HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Goops, Liver Biopsy (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34771)

chrisy 07-20-2008 06:15 PM

Your life is not over

Goops,

Sorry I have not seen this post, I've been at my 12 YO niece's birthday party in Chicago all weekend...

First let me say , well $&*T!

Second, let me say that although this is obviously not the news any of us wanted for you, your life is not over!

I remember like it was yesterday when I was diagnosed with extensive liver mets (after an original diagnosis of DCIS only). It was the most devastating day of my life. That was nearly 4 years ago. Do not lose heart.

You have treatment options which can still work well for you. I'm sure your oncologist has your best interests at heart and wants you to do well. He/she obviously knows the specifics of your situation better than we do. However I'm also concerned as others have noted, because you DO have symptoms - indications that the cancer may be interfering with your liver's healthy functioning. So it's a bit scary as you need to get control of it, and the questions bear asking.

I also wonder if you have gotten second opinion (or third as some have suggested). You do want to be sure you've considered all your options.

That said, Fulvestrant is not an unproven therapy - it's an approved treatment for ER+ metastatic cancer. And blocking the ER pathway PLUS Her1 and Her2 is a good concept - so this trial is actually quite interesting.

Although most people's initial reaction to a diagnosis of liver mets is to blast the living daylights out of it, it may indeed be reasonable to try a less aggressive approach - if your disease is minimal and easily monitored.

To me, this is key because you definitely want to gain control of the disease in the liver. Although you describe 1 "large" and several "smaller" mets, you don't know how fast it is growing. So especially if you are in a placebo comparison trial, you must be vigilant so you can move on quickly if need be.

It is important that you do get multiple opinions - and that you trust your team. You will make the right decision for you.

Just know that we are all here to help you in any way we can, we care about you and are praying for you.

Love
Chris

goops 07-20-2008 06:33 PM

Thanks Chrisy - I considered getting a 2nd opinion but I do not care to deal with either of the other 2 oncologists where I receive treatment. It would take me weeks to see an Oncologist at the only other hospital in town and they are a hospital in which I have no faith in.

All of their internal Medicine doctors quit over policies that dictated that they spend only a few minutes with each patient. That hospital has proven over and over that they don't really care about their patients. I do have faith in my current oncologist.

My doctor believes that my symptoms were the flu. Since I no longer have a high fever, he is probably right.

harrie 07-20-2008 11:07 PM

Goops,
I am sorry to hear of your liver biopsy results. I am in complete support with those that are recommending a second opinion.
Sending you lots of aloha,
Maryanne

chrisy 07-21-2008 02:00 PM

Fulvestrant = Faslodex

Hi,

Thought this might be helpful - in the thread about Faslodex (Fulvestrant)

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34824

Sheila 07-21-2008 06:50 PM

Goops
Listen to Chrisy...she is like the expert resident in liver treatments....to see her you would never know that she has this battle...she is so healthy looking and full of energy....do get another opinion or 2 if you can....at least you will feel comfortable with your course of action....you are in my thoughts and prayers......

goops 07-22-2008 09:53 AM

Thank you for posting that thread Chrisy, it is kind of funny because the woman who started it "Janet Taylor" has the same name as me.

It is nice to see that people have tolerated the drug well.