HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   From the CBS Early Show Do you agree with this thought? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48389)

Barbara2 01-12-2011 11:33 PM

Re: From the CBS Early Show Do you agree with this thought?

Early in my cancer journey, people said to me "You're a fighter," or "be strong." I wondered if this might actually make a difference, and if so, then I needed to somehow find a way to be positive and strong. (I understand, though, that people sometimes struggle with what to say, and they may feel that these are encouraging words.) And, finding the silver lining in all of this, and enjoying each day as it comes, sure makes the cancer take a back seat once in a while.

In time, though, I came to believe that cemeteries were filled with people who tried to be "strong" or a "fighter." Many years ago my father died from liver cancer and he SO wanted to live; he was fairly young, active, loved life, and valiently fought the disease. He died from cancer, though, and not from not fighting hard enough.

I wonder if Dr. Phillips really believed that "how you go into it is what you get out of it?" I had similar thoughts about this kind of advice when we learned that Elizabeth Edward's cancer had come back and some of the reports made it sound like that was no big deal.

Stress...my feelings are that it very possibly contributed to my cancer. I became a sponge for stress at a very young age.

Mary Jo 01-13-2011 07:41 PM

As the saying goes..."attitude is everything" - well, as far as living life goes. Of course a positive attitude improves our overall well being.....and when I say that I mean, happiness...less stress and just an overall joyful spirit HOWEVER does it mean you will beat cancer. Not a chance. It is a crap shoot, no doubt, and I'll stand behind that till my dying day.

We're all going to die someday....positive attitude or not! So, live your life.......be happy.....try to be as positive as you can....just because it's a better way to live, but it's not going to "save" any of us.

Love you guys....

Mary Jo

joyce lutz 01-15-2011 06:27 PM

I don't believe a positive attitude will cure cancer, but I definitely believe it can extend one's life to some degree. But how will we ever know for certain? So for now I'll do my best to keep positive thought going and lots of prayers for my daughter and the rest of you gals on the boards! All my best
Joyce

tricia keegan 01-15-2011 06:37 PM

I agree with MaryJo and she said my feelings exactly:)

Debbie L. 01-15-2011 07:59 PM

The other thing about this is that if we are not, at some moments, in that place where we have positive thoughts -- it really doesn't help us to hear that we SHOULD have them. I think our society is often reluctant to acknowledge and validate that none of us are thinking those lovely thoughts of gratitude and positivity at every moment. I think that the way to get to those positive, healing thoughts is to allow the not-positive ones to be there, when they need to be. If we don't allow and explore them, our "positivity" will not be genuine.

We all come with different balances. Some or us are naturally up all the time -- kudos to you! Some bounce back and forth. It's only when we begin to feel permanently stuck in at the negative end of the spectrum that we need to be concerned, and to seek help. I know that's not always an easy line to draw - are we just visiting the dark side, or are we getting mired there?

I think we all benefit from acknowledging when we're visiting the dark side. Just as we do from acknowledging and sharing when we move to the positive, grateful side. But it's simplistic to think that if we point out that life is better when we "think positive", we'll all move effortlessly in that direction. It's much more complicated than that.

Debbie Laxague

Sherryg683 01-15-2011 08:39 PM

I can't stand this kind of statement. I am constantly being told that I am doing so well because of my positive attitude and the way I have continued living my life. Well..my attitude is not always positive, it has been along the way very gloom and doom. And I have had no other choice but to live my life, some point along this journey, I decided that I had better start living because I could be dead tomorrow...not really all that positive really. Another thing I hate hearing is along the line of "If you just believe, God will heal you". I always feel like saying "so I get sick again it's my fault, because I didn't have enough faith". Michael Douglas is far from being able to say that he positively beat this and if it does come back are they going to then retract their statment and say, he wasn't positive enough. ..sherryg

Jackie07 01-15-2011 09:37 PM

Found these two American Cancer Society links that seem to be related to the topic:

http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/EmotionalSideEffects/attitudes-and-cancer

http://pressroom.cancer.org/index.php?s=43&item=179

On a personal note: My Father, who's turnning 96 this summer, is one of the most 'negative' person I know. I don't think he's ever been very sick in his whole life. He had had a tough life for the first 65 years of his life and he's mellowed a lot since retiring the 2nd time 31 years ago.

My Mother, who's turning 88 this summer, used to be the most positive, passionate and kind woman I know. She has changed into a negative, whinning person ever since she had been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma 12 years ago.

I had to do my own research and learning to fend off all the blames and accusations before my 'life-long' brain tumor was diagnosed. The superstition and taboos introduced to me after the breast cancer diagnosis by both the young and the old, the educated and otherwise, truly have amazed me.

Rich66 01-16-2011 12:02 AM

It's all about which side you part your hair on...or not.

AlaskaAngel 01-16-2011 10:34 AM

It would be meaningful to find out, though, whether those who part their hair on the left, the middle or the right live the longest -- as well as which ones felt best about their lives.

A.A.

Becky 01-16-2011 11:55 AM

Well... prior to cancer I had long hair that I parted in the middle.

Since sporting a shorter do, I part on the left and I am still NED. I am NOT going to start a poll about this though:)

harrie 01-19-2011 12:52 AM

To me, because cancer is such a multidimensional disease, there is no one direct cause or cure, no one shoe to fit all. I believe attitude may impact the disease and the course of the disease. For some lucky few, yes I do believe it may possibly cure or put into indefinite remission.
If you look at some double/blind experiments, and the placebo effects. Does that not show how the power of the mind can potentially work for some people?

Jackie07 01-19-2011 03:45 PM

http://www.rd.com/health/easy-new-ye...rkid=ERDI22938

Jackie07 02-03-2011 11:46 PM

I've always been a 'positive thinking' believer. But the following interview (full of 'positive' laughters :) is focused on 'negative thoughts':

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...0/david-rakoff

ps. This was posted yesterday by the staff of an on-line braintumor support group. Obviously an important topic for cancer survivors...

MJo 02-05-2011 09:34 AM

To those of us with negative parents -- My mom is 84 and her health tests are better than mine. She has been negative as long as I remember. I think she gets the anger and anxiety out of her system and gives it to me and my brothers.

As for Michael Douglas, my beef with him is that I've never heard him refer to other cancer patients or survivors. It's all about him.

tricia keegan 02-05-2011 02:12 PM

Referring to Beckys comments on her hair, I also part mine on the left now it's short:)

Maybe we all should all do that? Seems to make as much sense as a positive attitude curing us !

Rich66 02-05-2011 05:13 PM

Gathering anecdotal evidence is pointing to the benefit of being a negative, whining complainer from an early age. Of course, maybe complaining is some people's method of coping with the human condition, reducing stress in the process. Hmmmm.

More good news on the cancer cure front:
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...all&id=7941292