HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Courtney, how are you? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47103)

mmoons 10-07-2010 06:00 PM

Courtney, how are you?

I thought about you so much today. I wanted you to know. Because I am sure I am not the only one. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers!

xoxo

Maureen

joletta 10-08-2010 06:46 AM

Re: Courtney, how are you?

Courtney,
You were in my thoughts as well and still are. I know the whole board is sending all good wishes.
Joletta

michka 10-08-2010 07:25 AM

Courtney I am joining this thread to tell you I am thinking of you and hope everything went well. Hugs. Michka

bejuce 10-08-2010 09:22 AM

Same here. Thinking of you and hoping for the best along with the rest of the board.

ElaineM 10-08-2010 10:00 AM

I hope you are doing well.

Chelee 10-08-2010 11:45 AM

I have been wondering how your doing also? When you get a chance we would love to hear from you. :)

Chelee

flynny 10-08-2010 09:30 PM

I am also wondering how you made out. I am sending you positive vibes from NH!

Julie2 10-09-2010 08:09 AM

Courtney,

Thinking about you. Hope everything is going well as you planned.

Julie

CarolynME 10-09-2010 09:56 AM

Courtney,

I have been thinking about you too. Sending prayers and hugs your way!

Love,

Carolyn

Becky 10-09-2010 10:21 AM

Courtney

I too am sending good thoughts your way.

caya 10-09-2010 10:24 AM

Me too - good thoughts only!!

all the best
caya

karen z 10-09-2010 12:20 PM

Hi Courtney,
Even more good thoughts and best wishes coming your way.
Karen

Lori R 10-10-2010 08:47 AM

Courtney,
EmelieB and I met for lunch on Friday and we were thinking of you.

We are hoping for an uneventful procedure and quick recovery.

Emelie and Lori

CourtneyL 10-11-2010 10:48 AM

Wow ladies, I am overwhelmed by the love and support! Thank you so very much. I spent the last few days resting and spending some quality time with family and friends so I apologize for not posting sooner.

I have some really outstanding news to report. When I went in for the Gamma Knife procedure last Thursday, they did another Brain MRI with double contrast to evaluate the tumors. They always prepare you for the possibility that the double contrast will likely reveal even more tumors and that there is a possibility they won't do the Gamma Knife if there are too many.

Well my scan not only showed that there were no additional tumors, it actually showed SHRINKAGE! It has only been 3 weeks since my previous scan and already some of the larger tumors had shrunk by several millimeters (diameter). The folks at UCSF told me that this was a pretty remarkable finding. That they never see shrinkage on a Gamma Knife scan. So I don't know if it is the vaccine, the Tykerb, the Boswellia, or a combo, but something is working by golly!

The Gamma Knife procedure itself went fine. Just a really long day that left me exhausted and with a sore scalp. They zapped the 7 tumors that they saw (there were only 7 instead of the previously reported 8) and I won't need to scan again until January. This means I can go about the business of enjoying my life and a wonderful holiday season without worrying about all of this. I know that something is working to shrink the growth and that is incredibly reassuring and comforting.

Thank you again lovely ladies for all of the wonderful words of encouragement and love. You help me to be unafraid and to face these challenges with grace and dignity. I will overcome.

Darlene Denise 10-11-2010 01:41 PM

Hey, you incredible shrinking woman!! YEAH & WOO HOO!!! on this incredible news.

I be so happy for you!!!!

Stay strong....Darlene

chrisy 10-11-2010 03:35 PM

WOW Courtney, leave it to you to baffle them with great results!!!!!

I'm not surprised, you have a way of overachieving:)

StephN 10-11-2010 04:43 PM

Dear Courtney -

Well GOL_L_E_E_, you sure did do the incredible shrinking brain mets thing. Wonderful news.

I don't recall that we have had anyone else on this board try adding in Boswellia with Tykerb. But this may be the start of some others giving that a go.

If I am remembering right, you had progression in your brain with Tykerb alone.

Will you continue with the vaccine trial?
Take care and DO enjoy the nice fall weather.

KDR 10-11-2010 05:47 PM

Courtney,
Great news! (Dancing...)
Karen

DeenaH 10-11-2010 09:10 PM

I'll post this here too...Congratulations on such awesome news! I am going to google Boswellia now. I've never heard of it. So happy for you!

mimiflower07 10-11-2010 10:24 PM

wow...thats so wonderful, don't u just need to catch a break where possible. you are so amazing..grace & dignity, you've got it lady! take good care...rest and enjoy the break fr thinking.
suz

Chelee 10-12-2010 02:34 AM

Courtney,
That's just amazing news...just got to love it. Just when the ppl at UCSF think they have seen it all along comes YOU. That's pretty exciting to be the first one to show shrinkage on the Gamma scan! Now it's one of those things that will have all of you left scratching your heads wondering which one is responsible for the shrinkage? (I do know Dr. Slamon talked to me about Tykerb since it's good at crossing the BBB.) But after the "combo" you had it's one of those things that make you go hummmmm? ;) (Would of been fun to be a fly on the wall as they read your scans over and over again.) lol

I'm so glad you got good news and can breath a little easier as you go into the Holiday season. I'll continue keeping you in my thoughts & prayers. Enjoy!

Chelee

Ellie F 10-12-2010 03:12 AM

Hi Courtney
Always knew you were remarkable! Now YOU have just proved it!
Hugs
Ellie

jml 10-12-2010 09:08 AM

Yaaaay! So thrilled for you Courtney!!!
It is your grace and dignity that helped me face my
bout with a brain met with courage and certainty that
we could zap it away.
Successful treatment for any one of us is a VICTORY for
ALL of us!

Keep the faith~

Jessica

CarolynME 10-12-2010 09:18 AM

Courtney,

I am so excited - Awesome Awesome news! I am so happy for you! You may be onto something with your medicine combo and brain mets. I am really glad your procedure went as well as possible.

Love,

Carolyn

bejuce 10-12-2010 01:21 PM

Wonderful news!!! So happy for you!!!!

Lien 10-12-2010 01:25 PM

Doing my happy Dutch clogdance for you! Wow, what fantastic news!

Love

jacqueline

Delaney 10-12-2010 01:44 PM

Courtney, so very glad all is going well for you. I must google Boswellia whatever it is, it must be magical. Very best wishes.

lexigirl 10-12-2010 02:05 PM

Wonderful news!! Shrinkage in our bc language is always very good! I am going to google boswellia too!

Hugs,
Lexi

DiDi70 10-12-2010 02:21 PM

Wonderful news! Woo hoooo!! I am absolutely thrilled with your news. Have a wonderful and blessed holiday season.

CourtneyL 10-12-2010 03:51 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Yes, definitely check out the papers on Boswellia. There are some threads about it here too so check the search function and you can read about our past experiences with it as well. I think Brenda may have tried it too.

I had been taking Boswellia at a low dose since my brain mets diagnosis but I went off it once I started the vaccine trial in May. Then all of a sudden, I get hit with brain mets again. I start taking the Boswellia at super high doses three weeks ago (1800 mg x 3 daily) and all of a sudden there is shrinkage. I KNOW that it is not the Tykerb alone. I started taking Tykerb 3 weeks ago as well but this is my second dance with Tykerb. My brain mets progressed (albeit slowly) while on Tykerb previously.

Another explanation is the vaccine. I got my first booster shot in September.

I don't care what is shrinking them. I am just grateful something is. But yes, I would encourage anyone who is interested to check out the info on Boswellia. It can't hurt to take it.

And Steph, to answer your question - yes, I will get to continue on the trial! I'll be up two more times for vaccine booster shots, once on November 16th and again in January date TBD. Hope to see you again during one or both of my trips!

DeenaH 10-12-2010 04:05 PM

That is just so amazing Courtney!

I just sent my info to Doreen at UDub to get the ball rolling on the vaccine trial. Right now I qualify, so I can't imagine why I shouldn't jump on it. I am so glad you get to continue with the trial.

After I posted here, I Googled Boswellia, and what little I had time to read sounds really great. I may even try it the next time I have a headache since it is sometimes used in place of Ibuprofin or Aspirin. I also forwarded it to my friend who struggles with Colitis. Thanks for the tip on using the search function here

CourtneyL 10-12-2010 04:12 PM

Glad to hear it Deena. The team at U of W is fantastic. Truly first rate. I think it would be a great thing for you to do at this point in your treatment - kill off all of those micromets that may be lurking by teaching your own immune system how to search and destroy!

For more info on Boswellia and breast cancer, check out this link and read the article on the right side column:

http://bcwatchdigest-brain.evidencewatch.com

flynny 10-12-2010 08:04 PM

Time to do the happy dance! That's incredible news! So excited for you.

schoolteacher 10-13-2010 06:13 AM

Courtney,

I am so glad to hear your good news.

Amelia