HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Food column (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30489)

Believe51 11-08-2007 01:00 PM

Yumm!

Girls I love homemade guacamole too only I use fresh CILANTRO in the mix (probally in the dry mix Sheila buys). Brenda, meet me at my place and bring the girls, I am hungry too. Our granddaughter is coming tonight, she is 4 and looks forward to cooking for Grandpa Ed. Tonights menu WILL include guacamole thanks to you getting me going.>>Believe51

Andrea Barnett Budin 11-08-2007 01:23 PM

Cranberry Relish To Relish...

Hey Butch! Sorry, Brenda, I saw someone post calling you Butch -- from Bhutch I guess. You are so not Butch Babe! Any way just accidentally caught your request for CRANBERRY RELISH. My pleasure...

Buy fresh cranberries -- 4 12-oz packages in November, at their sweetest. You can freeze for future.

3 darkest red apples you can find -- cut up, slice and core -- THEN chop
1 yellow/slightly pink apple -- cut up, slice and core -- THEN chop
2L navel oranges -- remove pits -- THEN chop (reserve 1/8 peel for chopping)
4 dark tangerines -- remove pits -- THEN chop
4 12-oz pkgs cranberries -- wash and rinse in colander -- remove stems -- THEN chop
Add 3 cups of sugar

STIR ALL TOGETHER and REFRIGERATE.
I pour in to plastic containers w/tight lids.
Best made in advance -- allowing favors to comingle.

Every year at least one dghtr and niece calls me for recipe. Lost last yr's...
BIG FAVORITE. Good for over a wk...
Serves 20+.

As every good *cook* knows -- always had love!
http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06Andi

Andrea Barnett Budin 11-08-2007 01:33 PM

The Best Turkey Ever...

Must share my Friend-The-Caterer's TURKEY THE FAST WAY recipe. Succulent.

Fresh-killed (ordered in advance) 25-lb TURKEY -- wash inside and out and reserve innards for gravy. Rub turkey w/butter all around.

Stuff and pin closed
Place in L roasting pan on put on lower rack in 450-475 degree oven -- breast side down/covered w/foil for 1 1/2 hrs.

Turn and cover and cook for another 2 1/2 hrs. UNCOVER for last hour!

Baste often w/drippings.

I'll post the GRAVY FROM MY MOTHER recipe separately...

The bestest! Something else to really be thankful for...
Andi

Andrea Barnett Budin 11-08-2007 01:42 PM

Getting In The Mood For Thanksgiving!

TURKEY GRAVY

Add to boiling water: Carrot chunks, celery chunks, onion wedges +
giblets, neck, etc. from turkey. RESERVE LIVER FOR 1 HR...

Season boiling mixture w? Seasoned salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, garlic chips, broken bay leaf.

Bring to second boil. Cover on lower flame.

Cook 2 hrs. Add LIVER AFTER 1 HR.

Cool, strain, chop -- and reserve liquid.

Collect turkey drippings with baster. Skim fat off top.
Add chopped gravy meats and vegetables
Add sauteed and then chopped onions (2)
Add lightly sauteed and then chopped mushrooms (2 boxes)
Add reserved liquid
Add about 2 Tablespoons of flour mixed w/ about 1/2 cup of water -- to thicken
Stir all together in pot on stove till perfect.
Like a meal unto itself! Scrumptious.

Serve in gravy boat w/ladle for sliced turkey...
Andi

Mgarr 11-25-2007 09:59 AM

Tried a New Recipe

Hi ladies,

I tried a new recipe the other night. My favorite kind - a quick nutritious dish.

1 can wild alaskan salmon
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 c frozen peas
diced onions
dill weed (to your liking)
1 tsp. flour or cornstarch
1 tbsp. butter
brown or wild rice

melt butter saute onions. mix yogurt w/ with flour on low heat stir in yogurt , then salmon and peas. Add dill weed simmer for short time serve over rice.

Joan M 11-26-2007 08:52 PM

Thanks for the recipes.

I get home very late from work, so I'm always trying to prepare some meals for the week over the weekend or instead I cook something quick when I arrive home in the evening. I work from home on Tuesday, so that helps. (I don't work that late, generally leaving the office between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m., but I have a long commute and that's really the problem.)

I eat a lot of brown rice. I also broil or bake fish, such as salmon, flounder and sole.

I eat a lot of salad. I wash and cut up red tip lettuce, radicchio, and endive, for example, spin out the water and put the salad in a container in the refrigerator, which is easier than trying to make a salad when I come home late.

I also make a lot of stir-fried food, with fresh vegtables and sometimes boneless chicken breasts.

This is all very quick cooking.

On the weekends I make a large pot of tomato sauce, which I freeze in smaller containers. I use organic crushed tomatoes and organic tomato paste.

Sometimes when there's not much in the pantry, I slice and fry up a yellow platano, drain it, and make an omlette out of it. That's quick. I use organic canola oil and organic eggs.

hutchibk 11-26-2007 08:59 PM

Hey all who are using the Ritz Crackers in recipes - read the ingredients and you will find at least two of the yuckiest things that are often found in the boxed foods... Partially Hydrogenated Oil (wretched for a healthy body and should be avoided at all costs) and High Fructose Corn Syrup (also wretched and should be avoided at all costs). Just FYI.

Joan - you and I are dietary sistas. And I love my organics (including meats and dairy), whole and ancient grains and brown rice, fresh veggies/salads, and deep water fish. I try and afford as many organics as possible when shopping. I often err towards locally grown at the farmer's market, too - often a little cheaper...

juanita 11-27-2007 07:40 AM

Anyone know of a way to make a warm spot for bread to rise? I started a sourdough starter a few months ago. While it was warm outside I had no problem. But now that it's gotten colder it doesn't rise very well. I live in an OLD farm house and it is never really that warm in here during the winter. So how do I make a warm place for it to rise?

Believe51 11-27-2007 08:18 AM

Hey Juanita

Try using a heating pad but do not let it touch the dough. Place it on top of the bowl after first covering it with think dish towel (it will NOT get soggy if it is a towel, not Saran Wrap). When I do holiday baking I use a HEATED BLANKET that I place on top of Rubbermaid totes and I have a special bread blanket to cover it with first!! Wow that is a lotta bread!! Tehehe!>>Believe51

PinkGirl 11-27-2007 08:52 AM

bread dough rising

Hi Juanita

When I make bread, I preheat my oven (on low) and then
shut if off. That's where I put the dough to rise - covered
with a towel. I also put a small bowl of warm water in the
oven with it.

You can also sit the dough on top of the stove, covered with a towel. Then put your oven on low, and leave the oven door open.

lilyecuadorian 11-27-2007 08:57 AM

oh Pink Girl thank u for many secrets ..now I'm block w/ideas what to eat ...this is one of the hard part of all this ...what to eat everyday ....

juanita 11-27-2007 05:54 PM

Thanks for the hints! I make it again on Thursday so I'll let you know what works.

SoCalGal 11-30-2007 12:51 AM

Nothing better than my brisket:)

Flori’s Brisket Recipe – best prepared 2 days in advance<o></o>
<o></o>
  • (1) 4-5 pound whole brisket
  • (6 - 7) yellow onions
  • One can beer – regular size
  • Misc. seasoning (rub lightly with olive oil, then salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, Lawry’s seasoned salt, or whatever seasoning mix you like for meat)
  • (6) White potatoes
  • (6) Large carrots
  • 1 large (turkey size) baking pan – oval or rectangle aluminum foil type okay
<o></o>
Preheat oven to 350

<o></o>
  • peel onions and cut each into 6 wedges
  • put all onions in bottom of pan
  • heavily season both sides of the brisket
  • lightly season the onion wedges and toss around the pan
  • put the brisket in the pan – cover with a thin layer of the onions
  • pour the beer in the pan – pour down the side (not on top of the brisket) so it doesn’t wash away all the seasoning
  • cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake in a 350 oven for 3-4 hours (depending on size of brisket)
  • cut the potatoes & carrots into chunks and add them 1 hour before the brisket will be done
  • take the brisket out of the oven and let sit uncovered for 15 minutes.
  • slice a piece and TASTE A PIECE OF THE MEAT AND GRAVY. Adjust any seasonings now (add salt or garlic maybe). Cover the meat only with foil, tightly and put it in the refrigerator
  • put the carrots and potatoes in a separate dish, cover tightly and refrigerate.
  • put the gravy in another Tupperware, refrigerate. IF YOU USED A BAY LEAF, REMOVE AND DISCARD IT.
<o></o>
The next day the gravy will have an orange hard layer on the top. This is all fat and you should remove and discard it. Then, reassemble the meat, the potatoes, and carrots into a large glass Pyrex, or another square foil pan and dump all the gravy & onions on top. Cover tightly with tin foil and Reheat it on a low light (325 – 350 degrees) for about one hour or so, until it is hot and juice is boiling lightly. Then serve. Put the brisket on a platter, surrounded by carrots, onions and potatoes. Serve the gravy in a gravy boat on the side. ENJOY!

lilyecuadorian 02-04-2008 09:46 PM

If you have a BJ's close ...they sale a "crab meat gourmet Dip" really good ..deliccios is not a imitation ...and is soo creamy ...smell good ..with bagel's cracker's etc ...I' going to my country Ecuador for 7 days ..so I will eat some of "ceviche" fish ...shrimp, etc ...just fish and vitamin D3 ...if I get lucky with the sun ....

Bill 02-06-2008 10:18 PM

A few splashes of soy sauce, lemon juice, dill weed, garlic, onion powder, celery salt in a big skillet, and some butter, if you want. Simmer it until it looks and smells right, then throw in some salmon (or cod, or haddock) and coat both sides. Flip the fish all around with a spatula like you know what you're doing and once in awhile grind a small amount of black pepper into it, saying, "oh yeah, there we go". Once you think the fish is done, turn down the heat and throw in twice as much fresh spinach as you think you'll need, cover it then check it in five minutes, and then toss the mixture and add some shredded swiss cheese while saying," oh, yeah, that's what I'm talking about" , and remember, as you serve your guests, it's all in the presentation. Love, Bill

BonnieR 02-06-2008 10:26 PM

Bill, you should have your own cooking show!!

Bill 02-07-2008 05:27 PM

That's funny, Bonnie! Nicola used to call me "cookie", and said I was a natural chef, lol.

hutchibk 02-23-2008 04:18 PM

OMG, I just made this - WONDERFUL Spiced Plum Soup!

Garnish: Spoonsful of yoghurt swirled in each serving
Mix the plums, orange zest, orange juice, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and honey in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, till the fruit is very soft.
Purée the entire contents in a blender, skins and all. Stir in the yoghurt. If you plan to serve it cold, chill in the refrigerator for several hours.
When ready to serve, add more orange juice, if you like, to achieve your preferred consistency. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, then ladle into small bowls. Swirl a spoonful of yoghurt into each portion as a garnish.

Jackie07 02-23-2008 08:36 PM

Yummy! We need to continue this thread every day, so it will be visible for more people to contribute their recipes.

Bill 02-23-2008 08:54 PM

Wow, Hucklebuck, that sounds great. I've gotta try that.