HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Devastated - told weeks!!! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38224)

Donna 03-01-2009 03:44 PM

Dear Eric and Caryn,

You are in my prayers, with all of us praying and hoping something just has to happen that brings hope and light into your lives. Please know that you and your family are part of our family too - we are hoping and praying right along with you. Miracles do happen!

Love, Donna

WomanofSteel 03-01-2009 03:47 PM

Eric, I am so sorry to hear about Caryn. Please know that you are all in my prayers.

Mary Jo 03-01-2009 03:48 PM

Hi Eric,

I just got home and you, Caryn and the kids have been on my mind and in my prayers all day. I know it isn't much but I pray that knowing how loved you are and how much I (we all) care helps in a small way.

Asking God for a miracle.........

Mary Jo

Sherryg683 03-01-2009 03:59 PM

I don't know what to say, I feel sick to my stomach. Please know that I will pray for you, Caryn and your children. Do know that they can't tell you how much time she will have left. It could be much longer than weeks. My husbands secretary was told she had no more than months left, she had glioblastoma (brain cancer)...she is still here almost 2-1/2 years later. I am hoping that these doctors will put their heads together and come up with something that can help her...don't give up hope ..sherryg683

Jean 03-01-2009 04:02 PM

Eric,
I am sorry to read your post. My first thought is I am glad you are not giving up, maybe there is a new trial,
or treatment ...I am glad you made the calls to the top
dr.

I will pray that some one has an answer for you.
I keep you and Caryn and your children in my prayers.

Kindest Regards,
jean

juanita 03-01-2009 04:38 PM

it breaks my heart to hear this! so much going on in my personal life that has me messed up right now that this just brings me back down to earth. i'm sending lots of prayers your way

lkc Gumby 03-01-2009 05:05 PM

Eric I have not been on these boards in quite awhile and am saddened by this news.

Before I was diagnosed I nursed my mom who had BC mets to her liver. The lesions were too many to count and the onc told me it would probably be 6 mos, tops. ( She was 75 the time ) She responded to Taxol and and lived an additional 5 years of an active life.

Caryn sounds like she is obstructed, can they do a stent proceedure which will allow the liver to drain?
Please forgive me , but I believe where there is life there is hope.

I pray there is an alternative for Caryn, and I will hold you all in my prayers.

Kim in DC 03-01-2009 05:31 PM

I'm praying for you!

Jackie07 03-01-2009 05:31 PM

Sorry to hear the bad news. Seems one of our members has it in her signature that several years ago her liver was found to be 'full of tumors'. I wonder if the situation Caryn has is different because the location - you mention 'duct' - is hard to reach.

I know we are praying for a miracle. But miracles do happen sometimes. So we'll continue to pray for Caryn and your family.

charlotte 03-01-2009 05:58 PM

I am addding my prayers that a miracle will happen. You have the folks here sending up prayers that it will happen.

Gerri 03-01-2009 06:27 PM

Eric,

Praying that Caryn, you and your children have the strength you need to see you through this difficult time. Caryn is blessed to have you by her side.

Love to you,

lexigirl 03-01-2009 06:28 PM

Adding my prayers for Caryn right now. There must be another tx option for her.

I have a 12 1/2 and a 16 yr old, too. I have imagined in my mind how it might be to tell my kids this same news one day. It brings me to tears when I do think of this.

Please don't feel bad to share your feelings here with us. We can take it. We are in this together. For better and for worse. It's a sister and brotherhood that ties us together and gets us through the really hard trials with this disease.

Hang in there friend. Hope exists and miracles happen everyday.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

Becky 03-01-2009 06:31 PM

Eric

I know you live close to Philly. Go online and make an appointment with the Cancer Center of American there.

They are innovative and resourceful.

BonnieR 03-01-2009 08:17 PM

Nothing to add except my prayers and love.

StephN 03-01-2009 08:43 PM

Dear Eric and Caryn -

I echo Julie2 as I think you have been on this board as long as I have as well.

I see you have given this new news some quick consideration and put out some calls. Keep rattling their cages and jerking chains as you know about the "squeeky wheel" ...

My fervent prayers go your way for that miracle call back with a plan for Caryn.

Your children have lived with the threat of their mother going away for a long time, and I wish only the best blessings for their stout hearts.

Tom 03-01-2009 09:16 PM

First Thoughts

Dear Eric and Caryn,

I am praying for you both. My first instinct at reading your post, was to suggest that you ask about radio frequency ablation, thermal ablation, or interstitial laser techniques. These have seen success in primary and secondary liver tumors, and I believe have been used in other types of malignancies as well when ductal metastases have been involved. I obviously don't know the other details of Caryn's current disease status, but I thought I would offer this anyway. Try to stay strong Eric. Your wonderful wife and children need you now more than ever.

Sincerely,
Tom

Rich66 03-01-2009 10:12 PM

What about isolated hepatic perfusion? You posted about this previously. Any possibility of accessing it?

Rich66 03-01-2009 10:13 PM

1: Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2009 Feb;36(2):333-5.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/corehtml...ieronline2.gif Links
[A case of metastatic breast cancer with liver metastasis effectively treated with capecitabine and vinorelbine]

[Article in Japanese]

Inari H, Chiba A, Inaba M, Ino H, Fukahori M, Yoshida A.
Division of Breast and Thyroid Surgery, Kanagawa Cancer Center.
A 31-year-old woman with cancer of the right breast underwent surgery in 1996. Histological examination demonstrated a solid tubular carcinoma that was positive lymph node metastasis and hormonal receptor, but negative for HER2 expression. The patient underwent adjuvant therapy with CAF and tamoxifen. At the age of 40 years old, Multiple liver metastasis appeared to the patient. We treated her with paclitaxel. But multiple liver metastasis became progressive disease. Next we treated with capecitabine and vinorelbine. The liver metastasis reduced, and, in the eighth month, the liver metastasis disappeared after 9 cycles. We changed treatment to goserelin, and anastrozole. The period of complete response was 1 year 3 months.
PMID: 19223759 [PubMed - in process]

TerriC 03-02-2009 04:35 AM

Eric, I'm sorry for your news. My prayers are with Caryn, you and your family.

mts 03-02-2009 07:05 AM

Eric,

Please know you, Caryn and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Maria