HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   As I thought (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32050)

chrisy 01-08-2008 10:17 PM

Gee, Karen. You sure are having a tough time finding a combo that will work well and for a long time. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this again. You have such a strong spirit - I know you are saddling up again for the Gemzar and I hope this will do the trick.

Much love and prayers
Chris

tousled1 01-09-2008 07:32 PM

Karen,

Even though you failed on Taxatore that doesn't necessarily mean that the other taxanes won't work. The Taxol/Carboplatin seems to working for me right now. You're in my prayers.

Lolly 01-09-2008 10:39 PM

Karen, I agree with Kate that Taxol/Carbo are a good combo. I'm on a triple right now that is Taxol,Carbo/Avastin week 1, Taxol week 2, Taxol/Avastin week 3, rest week 4. I've finished one cycle and just started the second cycle today. But even after just the first cycle we've seen improvement in my affected lymph nodes and chest wall skin lesions which have been very stubborn since last spring.
I was on Gemzar/Herceptin for almost 2 months last spring, but it was pretty hard on my counts. I was supposed to have it weekly but only got it every other week due to low counts. It kept the lesions and nodes stable but I wanted to see shrinkage and so did my onc, so we switched gears. I think if I had tolerated it better and been able to stay on schedule, it may have been more effective for me. Discuss strategy with your onc about keeping keeping counts up, and it could well be different for you. Other than low counts, it was very tolerable, no naseau, some tiredness, some thinning hair, but not bad. Best wishes, sending good thoughts to you :)

<3Lolly

hermiracles 01-09-2008 11:27 PM

Hi Karen ~ sorry you are having to deal with progression ~ hope the new drugs are a big help to you.
Blessings
Hermiracles

Chelee 01-10-2008 12:53 AM

Karen, First of all I am so sorry you have to deal with all this. The only thing I can add is I know two people personally that did well on Gemzar. One person was my Mother...although she was battling advanced lung cancer. That being said she was 77 years old with lots of other health issues and I have to say she did REALLY well on a combo of Gemzar & carbo. Her side affects were very managable and she told me she felt pretty good all things considered. She had a good response from Gemzar & Carboplatin which I was happy about due to her age & other medical issues. So here's to gemzar doing what the other chemo's couldn't. I really believe you will have little problems from Gemzar. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Chelee