HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   RFA vs SBRT getting a new plan (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60473)

Kim in DC 03-07-2014 03:03 PM

RFA vs SBRT getting a new plan

My affair with the stable boy has run its course. I had my sternum mets zapped pretty good but I have 3 new lesions in my liver(I dont know if the other mets were false but they are smaller from 2 years ago) . The new mets are very small (largest is 10mm) but I want to fry those suckers before they get out of hand. I see a lot of ladies on this board having success with rfa and sbrt. Is there any data that suggests one is better?

Are there any new chemos on the horizon? I am pretty much out of options and I am looking for trials. Phase I trials are probably my only option.

You ladies are the reason I am alive today!!!! Any suggestion is welcomed!

Kim

KDR 03-07-2014 03:35 PM

Re: RFA vs SBRT getting a new plan

Hi, Kim,
I have done the RFA, which is minimally invasive. I had a catastrophic event during the first (July 2013) so they had to pull out (so we can't count an unfinished procedure). I progressed probably by what was left behind. I had a successful ablation on 6 January. All is looking well. If I have to look at doing this again, for any reason, I might look at SBRT.
PS I don't know why you think you are out of options, you are not!
PSS After I posted this, I had a lengthy conversation with my IR. We were discussing RFA, SBRT and Y90. I learned it is impossible to make decisions about what type of therapy you might implement UNTIL you know the size, configuration, number and location of your tumors.
Also, good to know that there is no "limit" on amount of RFAs one can have.
Best of luck always,
Karen

CoolBreeze 03-07-2014 05:29 PM

Re: RFA vs SBRT getting a new plan

I haven't researched data. I had microwave RFA at the same time as a liver resection, so for me it was open surgery. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Cancer grew back in the same area. They couldn't reach that surgically as it was near the portal vein so they took out half the liver and RFA'd the section near the vein - by the following year we know it hadn't taken.

I also had SBRT, last summer. That has been more effective as I have been stable since last August when I did it. I also have been on Perjeta which I also credit with my stability.

If you want to know about the SBRT process, I can share that with you. It is quite easy, except for the fiducial placement, but it is just like a liver biopsy - if you didn't have an issue with that then this shouldn't cause you problems either.

My doctor did say they could do the SBRT again if it starts to grow (possibly, you know doctors) so it isn't just one and done.

Good luck with your decision. It makes me happy to see somebody who has been around for so long, and I wish you many more years.