HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Lost my sister this weekend! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24521)

Sandy H 07-11-2006 07:17 PM

Lost my sister this weekend!

My sister passed away this weekend unexpectedly. She was only 57 years old last Monday the day she was admitted to the hospital. She had been battling a cold the past three weeks and a week ago yesterday she was taken to the hospital by ambulance. Her husband was told she would pull through but it would be a long haul for her. Then on Saturday she took a turn for the worse and passed away Sunday morning. It was determined she had a staph infection that went into the blood and her whole body. The antibiotics were very stong to fight the staph and shut her heart and kidneys down. The nurses told her husband that they are seeing this in the young and they are waiting too long to get treated as was her case. These infections are mutating so fast the antibiotics are unable to keep ahead of them. Very scary and I wanted to let everyone know that for us if we wait two weeks when we suspect something is wrong it maybe too late!!! Beware of your body. We are shocked as I or my siblings never thought my younger sister would go before me!!!! Just had to share this with you all. hugs, Sandy

Lisa 07-11-2006 07:26 PM

Sandy,
I can't tell you how sorry I am. This crazy thing called life leaves us all spinning.
I'm sending love and light to you both.

Lisa

Carol.hope 07-11-2006 07:27 PM

Sandy, what a sad loss for you. I am so sorry. Thank you for sharing this with us. Take especially good care of yourself right now, as you are precious to so many. My prayers are with you, and I know many others will be adding theirs, too. Peace to you.

- Carol

Barbara H. 07-11-2006 07:28 PM

Sad news

Hi Sandy,
First of all I want to say how sorry and shocked I was to hear about your sister. My heartfelt condolences go out to you and to your family. I have actually heard about these staph infections that are on the rise and are resistant to antibiotics. You just don't expect it to happen to someone who is young and strong. Again, I'm so sorry.
Thinking of you,
Barbara H.

PatS 07-11-2006 07:30 PM

I'm so sorry Sandy, what a shock for you and your family. I'll be thinking of you.

Pat

karenann 07-11-2006 07:47 PM

Sandy,

So sorry for your loss. I am sending hugs and prayers your way.

Love,
Karen

dawn 07-11-2006 08:25 PM

Sandy,

Im so sorry to hear of your loss, be strong and take care

Bev 07-11-2006 08:49 PM

So very sorry for your loss Sandy. Bev

chrisy 07-11-2006 08:54 PM

Sandy - I' so sorry to hear about your loss. What a shock this must be to your family - my prayers go out to you. You certainly didn't need another reminder that each day is precious.

Much love
Chris

lindaw 07-12-2006 03:06 AM

Dear Sandy

I am so sorry for your loss.

love
lindaw

bobbiw 07-12-2006 04:05 AM

My thoughts are with you Sandy.

Bobbi

IRENE FROM TAMPA 07-12-2006 04:18 AM

Sandy I am so sorry

I just can't tell you how shocked I was to hear this story about your sister.

Time is so fragile and this thing with these staph infections is something I have been hearing about lately.

I was in the hospital for a week with a staph infection on my arm. Lucky for me it did not go into my blood system. A cousin of mine who had a mastectomy 7 weeks ago was just re-admitted to the hospital with a staph infection that they found in an incision that did not heal on her. She went into renal failure and also had some heart issues. She was finally discharged yesterday and very lucky.

I pass all this along also to make people aware of how careful one has to be.

Again I am so sorry for your loss and can just imagine how devastated your family must be.

Take care Sandy

Joe 07-12-2006 04:40 AM

Sandy,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you, may the Lord watch over her soul.

Hugs
Christine and Joe

Sheila 07-12-2006 05:06 AM

Sandy

I am so sorry in the loss of your sister....and so suddenly...it is a constant reminder to all of us how precious sisters are and how precious life is...you are in my prayers.

Sandy H 07-12-2006 05:52 AM

Thanks for everyone who posted. I didn't do it for sympathy but to make everyone aware that we have to be careful where were spend so much time at the hospitals because this is where those infections usually come from. My husband got his 37 years ago from a VA hospital where he spent 9 months and will never get rid of it. It does show its nasty head in the form of abscesses in his leg (his injury from Vietnam). He has been since May 30th trying to get one healed up (spent 5 days in hospital) and probably will go back into the O.R. tomorrow for another cleaning and stitching of a huge tunnel that has not closed in. Knowledge is powerful and if this can save someone's life its worth posting. Sending you all back a hug. Sandy

RhondaH 07-12-2006 06:15 AM

Sandy...

I am SO sorry to hear of your loss not to mention her being so young and it being so unexpected. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

tousled1 07-12-2006 06:23 AM

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your sister. What a shock it must be to your entire family. Makes us realize just how precious life is. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

MJo 07-12-2006 07:17 AM

I want to add my condolences. This is a terrible thing. Please take care of yourself. I know two people who battled staff infections -- one after knee replacement and one after a bypass. This information is indeed a good reminder to us all. Thank you. Mary Jo

Jean 07-12-2006 07:28 AM

Dear Sandy,

My deepest regrets on the passing of your sister. I was so sad to read your post. Especially since it came from out of the blue, such a shock for you.

Sending you many prayers.

Warmly,
Jean

judiek 07-12-2006 07:46 AM

Dear Sandy,

I'm am so saddened to hear this news...what a shock for you and your family. My prayers go out to you and your family during this difficult time

Warmly,

Judiek

Barbara H. 07-12-2006 07:59 AM

article

There are many articles on the interenet about these infections. Since one of Sandy's intentions to make us aware of them, here is an article:
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/i...community.html
Best regards,
Barbara H.

CherylS 07-12-2006 08:19 AM

Sandy,

So sorry. May the Lord's presence with His love, comfort and peace surround you and your family.

Cheryl

madubois63 07-12-2006 08:20 AM

Oh Dear Sandy - I am so sorry. There is nothing I can say to make this any better. This is so terrible and such a loss. You and your family are always in my prayers...

AlaskaAngel 07-12-2006 10:09 AM

in support of more careful use of antibiotics

Dear Sandy,

I try to imagine what it would be like to lose my sister so suddenly, and I am so sorry at the news of your sister. I know you knew about the issue of staph infections but thank you especially in your time of hardship for as always bringing it to the attention of others who are immunocompromised.

So I will add a comment of my own about the issue of staph infections. One major reason the serious kind of staph infections have become more common is because so many people who come down with relatively minor illnesses that are very frequently viral in nature and do NOT benefit from antibiotics have pushed the doctors to give them antibiotics because they believe they might not have to put up with the minor illness for quite as long as it takes while their body fights it off on its own. This frequent use of antibiotics for the wrong reasons is resulting in more people who can become resistant to the first level of antibiotics and that ends up leaving only the ones used to fight the more serious kinds of staph infections. Doctors have been warning us about this problem for a long time. As I understand it, it has been decades since there has been the development of additional antibiotics.

AlaskaAngel

Vi Schorpp 07-12-2006 10:33 AM

I am so very sorry about your loss. Sisters shares a special bond. May you find comfort somehow. I will keep you in my prayers. Take care.

StephN 07-12-2006 11:24 AM

Dear Sandy -

Having roomed with you twice in San Antonio, I know you a little better. You are a very practical person with that Northeast "no nonsense" type personality.

We all certainly appreciate your posting this tragedy as a warning, but we can't help but be shocked and feel sad for the sudden loss to the family. (I could barely put myself in your shoes as I have 2 very dear sisters, both younger and in good health.) {{{hugs}}}

Regarding the staph germs - this is why they pumped me full of $1,600 worth of antibiotics while I was in the hospital last month with my lumbar drain. One other thing. When the resident chief came to see me and saw I had an IV in my hand, he ordered the nurse to remove it and use my port.

Also why my GP was shaking his head and rolling his eyes when he heard about my recent stay in the hospital. He knows those risks. Fortunately, I gambled and won this time.

sarah 07-12-2006 12:12 PM

Dear Sandy,
I am so very sorry to hear about your sister's sudden death. My heart goes out to you.
Sarah

Cathya 07-12-2006 12:27 PM

Sandy;

I am so sorry for your loss. You are so correct in reminding us about the dangers of hospitals but what a horrible way to be reminded. My thoughts are prayers are with you and your family.

Cathy

Sherry in WV 07-12-2006 12:58 PM

Heartfelt sorrow

for the loss of your sister. One thing I think that is so hard for us saddled with this disease is that we are Expected to die, but then someone so called healthy dies before us.
May God comfort you and help you threw ths very difficult time.
Sherry in WV

Tom 07-12-2006 02:12 PM

Dear Sandy,

I am very sorry for your loss. We often get so wrapped up in the whole breast cancer thing, that we forget that other family and friends can leave us in the twinkling of an eye. I hope God will comfort you through your period of grief and beyond. These events always remind me of just how close we all are on this board. We truly are one big family, and your loss is our loss as well. Please take care in this difficult time.

Sincerely,
Tom

sherri 07-12-2006 05:29 PM

Dear Sandy,

I'm so sad about your sister. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Big hug,

Sandy H 07-12-2006 06:05 PM

Thanks Barbara for the article. I read it and found it helpful because my husband is trying to get an abscess healed on his leg and he spent 5 days in the hospital in May. Now, I am really concern and will be even more careful for myself. Thanks for all your well wishes. I am doing o.k. still in shock but time will heal and I will focus on the memories we shared. Sandy

Berta 07-12-2006 06:32 PM

Sandy: My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. BERTA

Esther 07-12-2006 06:41 PM

Wow Sandy, so sorry to hear the news of your sister. That's certainly an unexpected thing to happen. Thanks for the information, it may help somebody else out.

Maggie 07-12-2006 06:43 PM

Sandy, I am so very sorry to hear about your sisters passing! A terrible shock to you all!

You and you family are in my prayers..

Maggie

Rendi69CA 07-12-2006 08:34 PM

I am so sorry for the lost of your sister. I will pray for you and your family.

Rendi Cotton

lu ann 07-13-2006 03:33 AM

Dear Sandy I am very sorry for the loss of your sister. So many times we go through life thinking we have so much time left. This proves how fragile life is. My deepest sympathy to you and your family. Lu Ann.

Shell 07-13-2006 06:07 AM

Dear Sandy-

I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers - be sure to take care of yourself during this difficult time.

Cordially,
Shell

Theodora 07-13-2006 07:56 AM

condolences

Hello,

I do not know you but yesterday I ws at the funeral of a very good friend of mine who as=lso unexpectedly lost her beatiful yonger sister. So sad, so very sad. My thoughts are with you. Love life, the way your sisterdid. Reach out to others, while thinking of her. Count on the strength and support of your friends, and know that though others do n ot know you, still we are surrounding you at thiw time.

Thea

Lee 07-13-2006 01:28 PM

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Sandy.

What an awful thing to have happen. Thoughts & Prayers are with you and your family.