HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hospital stay & Hair Loss...makes for a full week:( (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57248)

yanyan 02-06-2013 12:59 PM

Re: Hospital stay & Hair Loss...makes for a full week:(

Dear Jessica, I am sending you big hugs...You are an amazing and courageous woman. I hope you will have a smooth ride on the way to NED !!

carlatte7 02-06-2013 02:11 PM

Oh myyyyyyy...i've got nothing witty to say...i'm a nurse and i fix things. What i cant fix makes me angry and i trample it. what i cant trample underfoot makes me sad too. Please feel that i am keeping you in my thoughts and am lifting you in prayer. ((Hugs))

ElaineM 02-06-2013 03:37 PM

Sorry to hear about the staph infection and all the other troubles.
Have you tried tea tree oil toothpaste mixed with a little baking soda or tea tree oil mouthwash? Both are anti bacterial and might help to reduce or prevent mouth sores.
I know things are pretty rough right now, but try to look to a future with less cancer and less troubles. Maybe if the new combo is causing alot of side effects it is also killing alot of cancer.
Take good care of yourself.

chrisy 02-06-2013 04:23 PM

Oh Jessica,
I know about those "surprise" hospital admissions and they are the worst. But they are sometimes necessary and I'm glad the infection was able to be brought under control. And especially that you are home again.

I can feel your weariness and frustration.

You have every reason to be tired...maybe when you say that what you mean is just that you are tired. And as you get the awful side effects under control and continue to recover from your surprise vacation you may feel less tired. Remember you are also recovering from radiation and seemingly endless chemo. I was reading the gemzar/carbo side effects and when they talk about fatigue it was like, "no worries, you will fully recover within a year after finishing chemo". Do they not know who they are dealing with? We have to, and do, recover after every treatment! But now I know why it is so hard and it reminds me to be gentle with myself and if I want to lay on the couch all day like a dog it's ok.

The hair thing. I get that - in fact I'm waffling on whether to order some special shampoo because I might not need it in a month or two! And no matter how good you look in your wig (I've seen it and at the risk of making you scream, I didn't even know it was a wig and was SOOOO jealous of your hair) or rockin' something else, every time you look in the mirror - hair, no hair, hat, no hat - it is a reminder that all is not right with the world.

Yet what amazes me is that despite all that, you are still thinking so clearly about what is the best course for your next infusion. You are really something, girl!

My offering on the mouth sores: I had the miracle mouthwash and some kind of gel (like how do you get that to stay in place when it's under your tongue?) and some mouthrinse called Rincinol. But what worked best was having a bottle of water with salt and baking soda in it in EVERY room, and swishing with that every time you passed one. You will get it under control, I know.

Jessica, please know that you are in my constant prayers and thoughts.
Chris

Joanne S 02-06-2013 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh Jessica! My heart goes out to you. Sounds like an awfully rough time you had, but so glad you're doing better now. My hope and prayers for your continued improvement.
Healing Hugs Jo

Dear Lord, Please have mercy and lay your healing hands on our sister Jessica. And I pray for your mercy of all those in sickness, those suffering with mind and body pain, and all those here stricken with cancer. I pray for your healing miracles and peace on earth! I pray in your name Jesus Christ! Amen!

Laurel 02-06-2013 06:29 PM

Jessica,

All I can do is promise to keep on praying. I hope these dark days are behind you and the sun comes out again! Spring is on the horizon, may you be up and running by the time daffodils bloom!

Catkins 02-09-2013 04:22 PM

Hi Jessica

I'm sorry you ended up in A&E and hospital for five days.

This happened to me too after the first round of FEC. Neutrophils went down to 0.37 and I got febrile neutropenia.

It is very scary having to go to A&E but you did the right thing.

You are doing so well. 10.5 years and beyond is a huge achievement.

Please don't give up. This too shall pass. Brighter days are ahead. Spring is just round the corner.

With best wishes

Catkins