HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Possible Liver Mets? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50147)

krisvell 05-26-2011 04:34 PM

Re: Possible Liver Mets?

Ann;
Rats! I was hoping you'd get better news. You were smart to go to work; especially if you love your job.
Wishing you the best treatment option to zap the liver mets and get to NED in no time.
Sending prayers your way,
Kris....

Lori R 05-26-2011 09:40 PM

Ann,
I wish I could provide you with a road map to get you to NED.

I fully understand what you mean about working and how it helps focus on something other than the challenges of cancer. I've been through multiple rounds of chemo and liver met related treatments and I've worked through the majority of it. I encourage you to figure out your next steps and plan on returning to work in the fall.

Hmmm...next steps. The good news is that there are so many options to choose from and they are all very doable. I was referred to a Dr. to perform Radio Frequeny Ablation (RFA) for my liver met. He opted to use cryosurgery. I did have "insurance" chemo after the cryosurgery.

I am not 100% certain if I would recommend cryosurgery , as the liver met returned. Another option is targeted radiation. I investigated this option prior to electing to have a liver resection. It too appeared very promising with very little down time.

I want to reassure you that all of these options are doable. I worked during each round of treatment, attended all of my daughter's school events.

Please keep us posted. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Keep the faith....Lori

Shobha 05-27-2011 08:26 AM

Wishing you the very best and speedy return to NED status!

Missyw 05-27-2011 08:59 AM

I just had to write to let you know my experience with liver mets. You have to know they are absolutely treatable; hair included! My first met disappeared with my original A/C, taxol, Herceptin rounds. I went NED for three years. The pesky bugger came back and I went on Navelbine and searched out every cutting edge (no pun intended) treatment the interventional radiologist could find. One by one the newest treatments (ablation, cryo, cyberknife etc.) fell away due to the location of the mass. I found a liver transplant guy who would resect me. I had the resection two years ago. I went back on Navelbine for a very few weeks after the surgery. Once I was officially NED again, I went back to herceptin only. My hair thinned a bit, but no one else really noticed. I have been NED, on herceptin only for these last two years. I have continued to work full time in all these years. I took three weeks off for my resection. I have continued to be a full time wife and mom as well. I don't have to tell you the terror of this diagnosis; however, I found stories of hope on this site and I have gained immeasurable strength from my her 2 sisters. Now you will be a source of inspiration for others. You will write your story in five years and tell another terrified sister that she will come through this and lead a rich wonderful life. I saw my son graduate from high school and finish his first year of college; I saw my daughter become a high school Pom and go to her first dance. I have been here for amazing things and you will be to!

Find a great doctor and attack this thing with all of your strength. There are so many amazing treatments. I know you will find the one you need.

Jeanette 05-27-2011 09:17 AM

I too was diagnosed with liver mets, plus bone. i had a liver biopsy and it did not hurt at all. Was sent to Moffett hospital in Tampa to see if they agreed to my onc's treatment plan.

I have started Xeloda today and have also had Faslodex shots, a real pain in the butt. But it only stings for a little bit. I am also on Zometa for my bones. Taking it one day at a time and hoping for the best.

Forgot to mention , I had had lost a lot of weight, about 50 lbs. And here I was thiinking it was nice to finally buy some cute clothes. I am slowly gaining some weight back, but I don't want to gain all that i had lost.
Best wishes , Jeanette

Sheila 05-28-2011 05:53 AM

Ann
So sorry to read your post about the liver mets....at times i feel like "do we ever get a break"......there are so many resident experts on this board to help you deal with this setback...they have all been there and more importantly are still here.....stay strong, and know that we are all here for you.....keeping you in my prayers....this too will be behind yoefore you know it!

CoolBreeze 05-28-2011 06:18 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful support and advice.

I had to laugh when somebody said I got summers for my treatment - can you believe they make us high school secretaries work through the summer? There is nothing much to do but not only do they make us work, they make us work 4/10s!! At least if they put me on something that causes diarrhea, I won't have to fight a hallway full of kids to get to the bathroom. :) And, if I'm tired and need to sleep later, nobody will be the wiser. ;)

I had my pre-biopsy bloodwork done and now am waiting the call to set up the biopsy. Ideally, it would wait until after June 10th, which is graduation. But, we all know how much fun waiting is and I really want to get it done. I just imagine those suckers growing fast and I want them treated! And, like we all do, I want my treatment plan in place. Glad to hear the biopsy doesn't hurt.

I'm preternaturally calm. Not terrified, not worried for me at all.

I'm upset for my family though, especially my 14 year old son. If it turns out to be worse than I think, then how sad for him to lose his mother so early. I'll never forget one day when I was in the video game store buying a birthday present , a boy a little younger than my son was in there alone and started talking me. He immediately told me that his mother had just died of a heart attack; he asked me what I was buying and I said a present for my son. I was done with treatment then and had very short hair and I felt so sad for that boy - telling every stranger he saw his sad news - killing time at the video game store to take his mind off it - I and was so happy that my son wouldn't have to go through that pain.

I'm just so glad to know that there are treatments that can keep me around a while longer. I want very much to see my son graduate and off to college. He's an amazing student with a 4.7 GPA and he skipped a grade and will barely be 17 when he graduates. I want to see what college he goes to, take him there and settle him in. I have a 24 year old too, who still needs me -he calls me with his problems still. But, he's got his own life and he's raised.

But, oddly enough, even with those thoughts, this is a lot easier on me than my original diagnosis, even though it was stage II no nodes with a high survival probability. I guess I'm a cancer veteran now. :)

I still don't want to be bald. Like the Carcinista, I'm going out with my hair.

KDR 06-13-2011 07:55 AM

Cool Breeze, how did your biopsy go? I haven't seen any word yet. Hope you are doing well. Thinking of you,
Karen

CoolBreeze 06-13-2011 04:48 PM

Hi Karen.

The biopsy was Thursday and it was very very painful. I was surprised, as was the medical team. They gave me Versed and Fentanyl but they might as well have given me water. I now know what it feels like to be stabbed.

I wrote up a (long) description in my blog for those interested.

This is the first painful medical test I've had in two years of treatment so I guess I can't complain too much.

I get the results on Wednesday - my appointment is at 9:45. There is little doubt what it will be. I am glad to hear the stories of people who have done well. I will ask about RFA if there are still only two mets. My onc said he wanted to do a PET too, but I don't want to wait for that test to begin treatment. I hope he sets something up Wednesday - even herceptin.

I've been having lower left side back pain since November (while still on herceptin) and it has increased to the point where it is beginning to interfere with my life. It is also all across my lower back, so I fear that is also part of the disease process. Needless to say, I want to get on some kind of treatment ASAP.

I'll let you all know. Thank you for your support.

Elizabethtx 06-13-2011 09:30 PM

Sorry to hear it was so painful! At least it is over and you can recover. Here's to hoping the news is better than expected! Hugs!

KDR 06-14-2011 09:24 AM

Cool Breeze,
I am SO sorry to hear that. I'm going over to your blog now.
Feel good, my sister,
Karen

Jackie07 06-14-2011 12:25 PM

Just left a message on you blog.

What an excellent piece you'd written recounting the 'painful' experience! It should be a required reading for all medical staff so the pain control issues can be addressed and procedures improved.

We'll be thinking of you.

CoolBreeze 06-14-2011 06:54 PM

Thanks. Tomorrow is the day. I may even be over-prepared for bad news. I'll be shocked if it's not!

Ellie F 06-15-2011 04:25 AM

Just praying you get good news today.

Hugs from across the pond.

Ellie

CoolBreeze 06-18-2011 01:48 PM

I never updated this thread but obviously, I did have liver mets. Had a PET Thursday and Monday I see the onc for a treatment plan. I am just hoping it's only in the liver and nowhere else!

KDR 06-18-2011 01:53 PM

Wonder when this revolutionary test will be available to determine whether Herceptin is working:
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Hematolo...stCancer/27061