HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Completely off topic but can someone tell me (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30950)

nitewind 11-05-2007 06:35 AM

Thanks again for all the replies. Brenda, a special thanks to you, I already bought the box of hair frosting but hadn't tried it yet, glad I checked in here first. I guess I'll just wait it out for a while. My financial situation is the greatest, so I'll try to start saving up and have it done right. I do appreciate all the help and it all seems so trivial right now after reading Maryanns latest post. I swear, that lady has been an inspiration to me since the beginning of my journey.
Maybe I'll give the cocoa butter a try as suggested, something I know that I can afford (lol).
Again thanks for caring enough to reply.
Big hugs

Senorina 11-05-2007 10:38 AM

Hair

I understand. When I started chemo last year, I had very long hair....almost waist-length. I have had long hair my entire life. One year later and I'm still not use to my short curly hair. The color came back about the same, and I am grateful that my hair is baby soft now. I probably could handle the curls much better if my hair was longer.

When I got sick, I switched to mostly organic, which included organic shampoo and will do that forever. I understand how frustrating it is, because hair growth is just not fast enough for us. Be patient. Your hair will eventually grow and look beautiful, just as it did before.

Lolly 11-05-2007 11:01 AM

Yes, Yes, Yes! Go for the makeover, it will do wonders for you. There's a program in my community called "Look Good, Feel Better". It's offered to the cancer community free of charge, you get a free make-up makeover and tips on hair, etc, and go home with a goody bag full of beauty care products. Check with your clinic, there may be a similar program available in your area.

<3 Lolly

hutchibk 11-05-2007 11:27 AM

Susan - please do check with "Look Good, Feel Better" in your area as has been suggested by Lolly and others. Often hairstylists volunteer with the American Cancer Society and the LGFB program, and you may find one through them for free or very cheap.

Sheila 11-05-2007 11:37 AM

Nitewind...
I wish I had enough hair to color!!! But as it is returning, instead of a dark black which it was naturally, I now have the mousey gray/black/brown/who knows what else....it is no longer straight..but has an attitude....it was easier with no hair...I'm not even to the art gallery owner stage yet, Becky!!!! I look in the mirror and see my Dad...whom I love dearly, just never imagined I would see him when I looked at myself...my Mom, of course, but my Dad???He is a handsome guy, but sorry, he's a man!
I could fill my car with face creams and lotions I have bought...not to mention makeup....I finally decided to go to the mall and get Bare Escentuals....I really like it....just wish they made hair color....thats it, I am in search of a new color wig...if I have to look like this, I might as well have fun.....will I become a sassy redhead, or find out once and for all if blondes do have more fun???

hutchibk 11-05-2007 12:23 PM

Sheila - I love the mineral makeup too! After a lifetime and thousands of $$ looking for a makeup to love, I have FINALLY found one.

Mary Jo 11-05-2007 01:48 PM

Hi Susan,

Don't apologize for going "off topic" NOTHING is off topic as our cancer experience goes. It affects every aspect of our lives. So, thank you for bringing this topic up as I know EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US HAVE FELT WHAT YOU FEEL. After reading your post I said to my husband "oh it's so nice to hear someone verbalize what I felt so many times." I, too, felt that I looked so old for quite some time. I'm feeling better about myself now. I think I look better 2+ years out but maybe I'm just use to looking at my new self. Whatever, the reason, I agree with everyone else that you have to do for you WHATEVER it is that will make you feel good.

Anyway, not much else to offer from what everyone else said..............................but I did want to thank you for sharing your innermost feelings with us. We've all been their, felt it and it's nice to "talk" about it and hear what other's have done. Hey, maybe I'll become a hot mama after reading all these suggestions. LOL!

Hugs to you Susan - you are a TRUE beauty,

Mary Jo

PinkGirl 11-05-2007 04:22 PM

bald

Sheila,
I had trouble wearing make-up when I was bald. I didn't know
where to stop blending :)

hutchibk 11-05-2007 04:56 PM

Cute, Pink... LOL.

DonnaD 11-05-2007 05:06 PM

Susan

Isn't it wonderful to know others have been down the same road! I was a dark blonde and my hair came in a mousy brown with lots of gray. First thing I did when it was long enough was to get it highlighted. It really did help. But the highlighting went with the first trim. I just got it down again. It is growing very slowly on Herceptin and I have fine eyebrows and eyelashes.

Can't wait to see Sheila as a red head !
Donna

hutchibk 11-05-2007 05:11 PM

I like to call our new default color "rat fur brown" ...

Sheila 11-05-2007 07:33 PM

Brenda
Mousy Brown would do it, since we all have a little rodent in us...(Hope Tip isn't offended)

Donna
I am awaiting a call tomorrow...I have hit the lottery, I am getting a port! Gee, and I remember when I got excited over a great new pair of shoes...! Wow, red hair and a port...what is next!

hutchibk 11-05-2007 07:42 PM

Red hair and a port - sounds like you are ready to meet a sailor! LOL

Sheila 11-05-2007 07:47 PM

Does the Riverwalk In San ANtonio count?

hutchibk 11-05-2007 08:27 PM

It could! We'll have to set you up with a River Taxi captain. That might qualify as a sailor, no?

Margerie 11-05-2007 08:52 PM

LOL at you all. And especially art-gallery Becky. I got diagnosed right after we moved into our new home. At the end of chemo, a neighbor had a block party. I was wearing my scarf- figuring everyone knew the deal by then. Another neighbor came up to me and apologized for not coming over to visit yet because she had a traumatic few months, a "breast cancer" scare that turned out to be nothing. I told her I was living breast cancer at the moment and she gasped and said she thought I was just "artsy" with my short (no!) hair and scarf! That got a good laugh from me.

My new hair was tennis ball fuzz that turned into salt and pepper and looked so thin with all the grey. I bought a no ammonia strawberry blond hair color- and it colored really nice- my avatar pic actually. It looked so much better to have a brighter color for awhile. My natural color did come back- but I am working the gorilla frizzies now. Help Brenda!! (head bands are my friend)

Nitewind,

You can help your skin from the inside- make sure you are drinking lots of water and if R.B. peeks at this thread- the recommendation would be to get your omega-3's- good for you and your skin!!

Bev 11-05-2007 09:38 PM

Cut away the first 2 inches of fly away gray that came in. Afterwords had 3 colors put on professionally, it was pretty and artsy and expensive but I needed it. I've been touching up on my own but it may be time to revisit the shop again. My color is close to normal now. I have crazy curls after 2 years and get lots of compliments. My curls are starting to relax at my roots. I'm going to miss them when they're gone. I just takes time. BB

weezie1053 11-05-2007 09:47 PM

I had to laugh at Butch's comments about the hair color. My stylist, who had been coloring my hair for years, could not believe how the chemicals affected my hair color the first time we colored even though she went for the same affect as "pre-chemo." I came out a red head my first go around. It took me about three visits before we got it back to a natural look. I also saw my Mary Kay lady at the onset of my chemo, and I got a new makeup which did help me feel so much better during the loss of hair and the weight gain. I have five not-so-shy brothers and sisters who told me I looked like our mother at our first holiday gathering. Needless to say, my Mom was a wonderful person, but she also was a happy "butterball." I hate the steroids, but I am healthy this year!

Louise

Sheila 11-06-2007 06:12 AM

Louise
After 5 months of Steroids right now...I look like the butterball turkey! Even my drumsticks are plumping!!! Just not the breast!

kimber 11-06-2007 10:13 AM

OH MY GOD!!! Brenda - I almost peed my pants! "Rat fur brown". Thanks, I needed that laugh today!!!

Oh and yes, I look 10 years older than my now 45 years. The chemo really aged my skin. No question.

Love to you all! - kim