HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Scanxiety Confirmed, Progression Shown (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43539)

Laurel 01-31-2010 09:34 PM

Re: Scanxiety Confirmed, Progression Shown

Sheila,

I am so sad that the Tykerb/Herceptin was not the one-two punch you needed. I am not as versed on this as many of the others on the site, but couldn't something be ADDED to the combo before giving up on it? Don't suppose you can do T/H/ and Avastin? Just thinking out loud here because I so want you to knock that evil crap back to hell where it came from.

You hang in there, Hon.

Jean 01-31-2010 10:33 PM

Sheila,
This is just rotten news....simply put.
Knowing you - you will gather up your strength and fight back even harder. Love you and keeping you in my prayers....you are my hero gal.

Big strong hug
Jean

Rich66 02-01-2010 12:55 AM

Ok..because I opened my trap on this earlier and folks might think I'm off my rocker (which I am):

Int J Oncol. 2003 Aug;23(2):369-80.
Induction of antiproliferation and apoptosis in estrogen receptor negative MDA-231 human breast cancer cells by mifepristone and 4-hydroxytamoxifen combination therapy: a role for TGFbeta1.

Liang Y, Hou M, Kallab AM, Barrett JT, El Etreby F, Schoenlein PV.
Department of Surgery, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, USA.
Mifepristone (MIF) is an antiprogestin with potent anti-glucocorticoid and anti-androgen activity. MIF also appears to have anti-tumor activity independent of its ability to bind to nuclear receptors. In this study, we tested the ability of MIF to inhibit the growth of ER and PR negative breast cancer cells. In addition, because high-dose anti-estrogen treatment has been shown to inhibit ER and PR negative breast cancer cells, we compared the anti-proliferative activity of MIF to that of the anti-estrogen 4-hydroxytamoxifen (TAM) or combination hormonal therapy (MIF + TAM). MIF and TAM therapy induced a significant time- and dose-dependent growth inhibition and, ultimately, induced cell death in MDA-231 cells as evidenced by increased DNA fragmentation, cytochrome c release from the mitochondria, and the activation of caspase-3. The anti-proliferative activity of TAM plus MIF combination treatment was at least additive as compared to either monotherapy. The earliest indicator of TAM and MIF cytostatic and cytotoxic action on MDA-231 cells was a significant (p<0.05) induction of TGFbeta1 secretion into the growth medium within 4 h of treatment. Secreted TGFbeta1 levels at 24 and 48 h were significantly higher in the TAM plus MIF treatment group as compared to cells treated with TAM or MIF alone. TGFbeta1 neutralizing antibody or addition of mannose-6-phosphate (M6P), a reagent also used to inhibit TGFbeta1, significantly attenuated the TAM and/or MIF-induced cell growth inhibition and cell death. In summary, our results indicate that MIF used in combination with TAM can effectively kill estrogen-insensitive human breast cancer cells. Our study further implies that agents that effectively increase TGFbeta1 levels in ER negative breast cancer cells may be one treatment approach for hormone-independent breast cancers.

PMID: 12851686 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Catherine 02-01-2010 08:49 AM

Dear Sheila,

I was really bummed to read your news. But really happy to see your cute face and the request for a hat trick. Well it looks like Dr. Bill may have referenced a chemical hat trick. Of course, I do not know what that study means. However, I am going to pray that the doctors mix up a love potion for you that will give you what you need. We are all behind you and want to help you anyway we can.

All the best, Catherine

Shobha 02-01-2010 08:52 AM

Dear Sheila,

Very sorry to hear your news. Adding my prayers that the next combo works miracles and put you back on the path of NED!!

Hugs,
shobha

Sheila 02-01-2010 10:42 AM

A quick update and thank you for all your support and information...the Avastin is approved, and I will begin tomorrow, so far no other agent. My muga last Thursday showed a major drop of 15 points, and now below 50....dont know if it was because I had it 2 days after my 3 week herceptin, the combo of the Tykerb/Herceptin, or the mass of lymph nodes in my chest pressing on my pulmonary artery...now I have to see a cardiologist...I asked about surgery or radiation, and was told i could get a consult, but it was probably a no....and now with Avastin, the surgery would be a no.
Just wish they were adding a chemo in...this has been a very trying week as my Dad was life flighted to a major heart institute in Illinois Saturday after suffering a heart attack...he had angioplasty and is doing amazing....he is so worried about me which makes all of this even harder.....so, cardiologist appt this week, Avastin tomorrow at 7am in Chicago...get the kleenex, let the nosebleeds begin....trying to stay focused and positive.

schoolteacher 02-01-2010 10:48 AM

Shelia,

Thanks for posting and letting us know what is going on. Glad they approved the medicine. Sorry to hear about your dad. You are in my prayers and thoughts.

Amelia

WolverineFan 02-01-2010 11:15 AM

Shelia,

I haven't been on the board in a few days and was very sad to log on and read your news. I am so sorry for you. Please know your faithful friends here are keeping you in their thoughts and are praying for you.