 years on TDM-1.
Kathy T

pibikay 03-07-2012 05:02 PM

Hema diagnosed in March 2010 stage IV liver,spine and rib mets.Usual Chemo 9 doses of herceptin then on tykerb and xeloda.28th Jan '12 tets chest normal,residuary mets in liver lobes.lesion in brain just underwent radiation for brain lesion.Normal except vision is hazy.Fixed an appointment with optholmogist for glasses.Ultra sound and x ray scheduled for end of this month.hoping for the best

Pmoore 03-07-2012 05:55 PM

Diagnosed in 2003 pregnant with 2nd child,stage II .Stage IV 2010 lung mets.Herceptin and Arimdex only so far.Almost 10 years from initial diagnosis.

Barbara H. 03-07-2012 07:23 PM

Diagnosed 1998. Stage II/III. I did not know at that time that I was HER2, but learned a few years later. I was ER/PR neg. Stage 4 May, 2004. Currently NED on Herceptin/Tykerb and hope that continues. I work full time as a teacher.
Barbara H.

Bunty 03-07-2012 11:30 PM

11 years from initial diagnosis which was stage II. (Herceptin only given to stage IV back then.) Became stage IV Oct 2007. Love life, live it healthy and well, even with the odd bout of chemo in there! Just on herceptin at the moment and all stable.

kk1 03-08-2012 11:27 AM

8 years stage IV almost to the day!!

Primary Dx in March 2004 stage IV. NED most of the time but periodically have to get tough.

Currently, NED for the past 3 years! longest stretch to date. Excited to update my signature again with another year. Almost feel like I have my life back again---but with quite a few gray hairs.

So Grateful, wishing you all the same.

dchips1 03-08-2012 01:55 PM

My name is Darita, As some one posted above this is a "chronic " illness for me as well. I thank God I am still here. I thought I was going to have 2 years in a row with no cancer "stuff" going on.
Jan 2012 ingrown toenail with podiatrist and diabetic foot check, when I also reported sensation changes in pelvis and right leg. That resulted in getting a nerve conduction study on lower extremities (was normal) to HEY lets MRI the spine. Low and Behold 2 spinal mets in the thoracic spinal membrane.

So I still am active and praying that the 20 rounds of radiation per spot will take care of the 2 spots. He is stretching out the days of tx to lessen the swelling and to try to stay away from decadron.(Diabetes from steroids).
I am on weekly herceptin, daily 750 mg tykerb and looking forward to Pertuzamub!

For the most part my LIFE is good, we RV camp, walk the dogs, raise my kids. I don't run marathons nor did I ever

God is Good and Life is Good
Prayers to All
Darita

Vicki revised 03-11-2012 03:02 AM

Dx stage 4 IBC, mets to liver one year ago. Did 6 rounds of taxotere, carboplatin and Herceptin before surgery. At end of chemo PET scan showed all live cells gone except for orig tumor which had shrunk 90%. Bilteral rad/mod mast in Aug.

Path report: no remaining live cells and all lymph nodes were clean--clear evidence they had been malignant but were no more. no more chemo or any rads since I was in clinical remission, continuing Herceptin.

Thought I had my life back. Jan 2012 scan showed mets returned to liver more than before. Currently taking Tykerb in addition to Herc. Next scan in May and will go back on chemo if mets are still there. I was already scared and deeply depressed and then I was dx with mascular degeneration in 1 eye last week.

Friends and family do not realize the gravity of having mets return in less than 6 mons. Trying to find a way out of this dark place I'm at.