HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Are blood tests really that important in follow up care? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62441)

rhondalea 01-05-2015 02:41 PM

Re: Are blood tests really that important in follow up care?

I had to laugh at some of the comments. I couldn't comment myself because they were already closed, but I loved the ones who thought it wasn't the fault of the earlier doctors for not figuring out that Betsy was taking the supplement.

I take a bunch of supplements. Each time I go to the doctor--any doctor, every doctor--I take a list of every single one, including dosages and the times of day they're taken. None of those doctors look at my list. Even when I started chemo and the pharmacists went through the list, several antioxidants were missed. It was only because I understood that "antioxidant" was the operative word that I knew what additional supplements I needed to give up for the duration.

I had this conversation with my PCP a few months ago. She does try to listen, but she says it's difficult because doctors just don't have time any more because of managed care. I don't know if I believe that, though. After all, my gynecologist doesn't take insurance at all, but it seems to me my endocrinologist spends more time with me than she does, even though I know for sure that he has more patients.

JessicaV 01-06-2015 02:48 AM

Spitfire, I just wanted to add that you sound...tired, stressed, a bit alone. When I feel like that I sometimes just cannot take action on the things that bother me. Sometimes I just don't have any energy or confidence left for conflict. It is just hard enough keeping my head above water and I cannot do any more. It took me nine months before I could even start to battle with my income protection insurance people over getting paid on a policy that had been sucking up about $7000 a year in premiums. They said they couldn't do anything without profit and loss accounts, which I had not done and did not know how to do, and was not well enough to be able to do. Then they worked out a minimal payment, and I just accepted that for about 3 months till I was determined enough to struggle through the bookwork to complete the profit and loss accounts that proved what they should have paid me. I was actually quite sick for about 3 weeks after doing that work because I got incredibly tired and have cognitive fatigue, and my oncologist had told me not to do that sort of activity because it would delay my healing. So take the time you need, and know that we are behind you and support your choice in how you handle this. You don't have to follow our suggestions, you just have to do what is right for you, and if we can help, please let us do so.

SpitFire 01-09-2015 09:36 AM

Thank you everyone for your great advice and for sharing your wisdom and experiences. I have a 25% chance of distance recurrence. I am not going back to my oncologist. I am taking steps to find another oncologist.