HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Nipple reconstruction (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54451)

snolan 05-21-2012 11:45 AM

Nipple reconstruction

I had my nipple reconstruction on Friday. Dr. told me they would shrink some after about 6-8 weeks, good thing they stick out pretty far! Sporting nice plastic domes to protect them. Good thing I get to wear scrubs to work that can hide them.
Only have tatoo left to do and then I am completly done with the reconstruction and can finally put this stage behind me.
Suzanne

KDR 05-21-2012 04:14 PM

Re: Nipple reconstruction

Congratulations, Suzanne. A chapter...almost closed.
Karen

chekmark 05-22-2012 04:27 AM

Good for you. Congrats on being almost done.

Firework 05-22-2012 04:37 AM

I'm glad to hear you're getting closer to the "surgery" finish line! I'm right behind you with nipple recon scheduled for July 2012. Best of luck, Lorraine

chekmark 05-22-2012 10:56 AM

Suzanne,
Can you tell me alittle bit about the procedure . I have a follow up in July. My surgery is a perfectionist, they referred to him at the hospital as the artist which is great. He wants to make sure that I am even and such in 2 months before the nipple. Did you have a local or general? How do you look, etc. If I am being to personal I apologize. My scar seems kind of high but looks so much better since he removed it, my new scar is so much smaller. I just wanted to compare notes.

snolan 05-23-2012 07:32 AM

I did it under a local, but had to do it in the hospital due to my insurance. They look a little weird right now due to swelling and sutures still in. He said they will shrink in about 4-6 weeks. They do look a little big right now so hopefully they shrink. I have to wear these plastic dome protectors, they just tape on. The scar is a z shape. I think once everything heals they are going to look great. Didn't have any pain just some drainage for one day. But my boobs are still numb from reconstruction so that helps. Very glad I had the proceedure. I can get the tatoo in 4-6 weeks.

NEDenise 05-24-2012 06:12 AM

Hey!
My new "nipples" are all healed (and shrunk, thank goodness) and I'm scheduled for tattooing in June. Whew! I can honestly say "scheduled for tattooing" definitely goes on the list of things I never thought I'd hear myself say! I've always been so squeamish about that whole concept. But, as Suzanne pointed out...everything is still numb from reconstruction...so it won't hurt.

I was going to forgo nipple recon. completely until an acquaintance actually showed me hers. (Seriously...she just...showed me!) Anyway...hers looked so convincing, I decided to have mine done. And they're pretty natural looking, if I do say so myself! Not planning to do a show and tell...you'll just have to trust me! :)

Mine were done under general anesthesia, because they were done during some "touch-up" surgery after my recon scars healed. (actually...the scars healed badly, and needed revision)

Darlene...if you have any other ?s...PM me...I've already posted more about nipples than I ever thought I would! :) I wonder if my modesty about such things will ever return...or if I even care about modesty anymore. I'm alive!!!!

Denise

snolan 05-24-2012 07:06 AM

Denise;

I couldn't stop laughing about your friend who just "showed them" to you. I feel that is all I do is show off my new boobs. I have 2 friends that are going through the chemo stage, so for them to see the finished product gives them encouragement so I don't mind "showing mine off". Anything in the name of science:)

NEDenise 05-24-2012 03:21 PM

Okay...so maybe I would show a fellow BC survivor. But as a general rule, I have traditionally insisted on a nice dinner before revealing my "girls". :)
Denise

fauxgypsy 06-07-2012 07:26 PM

Denise, I am glad that you are doing so well. I have indefinitely postponed my reconstruction while I deal with some other health problems. Your sense of humor is wonderful.