HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Lower back pain - when to worry? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52356)

Jackie07 12-15-2011 12:48 PM

Re: Lower back pain - when to worry?

I understand how you felt when the blood flew to the syringe...

Glad it's 'just' a muscle spasm. :)

Here's a link to the test (I had to look it up to learn what it is - might as well share it here with everyone):

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disor...atase-alp-test

Savta 12-28-2011 01:13 AM

Hi,

I haven't posted in quite a while, since I have been living in the uphoria of being NED for the last three and a half years. In fact, in two weeks is my cancerverary--4 years since diagnosis.
But, of late, I too, am experiencing pain in my lower back, right hip and buttocks. My physio-therapist thinks it's nothing to worry about--but that's what we do, right?
The pain is the worst at night, when I am laying in bed. It wakes me when I move in my sleep--but, once I'm up and walking around, I seem to be fine. This does not occur every night, but several nights a week.
My onc told me to watch out for pain that doesn't go away--but I can't help but worry. I don't want to overlook something that might be worth looking into.
What do you think?
I'd be glad for your input.

'lizbeth 12-28-2011 01:24 PM

I had a pain like that, right between my shoulder blades. At night the muscles would tighten around my ribcage and I would wake up in pain and hardly breathing. Then I would get up and walk around and the pain would ease significantly. I was taking 10 Advil a day.

After 2 years of chiropractic treatment I tried accupunture out of desparation. Amazing - in 6 treatments the pain disappeared and I was sleeping through the night. Best money I ever spent.

I'm no doctor, but in my experience a majority of people suffer from low back pain. Is this the area in your body where you store tension? Does work or other activities affect your back and hips? My husband suffers from similar pain - he needs to stretch regularly and workout to keep it pain free.

Have you tried receiving bodywork, such as circulatory (swedish) massage or deep tissue sculpting? Thai massage and Sensory repatternings techniques can also help relieve pain and muscle tension. I use several of these techniques on my husband and he is always amazed at how easy it is for me to help him become pain free.

Before and during cancer treatment I would spend too much time worrying - now if I have a problem I procrastinate less on seeking help to resolve it. But I hear you, every prolonged ache & pain can be stressful until we hear the all okay from our medical team.

Congratulations on your 4 year cancerversary. Wishing you many, many healthy years.

Hughe 06-11-2013 07:55 PM

Hi Marcia,
For lower back pain lose weight if needed by regular workouts and avoid doing exercises that put pressure on your spine. Therapeutic exercises, stretching and massage are also effective to cure lower back pain and during all exercises, practice the drawing in technique. Have good posture and take rest properly.

Mary Jo 06-14-2013 09:16 AM

Key words..."come and go!" Cancer does not come and go. Cancer does not "get better!" Sad, but true.

I, too, suffer from lower back pain....it, too, comes and goes. It's a pain the butt (literally) but it comes and goes, for which I am thankful.

Hope you can get to the bottom of this (no pun intended - haha) and find some relief AND peace.

Blessings,

Mary Jo

BonnieR 06-14-2013 09:24 AM

I have been having the very same issue. Pain that is much worse in bed. Right hip. But enough to have me limping Had hip X-rays and then MRI of spine. That was the culprit! Arthritis and pressure on discs in lower back. Receiving great relief from PT!!!! Pain went after first session of having spine "stretched" by hand
Keep the faith. Hopefully this is your solution too!

mimi1952 06-23-2013 02:18 PM

Can you have bone mets with normal blood work?

jellybean 06-23-2013 08:26 PM

Yes, you definitely can have bone mets with normal labs. When I was first diagnosed, I had mets in almost every bone in my spine, and all my labs were perfectly normal. And I felt fine!