HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Update on Barb 12/28 (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56934)

sassy 01-07-2013 06:28 PM

Re: Update on Barb 12/28

Mike,
I am keeping you, Barb and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

KDR 01-07-2013 07:56 PM

Mike
I think Kim's idea of tumor profiling is great. Also, you should be able to get Perjeta now with the new guidelines set forth by the NCCN over the last two months. Perhaps the combo of T-DM1 and Perjeta could work?
Thinking of you,
Karen

mamacze 01-08-2013 07:20 PM

Hi Mike,
Barbs oncologist is right; it may not work well for breast cancer; but then again... it may. Shoot, if you send tissue to Precipio (or a similar lab), the worst case scenario is they find nothing and you end up where you are now. ON THE OTHER HAND, they may identify a mutation and a treatment or clinical trial that will successfully target it - and you are light years ahead of a "try this and if it doesn't work; try that" approach. I vote for pushing for a tumor profile - you have nothing to lose and much to gain.
At the end of the day; I pray that you are able to set aside the feelings of anxiety and urgency and immerse yourselves in the loving joy of your relationship.
Hugs,
Kim (from CT)

Pray 01-08-2013 10:13 PM

Mike you and Barb are always in my prayers. I pray you will find the right combination to destroy those dam mets. Peace my friend, Nancy

MikeF 01-09-2013 05:23 AM

Talked to Barbs Onco assistant yesterday they have agreed to send slides to Precipio and ask insurance for access to Perjeta. Im told because she had Neulasta last Tuesday she couldnt have any treatment this week so were shooting for early next week. Maybe if they get her started on Herceptin again and the Perjeta they can get it contained. She hasnt been on Herceptin for a while just briefly when he tried the Navelbine again. Apparently my insurance wouldnt allow it while on Haloven and also when they combined Tykerb and Zeloda. Im alittle anxious about the Precipio thing I felt they should send a fresh biopsy from a new site like the nodes around her neck rather than a two year old biopsy. Also insurance doesnt recognize Precipio.

Paula O 01-09-2013 05:33 AM

I am praying, Mike and rooting for you guys.

Paula

KDR 01-09-2013 12:54 PM

I'm with Kim on this. Wishing you well,
Karen

phil 01-09-2013 02:33 PM

Hi Mike, have been following your battle , praying hard. profiling sounds good, what about a2nd opinion , maybe at Duke. I know Dr. Kim Blackwell there is known for thre t dm-1 work , but they probably do a lot of bc research in general . have experience w/ many combos, herc /pert, etc. God Bless, Protect , and Heal Brother !

MikeF 01-09-2013 03:09 PM

We have a second opinion at Presbyterian Hospital Charlotte scheduled for Jan 29 they have a breast specialty program thats been highly recommended. For now we are waiting for approval of Perjeta and all looks good there. Still not sure what to think about the profiling thing. The impression Im getting here is its still going to point towards Her2+++ and treatment will not be any different?????????????????????

phil 01-10-2013 08:04 AM

I was thinking of it as both a re-biopsy , as bc can change growth factors from er+ to her2 +, etc., and profilingcould help direct tx from there . sorry if i wasnt clear, glad you are getting 2nd opinion at top facility. God Bless

mamacze 01-11-2013 01:29 PM

Hi Mike,
I am just leaving for vacation but so glad I checked in because I want to refer you to an earlier thread (November '12) that describes my experience with tumor profiling - I share this simply to give you an example of the information that MIGHT be gleaned in addition to Her2 ++++.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...hlight=mamacze
Good luck and God speed to you both.
Kim (from CT)

MikeF 01-16-2013 01:02 PM

We have approval for Perjeta!!!! Barb starts Perjeta/Herceptin/Taxotere tomorrow morning. It wont be soon enough for her Im sure. There is considerable progression in the Lymph Nodes around her neck and under her left arm with a little recent edema in her left arm. We have her arm wrapped and cant wait to get in there in the morning. Thanks again for all the prayers and encouraging words. Keep the prayers coming

Sdgirl 01-16-2013 01:13 PM

Mike,
I hope this is the magic bullet and Barb does well on this. I look forward to hearing you post good news with perjetA and tax combo!

chrisy 01-16-2013 05:00 PM

Good news, hope this combination gets things back under control quickly and I too am looking forward to hearing you post the good news!

LeahM 01-16-2013 05:23 PM

Yay! Good news. Hope more follows!
Leah

Mtngrl 01-16-2013 07:58 PM

Let's hope this is a winning combination. There's a lot of reason to hope.