HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Advice on work situation (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47149)

Cal-Gal 11-09-2010 03:30 PM

Re: Advice on work situation

Hi Ginny-

I had a lot of nasty things done to me during the time I was harrased for having cancer-I was in the middle of chemo--and it was just awful--I had to be strong and document everything--
in the end though I had to 'let it all go' and concentrate on getting myself better--and learning to be happy that the 'negative' people were out of my life--

Hugs,

KDR 11-09-2010 03:45 PM

Ask your boss to put all requests in writing from now on. She'll know what's up. I'll bet the attitude changes quickly...I guess I worked for lawyers too long...20 years. Good luck.

Carol.hope 11-20-2010 06:34 PM

Ginny,
Under ADA, employers with 15 or more employees must make reasonable accommodations. The Job Accommodation Network (JAN) is part of the federal Dept. of Labor. They have a set of fact sheets; and one for people with cognitive impairment, includes accommodations to need help the employee with concentration, maintaining stamina, etc. (and many others). You can call JAN at (800) 526-7234. They will work with you over the telephone. Or check www.dol.gov/odep/pubs/fact/jan.htm
I don't know if your employer can get out of legal action because you haven't been there a year, but I think JAN would know that, and also might negotiate a plan with your employer.
Good luck. - Carol

SoCalGal 11-21-2010 12:24 AM

Hi Ginny,
I live in So Cal, too. I will be happy to have a little face time with your boss. I'm in a very cranky mood and am truly sick of a**holes. Stay strong!

ginnyg898 01-11-2011 12:26 PM

Hi All:

Wanted to give everyone who was so helpful in this situation an update.

Unfortunately, evil boss pretty much got her way and I am starting on disability on Monday. I am so stressed out and have lost so much weight that my Oncologist is concerned about my recovery from surgery next month. The head of the company said he would make sure my benefits are continued for 12 weeks, but at this point I dont beleive much of what anybody says. They have allowed evil boss to treat me in such a callous and insensitive manner that I no longer believe that there is good in 'everybody'. I have mixed emotions about staying home (crazy; I know :)), but I am very happy that I will get to be home with my girls for a while.

I have a question to put out there. Has anyone changed insurance coverage mid-treatment? Did you have any issues with continuation of treatment? As I said, I wouldnt put anything past this woman and would not be surprised if she cancelled my policy before my chair is cold. Worst case I will have to go on my husband's policy. I would like to hear from those that have been thru this.

Thanks, Ginny

ginnyg898 01-11-2011 12:28 PM

BTW: Thank you SoCaGal...i am tempted to give you her number. LOL

KDR 01-11-2011 03:13 PM

You should have Cobra for 18 months.
I think there's a six-month waiting period to apply for Medicare and it takes a while to get that. Good thing your husband can pick you up.
What a cold and cruel way to deal with another human being. Hang tight, my sister, she has added a lot of debits to her own final review. How pathetic.
Still, there are many people out there who really get what life is about, so don't give up on all.
Let's hope you get up and out of this situation quickly, and go on to a more positive position in your worklife. Hugs.

Carol.hope 01-12-2011 02:31 PM

Hi Ginny.
I thought I sent you two messages yesterday, but my internet service was sporadic, and it looks like neither one showed up. Internet is back today, so here goes again.

First, it's not crazy to have mixed emotions about all the changes - it's normal! This is a challenging time, as well as a good time to move forward. You have losses, so grief. You have new opportunities, so optimism. Working around people you don't trust probably isn't good for your health. Here's to good health!

Second, it's good that you have your husband's insurance to move to. When your employer's insurance policy ends, they will send you a Letter of Creditable Coverage or Continuous Coverage, which shows that you've had insurance. With this, the new company cannot make you wait for coverage under their policy. As soon as you know your current insurance is ended, ask for that letter. This is federal law. I'm guessing that they said you get 12 more weeks because you're due that under federal law, too - the American Family and Medical Leave Act.

I have been through this, and imagine many of our HER2 sisters have, too. It may not be fun, but there will come a day when you will finally realize it was for the best. You get to make YOUR life, the way you want it.

You are not alone. We are with you. You will make it!

My best to you, Carol

Becky 01-12-2011 03:17 PM

Aww Ginny

It seems no one has a true heart. Many years ago (I think late 2000 and several years before I got cancer), I hired a new sales rep (about 39 or 40 yrs old). During turnover calls with the old rep (whose territory was getting split), the old rep calls and says he had to take the new guy to the ER - ended up he had a bad valve. He needed emergency surgery and was airlifted from Chicago to Cleveland Clinic (who had some new procedure). He had surgery but had a stroke the day after (minor but affected his recovery). My boss and I worked hard in order to continue to pay him because he was only an employee for 2 weeks before this happened but they paid him (as you don't get short term disability until you are on the job a year). We made it work. He and I don't work in the same division anymore but he still calls me on my birthday. We sometimes joke on "how the job is a killer". I cannot believe someone could be so cruel. I do know people who have to take vacation days for doctor appointments and then take a whole day that is coordinated with ob/gyn, then dentist and so on.

Put these animals out of your mind. Hopefully none of them become injured or ill.