HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Sheila has earned her wings (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56789)

Mary Anne in TX 12-10-2012 07:41 PM

Re: Sheila has earned her wings

Bless you Jen. Whatever blessing you need day to day, may you receive it. Thank you for sharing with us the past few weeks. Sheila will always be loved and missed.

DanaRT 12-10-2012 08:05 PM

Jen, Carry with you the love and wonderfulness your mother gave you. I was privileged to spend a weekend with your mother in 2009(?) at Breastfest. My gosh, I so respected her knowledge and compassion of Her2. At that time, I was convinced I needed to be in a Neratnib trial. Sheila was a wealth of information including the correct pronunciation(!)...we laughed at the way I said the word. Gone too soon, tremendously honored to have known such a wonderful woman. Glad her fight is over, extremely sad that you've lost your momma. I truly repsected her. xo

lexigirl 12-10-2012 08:12 PM

Dear Jen,

Please accept my sincere condolences. I am very sorry for you and your family's loss of a wonderful mother.

Sincerely,
Lexi

evergreen 12-10-2012 08:24 PM

How brave your mother was. And such a role model.
She raised a faithful and loving daughter.
My greatest sympathy....

JillaryJill 12-10-2012 08:33 PM

Rest in Peace Dear Sheila. May God hold you in his arms and welcome you to the paradise of eternal life in Heaven. Love and prayers for Jen....your mother lives on through you.

Cathya 12-10-2012 08:46 PM

Jen;

I am so sorry to hear that you have lost your beloved mother. Sheila was a valued and wonderful gift to all of us and will be dearly missed....but not more than by her family so be assured that we will honour and remember her and think of those she left behind into the future. God bless.

Cathy

mamacze 12-10-2012 08:47 PM

Awwww, Jen; I am just heartbroken to hear that your loving kind hearted mom; faithful councilor to many many of us has passed on. May your family be blessed with her lingering love for you and Jazzy. May her kindness continue to pass forward through our members around the world. May she rest; pain free and joy filled while she watches you, Jazzy and your family with love and that twinkle in her eye. Having Sheila on earth was a blessing for all who touched her. God Bless you Jen and may you feel again the joy of your precious mom's everlasting love.
Love and hugs and love and hugs, Kim from CT

Mtngrl 12-10-2012 09:00 PM

Dear Jen,

I'm so sorry. I wish with all my heart you could have been spared the pain of this loss.

Thank you for keeping our community informed and sharing this time with us. Thank you, also, for trusting us with your feelings and reaching out. I hope we were able to help you.

My mom died a long time ago. I still feel her presence sometimes, though. I know she's helping me as much as she can. I see her in my children.

Sheila's strength, compassion, wisdom, and kindness will live on. She was such a good friend to so many of us.

I like the random act of kindness idea. I agree that the best way to honor Sheila's memory is to make a practice of being kinder than necessary. Everyone is, indeed, fighting some kind of battle.

I hope you will remember that we love you too and will help you any way that we can.

Stay in the light,
Amy

bejuce 12-10-2012 09:45 PM

I am so heartbroken to hear this. Sheila was one of the first ones to help me on this site and I'll never forget her loving smile. My prayers and thoughts are with your family at this difficult time.

SoCalGal 12-10-2012 11:29 PM

Dear Jen,
I am so sorry for your loss. Your mom was an inspiration - I always looked up to her in her grace and steady attitude in fighting this disease. May her memory comfort you and your family.

michka 12-11-2012 02:18 AM

Dear Jen, your Mom will be in my heart for ever. I am just one of the numerous persons she helped with her strength and kindness. Take care of yourself and of your family. Oh we will miss her so much! Michka

Ellie F 12-11-2012 04:27 AM

Oh Jen, so very sad to hear this news.your mum was a wonderful generous kind hearted person who helped so many to hang onto hope in times of desperation. I feel your loss and the pain it brings and hope that time will ease your grief a little. Your mum was so proud to have a daughter like you that I know she will be looking down on you with love everyday.
Hugs
Ellie

tricia keegan 12-11-2012 06:53 AM

My sincere sympathy to you Jen and to all your family at this very sad time, Sheila will be so badly missed here by all of us. xx

chrisy 12-11-2012 11:55 AM

I received a message this morning I wanted to share with you.

Like Sheila did, I have been getting up and leaving in the predawn hours for the 75 mile drive for chemo (mine is at UCSF) for years.

This morning on my way out I walked into the driveway to get the paper. It was cold and clear and of course very dark. I couldn't pick up the paper because, when I looked down, I saw that I was standing on it! When I finally figured out how to get my foot off the newspaper (ok, I don't drink coffee before the 1 1/2 hour drive). I grabbed it and stood up to see the brightest shooting star I had ever seen. Usually I wonder if I had imagined seeing it...but not this time. It soared brightly and almost purposefully for what seemed like several seconds and covered at least four inches of looking-at-the-sky distance. Doesn't sound like much when I say it like that, but it was a long way.

My mouth dropped open and I actually gasped when I saw it. Then unbidden, two words burst from my mouth all alone out in the driveway: THANKYOU. and SHEILA.

Here in the infusion room 5 hours later it sounds sort of WOO WOO and a bit Santa Cruz-y. But that's exactly what happened.

I love Sheila like a sister and will miss her dearly...but now I will always think of her soaring across the early morning sky. And somehow tricking me into stepping on the newspaper so I would look up at just the right moment to see it.

karen z 12-11-2012 12:54 PM

Thank you Chrisy for telling us this. Sheila was/is spectacular and powerful.

Jen 12-11-2012 01:33 PM

Sheila's husband my brother, sister and I met at the funeral home to go over final arrangements I asked if Mom had been creamated yet and they said "No she is downstairs" I asked if I could see her one last time they said yes so I got to kiss her one last time and touch her face and tell her how much she is loved and will be missed. She looked like she was sleeping and at peace.

Paty 12-11-2012 02:53 PM

She is sleeping and at peace my dear Jen, be sure of that.

Adriana Mangus 12-11-2012 03:00 PM

Dear Jen,

I'm sorry for your loss.

Your Mom was a very special lady, she meant a lot to me and to a lot of women on this site. She will forever be remembered and never forgotten.

I'll be more than happy to provide a gift in your Mom's name.

Love,

Adriana

Adriana Mangus 12-11-2012 03:04 PM

Dear Jen,

What a beautiful way to say goodbye to your Mom,
her spirit however remains on Earth.

Think of the happy moments you two spend together, what food she loved the most, movies, music, etc. Talking about our loved ones likes and dislikes its a beautiful way to keep their presence in our lives and it sure brings comfort to our heart.

Hugs,

Adriana

sassy 12-11-2012 03:22 PM

Sheila was a warm and loving spirit that will continue to be so as she moves on to the joys of heaven.

She will be greatly missed.

mamacze 12-11-2012 03:26 PM

Chrisy - that was not Woo Woo; that was Sheila - and all of our other shining stars...how lucky for you that you witnessed their arms wide open.
xoxo
Kim from CT

Jen 12-11-2012 05:22 PM

http://www.ottawafuneralhome.com/sit...=841667Rawlins Here is her Obituary on the funeral homes website.

Ottawa Funeral Home
1111 Lasalle Street
Ottawa, IL 61350
(815) 433-0300
http://www.ottawafuneralhome.com/?page=directions

Jen 12-11-2012 05:36 PM

If you need any additional information my phone # is 815-250-3136 or PM me on here.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Evans

Yorkiegirl 12-11-2012 06:03 PM

Jen I am so very sorry for your loss of your Mom. Sending out many prayers for you and family during this most difficult time.

chicagoetc 12-11-2012 06:19 PM

Just wondering. Besides hopefully Donna and myself, are there other Her2support folk who are close enough to be there Sunday and/or Monday? Melanie

caya 12-11-2012 10:11 PM

Jen I am so sorry for your loss. I will never forget your mother, she was a pillar of strength and grace here.

May her memory be a blessing to you and your family.

all the best
caya

radiant 12-12-2012 01:35 AM

What a great request to ask us to do in your mom's honor. No Problem. Hugs,

Kim

Paula O 12-12-2012 05:42 AM

I'm so sorry.

(((Hugs))),

Paula

Marlys 12-12-2012 09:20 AM

Jen, I am so sorry to hear about Sheila. My mother died on December 10,1947. I was 9 years old. I have so often wished I could have known her as an adult. I want you to remember the wonderful opportunity you have had in having this beautiful woman for a mother. We were both nurses and I have always felt especially close to her. I will miss her wisdom and loving demeanor forever. I want you to know that a memorial page will not make her loved and remembered more.
Love & Hugs,
Marlys

Shobha 12-12-2012 10:57 AM

Jen, so sorry for your loss. Sheila was full of grace and incredible fighting spirit - I will also remember her forever.

hugs,
shobha

Joan M 12-12-2012 12:11 PM

To my warrior sister Sheila, RIP. Your perseverance and spirit are an example to all of us and gives me strength. Missed you this year at SABCS.

Joan

Bill 12-12-2012 05:07 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this. Sheila was truly one of a kind. I remember how excited she was back when I was perfecting my cupcake bush. Jen, you and the rest of your family are in my prayers.

Becky 12-12-2012 09:21 PM

I have just returned from a business trip and came on only to find out this news. I knew it was coming but my heart is broken, broken in two.

Sheila was on this board before me and I joined in 2004. Sheila and I were roommates at SABCS many, many times. I got to know her very well in our travels and I truly love her as a sister. She was there for everybody on this board and I know she worried and cared for us more than herself but not more than her family. She was truly an amazing woman. I have not stopped crying for the last hour since I read that Sheila passed on and that she has been gone for two days and I didn't even know.

I have dreaded this day for your family and for us because Sheila was so incredible. She taught me to never give up and that something wonderful could be just around the corner if you would only look. I was so fortunate to have met Sheila and was able to really know her year after year. You were lucky to always have her and we (and I) were lucky to have her alittle bit.

I will never forget Sheila. Her spirit and tenacity. She never gave up and made everyone feel they could do anything. I loved her so much.

Gaver 12-13-2012 08:35 AM

I am so sorry for your loss,Jen...so sorry...just remember she will always be with you...ALWAYS....May God help you and your family through this terrible time....Your mom will be at peace now....

MJo 12-13-2012 10:32 AM

Sheila was a a very fine woman. She was loving and encouraging when I was crazy and miserable from treatment. I will join my sisters on this board in doing random acts of kindness in her honor.

I love what people have said about parent in spirit. My father passed in 2002 and I am certain that his spirit stuck around for a while to make sure we were ok.

caroline96 12-13-2012 12:01 PM

Sheila was always strong in spirit. She was also caring and supportive of everyone here. I am sure even in heaven, she will always be Sheila that we all knew and watch over us.

I will certainly do random acts of kindness in her honor.

KsGal 12-14-2012 04:19 AM

Many prayers to you and your family for peace and strength during this difficult time. Chrisy, I loved your story about the shooting star, and what a wonderful gift that was.

jml 12-14-2012 03:50 PM

Dearest Jen~
I have no words to begin to express my sadness at the loss of your beautiful Mom and the heartbreak I know your family is enduring right now.
So instead I'll share with you beautiful words that I clung to when I lost my dad in April, and bring tears to my eyes and a smile to lips whenever I read them again.

"A luminous light remains, Where a beautiful soul has passed."
Antoine Boveau

"Death is nothing at all..."
Henry Scott Holland
http://www.wowzone.com/death.htm

God bless you Shiela and may comfort come quickly to the hearts of your family, friends and all who love you so dearly, including your sisters here.

Jessica

Dx-5/17/02 - 33 yo; Stage IV - L IDC w/single liver met
1) Herceptin + Navelbine x 8 weeks - No response; progress to innumerable,immeasureable liver mets
2) ISIS 2504 + Herceptin - 6 mos, partial response
3) Taxol + Herceptin x 13 weeks to NED!
NED for 1 year
9/04 - Single liver lesion recurrence
Taxol + Herceptin - on/off to beat back lesion
12/05 - R Hepatectomy; Liver NED until 2009
3/06- Local recurrence - Left breast, IDC & DCIS, but holding treatment while continue to heal from Hepatectomy.
12/06 - L mastectomy + reconstruction through 8/07
10/07 - Recurrence - supraclav nodes
4) Gemzar + Herceptin - on/off controlling nodes thru
9/08 - 7wks Rads to supraclav nodes
10/08 - Acute Renal Failure - nodes in belly stricturing kidneys. placed permanent ureteral stents
Back on Gemzar + Herceptin, but no longer responding.
5) 05/09 - Tykerb + Xeloda - partial response x 5 mos
6) 10/09 - Xeloda + Herceptin - no response, disease progresses
7) 2/10- Ixempra + Herceptin - partial response x 12 wks.
Discovered single brain lesion x 4mm & liver lesions growing while screening for TDM1 + PI3Kinase study.
6/10 - Novalis to treat brain met - SUCCESSFUL!
8) 6/10 - Chemo-embo w/Adriamyacin to de-bulk liver lesion.
9) 8/10 - Screened & Started TDM1 EAP
Immediate response, disease in belly responds dramatically.
2/11- questionable progression of lung nodules
Discontinue TDM1
10) 3/11 - PI3Kinase + Herceptin - intial good response in 1st 6 weeks but LFT's elevated.
11) 7/11-Discontinue PI3Kinase + Herceptin study;
Disease progression - 2 small lesions in colon – docs have never seen this before in BC
11) 8/11 –Start new combo Halaven+Herceptin
10/14/11 -Completed 3 cycles (9 wks)Halaven+Herceptin...
10/18/11 - Scanxiety time -1st scans since starting this regimen
Good interval response, continue on H+H!
10/25/11 – new 2mm questionable spot in brain? Due to Novalis or new disease?
Re-scan in 8 weeks.
1/3/12- Disease progression; 50%increase size & SUV-R lung, middle lobe 6cm lesion.
R supraclav node multiple, miscellaneous nodes in belly. Colon lesions fired up.
12)Herceptin+ metronomic Cytoxan + Methotrexate.
…on a hope & a prayer. Only chemo I haven’t been on is Taxotere.
Hurry up Pertuzumab & TDM1!
Follow Up Brain Scan on 1/18/12…pleasepleaseplease be okay. I can’t take much more.
1/18/2012- 8 new spots in 8 weeks since last Brain MRI
one 2cm spot in brain stem, one 2cm spot in R temporal lobe.
No symptoms, THANK GOD!
1/25/12 – Start WBR x 15 rounds
2/10/12 – Oral Cytoxan WORKING! Melted supraclav node & undetectable by US!
2/14/12 – FINISH 15 rounds WBR;)
6/12/12- Continuing on oral Methotrexate BID & Cytoxan qpm, but on chemo break
for 3rd week due to low counts.
6/15/12 – Yay! Resume chemoJ
6/25/12 – Chemo break again due to low counts L
6/28/12 – PET Scan & Brain MRI this week…
NED IS BACK!!! NED in the HEAD, NED in the BODY!
10/26/12 – Still NED in the HEAD, but single troublesome node in chest, precariously close
to superior vena cava/heart. Not a perfect scan, but pretty darn good.
Maintain current treatment and
Echocardiogram on 11/1 to keep an eye on node.
11/1/12 –echo shows normal cardiac function J & node non-threating,
but experiencing symptoms of Superior Vena Cava Syndrome (obstruction/compression)
12/3 - hold cytoxan & methotrexate bc counts too low.
12/13-moved up PET scan due to increased SVC symptoms
12/14 –No more NEDL node progression causing increased SVC symptoms
12/17 – repeat echo & new chest mri for closer look…
Sad, scared, heartbroken

Pray 12-16-2012 11:40 PM

Melanie, I had the honor and the pleasure of meeting Shiela's family today at the funeral home. Jennifer's heart is obviously broken as is the rest of her family. Shiela is so loved! What a wonderful large family she has. What good people they are. She had such a full and beautiful life. I will be thinking and praying for Shiela, her daughter Jennifer and all of her loving family as she is taken to her final resting place this morning. Gods blessings to the whole family this day. May the peace of the Lord be with them always. Your friend, Nancy

chicagoetc 12-17-2012 05:20 AM

Nancy, Thanks and glad you were able to go yesterday for the visitation and prayers. My apologies for not getting back to you earlier. Donna and I plan to be there this morning. I don't know that/if anyone else from HER2support can go (almost everyone being a very long distance from Morris/IL). But we can hopefully represent in small part how important she has been here and to so many others. Peace, Melanie