HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My Freak Accident (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54799)

Vicki revised 06-21-2012 09:06 PM

Re: My Freak Accident

Wow! Hope it heals quickly without any complications!

Shobha 06-22-2012 08:24 AM

Denise,

Your spirit comes shining through this post - wishing you speedy recovery!

hugs,
shobha

Laurel 06-22-2012 05:26 PM

Wondering how the surgery went, Denise? Hoping you are all pinned together again and back working as a "hand model" for some snarky cream or nail polish manufacturer soon! I think you have your own "life comes at ya fast" commercial in the wings!

Hang in there!

greenacres 06-26-2012 02:24 PM

Just got back from vac and saw this Denise, I'm so sorry you went through this OUCH! Hope you are doing well by now! Hugs.

KDR 07-08-2012 06:11 PM

Denise,
How are you? Please give us an update when you can.
Thinking of you,
Karen

rhondalea 07-09-2012 08:46 PM

Arrggh! I'm such a loser! How on earth did I miss this? (And now I'm wondering what other shockers are in store when I continue the quest to get caught up.)

The telling of your tale is hilarious and a testimony to your ability to make sweet treats from sour fruit. Still...I can't believe this has happened to you.

Please let me know what I can do for you. I'm keeping busy, but there are no crises in my life, so it would not be any trouble at all to offer a hand when you need one.

<hugs>

NEDenise 07-19-2012 05:14 PM

Karen and Rhondalea,
So sorry it took me so long to reply. I wasn't exactly sure how to respond. At first, I was really frustrated by this latest infirmity...but I'm over being bummed, and am back to looking on the bright side of things. I realized that I didn't let cancer drag me down...so it was just plain ridiculous to let this situation get to me!

The arm looks good. My surgeon is to be congratulated. Me, who went for the DIEP reconstruction because I didn't want foreign bodies (implants) in me forever...well now I have a metal plate and like...8 or 9 screws in my wrist. Permanently!

The surgeon took off the giant splint/bandage "thing" last week and they make a custom, removable brace for me to wear. I can take it off to shower. I can wear it in the pool. But...my arm still hurts. And when I take off the brace to stretch and do the little exercises he gave me...it hurts more. (Now, we're not talking Taxol quality bone pain. Not even as bad as Neulasta. But...it doesn't go away, either)

I can drive, and do a few things around the house, but I never realized how limiting it could be to be unable to rotate one's arm. As long as my thumb is pointed straight ahead (or at the ceiling, when my arm is bent) I'm good. Rotate just a little, and OUCH! Perhaps, that's why he told me not to do that until at least after I see him next month. Duh!

But, that means...no cutting veggies, no carrying cups, plates or glasses, no un-screwing anything, no typing with both hands, no holding a burger with two hands, no painting my own nails, no folding laundry...you get the picture.

To the great relief of everyone else in my household, I can still clean the bathrooms, and load the dishwasher. And, once someone else cuts up all the raw ingredients, I can cook too. Beyond those few housekeeping tasks, my husband and sons couldn't seem to care less about tidiness...so my dust bunnies will still be waiting for me when my wrist gets a little more limber. :)

So...the short answer is:
I'm good! Thanks for asking!
You are both on my list, when I count my blessings! :)

Be well my friends!
Denise

LoisLane 07-20-2012 08:23 AM

Hi haven't popped in to speak to you in a little while. I am really annoyed that you are going through all this crap because they let bowlers go on the lane when it had been oiled! I agree with Bonnie I think you need to have some legal work done here. I am actually the last person to suggest legal actions because I hate how our society is always suing this person or that person for insignifcant things but YOU have a case and you should be compensated for this. I know legal fees can be hefty but many lawyers will take their payment out of settlement. Take care Denise you are really a trooper I would be quite pissed off...love lois

NEDenise 07-20-2012 09:13 AM

Hi Lois,
I did consult a lawyer (family friend), and sadly there is this thing called "assumed risk". It basically means that if you go bowling, you should assume that you could get hurt.

Evidently, unbeknownst to the rest of us...bowling alleys are routinely oiled. You're not supposed to walk on the oiled part. The oil is for the sole enjoyment of the bowling balls. Unfortunately, once I lost my balance...I didn't really have any choice about where my feet walked...and it did not end well.

On the bright side, my insurance covered the surgery, doctor...etc...so it could be worse. I just have to pay all the co-pays.

Thanks for your outrage on my behalf though! And thanks for the get well wishes!
Denise

KDR 07-20-2012 05:54 PM

Denise,
Sure hoping you are on the mend sooner than later. What a couple of years you've had! May the pain subside and your mobility return-
Your friend
Karen