HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   ~If First You Do Not Succeed, Try, Try Again Mighty Oak~Chemo Begins 5/14/09 (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39354)

WomanofSteel 05-15-2009 05:12 AM

Marie, I am glad to hear that Ed finally got a treatment. I hope that he experiences little or no side effects from this. I am sorry that you have been given such a full plate lately. I have been there many times. Remember to take a deep breath and relax and try to get some time for you from time to time. Don't let yourself get run down it is easy to do. Hang in there, we are all praying for you and Ed and Dad.

schoolteacher 05-15-2009 06:09 AM

Believe,

So glad to hear that the Mighty Oak got his treatment. Yeah! Did you get to see your outside buddy?

I will call you this afternoon after 7 p.m. I will be finished working by then. I started to call at 7 a.m. but decided to wait.

Sending blessings and prayers to you and the Mighty Oak.

Amelia

Kavy 05-16-2009 02:34 AM

Marie,
I am so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law and your dad. You are going through too much. When enough is enough?
I am glad that Ed had his treatment, and I pray that the side effects will be mild for him.
I am on Ixempra/Herceptin since October 2008, and the 3 tumors in my lungs are shrinking. My doctor is very excited, he says that all his patients on this new drug have a good response, I hope this will also be true for Ed.
Ixempra is not an easy drug, as you already know, but it is doable and it works.
My side effects are hair loss, I lost my hair for the 3rd time, but it is coming back fast. No nausea or vomiting, sometimes change in the taste for the first few days, then it goes back to normal, but I do not lose my apetite. Sometimes I have mild constipation ( I use prune juice) or mild diahrrea in the first few days. I have neuropathy (numbness in hands and feet), and on the first night of treament I few a little tired, on the second day I few normal, on the 3rd day I feel very tired, and stays like that for a few days, then I go back to normal. Tell Ed to drink lots of water, and rest, rest, rest.
On this past treatment something interesting happened, I did not get very tired at all. The nurses and I are trying to figure out if the order of treatment has anything to do, I mean, for the past 6 months I have been taking Herceptin first, then Ixempra, but last time, I got Ixempra first, then Herceptin in 40 min drip. So today I had treatment, and we did exactly the same thing Ixempra then Herceptin, and so far so good, I hope it will stay like that. What drug did Ed get first?
If you have any questions, please PM me that I will be happy to help.
You and Ed hang in there. I will pray for all of you, and for this combo to be Ed's magic bullet.
Hugs,
KarlaV.

Mary Anne in TX 05-16-2009 04:16 AM

Such good news Karla on your Ix. treatment! Marie, I'm so prayin' that it does the same for Ed.
Marie, don't you dare thing that you're not going to be strong enough for whatever comes at ya.
You are always strong enough, brave enough, and awfully wonderful too, to handle what comes. You have an army of "family" who love and support you and will be there for you.
Take some time to "fill your cup", Marie. time to take care of the one who has taken such good care!
Much love to ya, ma

Lien 05-16-2009 05:40 AM

Dear Marie,

I'm echoing your words: enough is enough! You need time to heal.

Hugs & good vibes & healing energy coming your way.

Love

Jacqueline

Joan M 05-16-2009 03:58 PM

Marie,

I'm glad that Ed finally had his treatment and I hope he'll be feeling okay.

I know what you mean about needing strength.

Prayers for Ed to get well.

Hugs,

Joan

Jean 05-16-2009 05:27 PM

Thinking of you & Ed. Sending you strong warm hugs.

Jean

Believe51 05-18-2009 11:26 PM

Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers, it has given us the courage to make this happen.

Kavy, thank you so much for the post I can not tell you what it did for us both. Ed is currently taking the Ixempra alone but I am contemplating adding Herceptin to the mix. With his particular genetics I am not sure it will do any good. Seems like Herceptin did not protect him as well as we wished but I would like the 'idea' that it may do something. I will surely pm you soon, appreciate the offer.

I will make a special update post for others to be able to follow the Ixempra journey. I will put details in it for everyone too. I have heard and seen many wonderful things that this drug is doing. Sharing is caring and I am sure our posts will certainly help others as they search for their magic bullets.

I so appreciate you all>>Believe51

Shobha 05-19-2009 08:26 AM

Marie,

You really are such a tower of strength and positive attitude. Please know that Mighty Oak and you are in my thoughts and prayers everyday. May God put Ed on the path of recovery with this regimen.

hugs,
shobha

juanita 05-19-2009 03:32 PM

keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayers! you're such an inspiration!