HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Can Herceptin cause high blood pressure? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21644)

rinaina 11-06-2006 07:17 AM

Genentech, Inc.
1 DNA Way
South San Francisco, CA 94080-4990
Phone: 1-650-225-1000
Fax: 1-650-225-6000

astrid 11-06-2006 01:56 PM

I was able to find contact information for Genentech on the web and I emailed them and they called me already and opened a file. They did say that Herceptin is not FDA approved for early stage breast cancer and they do not have any incidents of prolonged hypertension. They thanked me for contacting them and asked that I call them and let them know my blood pressure before and after tomorrows treatment. I’ll let you all know.

rinaina 11-06-2006 02:03 PM

Thank you for contacting them. Perhaps I should call as well because the more calls they get on this then maybe they will realize that there are those getting elevated pressures from herceptin. Would you mind posting the contact you have?

astrid 11-07-2006 05:11 AM

Genentech Contact information

I went to:

www.gene.com/gene/medcom/index.jsp

astrid 11-08-2006 01:59 PM

Well, I had my second MUGA yesterday and my left ventricle ejection is 65%. That is actually an improvement over my last MUGA in December of 2005. My blood pressure was also lower than my last Herceptin treatment. I was worried because it was 150 over 75 3 weeks ago but yesterday it was 132 over 72.

Bev 11-08-2006 09:09 PM

In the Wa Post today they reported people with a higher top number were less likely to have CHF. For what it's worth. BB

Soccermom 03-01-2007 12:04 PM

I am joining the " hypertension club". My last few BPs (using calf cuff reading) have been anywhere from 150 to 180 ! During TX w Hercep I occaisionally had high readings, butsince I have have had consistently high readings the last 4 months or so, I am now on Zestril.
Havent taken my first one ...YET... but am so sorry to have to add yet another medication to my routine.

Marcia

PS Hypertension has affected all the men on my fathers side of the family...most died from CAD.My weight is 150 and I am 5' 5 1/2...cholesterol levels arent so hot either. DARN! I may just have to go out and buy one of those BIG plastic med- minders!! LOL

Sheila 03-01-2007 12:37 PM

Also an update for me....my B/P is almost consistent now in the 150-155 over 78 range....it was always in the 110/60 range....I am only on the Herceptin now, off Xeloda for the time....it seemed like it was back and forth and now is staying high...my echo 2 months ago said the LVEF was 60%

I am keeping tabs on it as my Mother has high B/P/

dede10 03-01-2007 01:02 PM

This is interesting! My BP has gone up dramatically while on Heceptin. My MUGGA is great! I have also been having headaches, though, and am getting another MRI tomorrow, before seeing about BP meds. I have been on Herceptin since Aug 2003.

cafe1084 03-04-2007 08:37 PM

Just had my 5th taxol/herceptin Friday and no problems ...til today. BP has been high since my first AC tx back in November, running about 140/90 compared to my norm 130/80. I got up this morning with the most horrible headache and neck pain(lingering headache for 2 days or so). Didn't realize til late afternoon that my neck veins felt as if they could pop, then the nausea and blurred vision hit. Long story short, my mom checked my BP and it was 170/110! Not only did I have a headache to kill a cow, I was in sheer panic over those numbers. I've had no real side effects with these tx's, BUT my taxol and herceptin were ran concurrently instead of separately as they had in the first 4 previous tx's. This time, heartburn like my tummy was on fire, some nausea, and this headache! I wouldn't think this would matter so much, may not be wise for the sake of determining the culprit if I were to have a reaction, but shouldn't cause such a great change in how I feel after tx, unless this is just from meds building up in my system. Anyone had this or know why or if the meds ran together would cause an immediate change? For now, have a good supply of diuretics and some Mrs. Dash no salt substitute !

Steph C

Vanessa 03-05-2007 10:17 AM

My blood pressure and heart rate are both up a bit. I am having an echo in the next two weeks, just waiting for the nurse to call me with an appointment time.

mrsd 03-05-2007 05:14 PM

This is my first post but I wanted to thank you all for this thread, I thought I had lost my mind, not that I remember if I had one LOL. I always had low blood pressure and had to be careful when bending down that I didn't pass out when I stood up, but during my last treatment of Herceptin my BP was 121/91 and heart rate was 122........ I am seeing my GP tomorrow and having the BP checked. I have also gained weight, probably 20 lbs in the last six months. Thank you, thank you....... I am thankful that I found this site and all you great ladies.

Thanks Patricia

Soccermom 04-01-2007 09:33 AM

Derar Friends,
Just had my one month check up to see if my pressure meds did the trick. I was shocked by the Nurse saying "Whoa"! still high 165/85. New RX :Micardis HCT, appointment in 4 weeks and we will see if it worked.
Funny, I always ass u med (LOL) if your pressure is high that one would have energy.Boy was I wrong..all I do is sleep and work! ARGH

Soccermom 04-03-2007 09:12 AM

Hi there friends, Micardis caused severe depression and insomnia...back to the drawing boards. No meds thios week and will see how I do without them.
Marcia

Grace 04-03-2007 10:30 AM

I've had high blood pressure for years, long before herceptin and chemo. It seems to be holding steady, not going up or coming down. Over the years my medication has been changed many times until we found something that works. The one that works very well for me is Lotensin/HCT. The HCT is a diurectic. Everyone responds differently to BP meds, but you'll find one that works for you, I'm sure.

Soccermom 04-03-2007 01:30 PM

THX Grace for the reassurance. I needed it!
Warmly,Marcia

Ora 04-03-2007 01:49 PM

Erratic BP

I had high bp before all this and was on Micardis/hct & Norvasc. My Onc said my echo is low 44% and my blood pressure is also erratic, sometimes high, sometimes low. He took me off Herceptin for awhile and sent me to a cardiologist who put me on Coreg & HCT. Now I have to weigh twice a day and take my bp twice a day for fluctuations. I've only done it a few days so don't see anything really surprising. I hope I can get back on herceptin soon.

janet11 04-04-2007 06:34 AM

This is an interesting discussion. I've taken BP pills (Benicar HCT) for high blood pressure for several years. But, in cycle 5 of my chemo (TCH), I experienced some problems with very low bp. They did a rush MUGA, but it was fine (60%). I'm now off the BP pills and take my BP twice a day. If first number goes above 150, I take a pill (still the Benicar HCT). I've taken only 3 pills since Dec 11 (about 1/month).

I blamed the chemo, but my last one was over 3 months ago. And I STILL have normal BP. Maybe it IS the Herceptin. I never connected that before.

I'm not complaining. It's NICE to be off pills (*smile*).

Janet