HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Breast pain and strange lumps? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44919)

Westcoastgirl 05-04-2010 12:09 PM

Re: Breast pain and strange lumps?

I am wondering if you have had your portacath out as I have experienced a real drop in the tightness of that side, since its removal. I have read that the pain in our breast is sometimes nerves trying to regenerate so sometimes the pain is a good thing. I agree with many of those above though, think a biopsy will put your mind at ease. I admire your positive outlook and your aggressive action plan re your diet etc. I have just finished my last Herceptin and have to say I am not up to doing all that much yet, still feel pretty fragile and wear out after what I once considered minimal exercise. I have been told it takes almost a year to get back to "normal". Keep us posted and take care.

Karen Wheel 05-21-2010 11:11 AM

All - I just wanted to send a quick update ---
Bone scan was clean last week! YES!
This next week I have my MRI and ultrasounds for abdomen and lung x-rays... so half way thru my 2nd round of tests.

:-) Karen

Karen Wheel 06-03-2010 02:47 PM

An update for you all ---

Didn't get my MRI --- ugh! Long story - but they are now going to order a PET scan as I don't want to go thru the "prevention" the day before and morning of the MRI with taking cortizone. They said I didn't have to take it anymore for my treatments with Herceptin (6 months ago!) as we determined it appeared I was allergic to the steroid and not the Herceptin. So, of course putting two and two together --- Herceptin with steroids creates a reaction. Herceptin without steroids --- no reaction. Hummm.... to me that means = allergic to steroids!? Well, they said that I should have known that I had to take the steroid for the MRI ---ugh! So, no test. I'm actually more afraid to have the MRI with the steroids as I might have a worse reaction than I did last time (had a MRI in Nov. and did feel crappy for a week or two after!) so.... no MRI. Still waiting on a date for the new PET scan.

However, bone scan, ultrasound to the abdomen were clear. So, I think things are ok.
Oh, had a follow up for the radiation and they said the pain could be still coming from the effects of radiation - so you all were right on with the advise (as usual!).

Thanks again - I'll let you know how the PET goes when I get it scheduled.

:-) Karen

whatz 06-03-2010 03:25 PM

Thanks for letting us know Karen!

vlcarr 06-04-2010 11:58 PM

So glad to hear things have turned out well so far!

Sherryg683 06-05-2010 12:41 AM

I understand completely about the breast pain and strange lumps. At 4-1/2 years out I still have them, sometimes worse than others. Mine are due to scar tissue, some has attached itself to the pectoral muscles and I still have nerve pain from the lymph nodes that were removed and I just had a lumpectomy. I was very active before my diagnosis and am back to being just as active as I was..but it took time. For me, almost 2 years. I did also have residual nerve pain from a case of shingles that lasted 9 months. I am now back to playing tennis at least 4 times a week, when there was a time I couldn't lift my arm from scar tissue pain and nerve pain. I wouldn't gage your recovery by anyone elses, everyone is individual. I do find that having deep massages on the scar tissue helps to ease the pain and helps break it up. sherryg

Karen Wheel 06-08-2010 07:39 AM

Thank you for more feedback - and yah, it sucks being sore. I have felt better the last two weeks now that the Herceptin side effects seem to be wearing off a bit - and have less headaches. Also I started swimming a week ago in the sea --- so swimming 20-30 minutes a day and it feels great! I cheat a bit and use my fins and snorkel so I can keep up with my man but it feels great to do freestyle and really stretch that right side out --- I can really feel is stretch but I'm not really that sore - so I think it is working!

Exciting stuff! I was hoping to try to start running again, but still hurts so might try a double "jogging" bra and strap the girls in and see if that works??? :-) I know that the movement will help - if only my mind! :-)

Thanks again! Karen

Rich66 06-08-2010 09:30 AM

You said:
" It is low on the ribs and it actually feels like the first lump I found (I found it not the doctors or the mammogram). "

"had an MRI back in November and they only were concerned with a big line on the liver, but they thought after seeing my recent ultrasound of the liver it was an error in the film"

Onc says:
"doesn't look anything like the last tumor"

Realizing this is extremely likely to be nothing. The above makes me think going Cathya's route with a biopsy might be good for peace of mind.