HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Something that seems to work for diarrhea (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40043)

Pushpa 05-23-2010 05:57 AM

Re: Something that seems to work for diarrhea

My Mom is in tykerb(2 tabs morning+2tabs night) for a week now, she has frequent diarrhea. my question is whether diarrhea will subside as her body gets used to the drug or is it a never ending process??
tykerb is preferred than herceptin because its fat soluble drug and crosses the blood brain barrier whereas herceptin doesnt. but my mom thinks otherwise as her quality of life is affected due to tykerb.

hutchibk 05-24-2010 12:13 AM

OK, so when I was getting radiation to my rt rear ilium back in October, the beams were also hitting my intestine a bit... it caused the dreaded pooterookis that I had so effectively been able to manage. So, I asked my rads onc what he suggested and what he told me was a true miracle and lifesaver. However, it is not the holistic cure that we all hope will help us.

Ok, his remedy is this. Buy liquid Immodium instead of pills. Drink 1/2 (which is all I needed) to 1 cupful (the little marked dosing cup that comes on top of the bottle) each morning "to set the tone" and keep ahead of the diarrhea. After about 2 days, I was again in control. It got me regular, with normal daily output and no more "uh oh, where are those restroom signs when you need them" moments....without getting stopped up.

I stayed on that plan for about 3 months and then tapered myself off... he told me that as long as it wasn't stopping me up that I could stay on it for an indefinite time if needed. It may not be for everyone, and it may not work for everyone, but I was sure relieved once I tried it.

Unregistered 06-22-2010 07:32 PM

My mother will be starting Xeloda/Tykerb soon since she hasn't been responding to Abraxane/Herceptin very well.

Thank you for the great information on this website. God bless you all and good luck. You are all truly brave souls.

feonad 03-06-2011 08:45 AM

Aloe Vera can cause diarrhea. Google it. I guess everyone's different though. I know this since I was thinking of taking it.

KristinSchwick 07-11-2011 10:30 AM

So I'm all confused about the dosing of Tykerb and Xeloda, my doc started me on what he called a heafty/aggressive dose- 1250 mg Tykerb and 2000mg Xeloda in the am and 1500 mg of Xeloda in the pm. But I've been suffering with side effects so we're trying to decrease the dose to a less symptomatic dose.
Anyway, I think and correct me if I'm wrong, but the actual mg/person depends on the body mass of the individual. So I may not need as much mg as a person, who weighs say, 200 lbs. Am I right?

Mtngrl 07-10-2012 03:23 PM

I've just started my fifth week on Tykerb.

I do think yogurt helps. I make my own, which means I know it's fresh and lively. I have some every day.

On "bad" days I just eat brown rice, banana, and applesauce, and maybe some cooked carrots. I drink herb tea with ginger or mint (or both). I haven't cut back on fiber.

I seem to be getting used to it. There's been less diarrhea, and less abdominal pain. It's better when I'm home and can have my yogurt. It's a bit tougher when traveling.

Jackie07 07-16-2012 07:44 AM

Bump it up...

NEDenise 08-16-2012 05:56 AM

Bump it up, indeed!
I start Tykerb today...and before I do...I feel a health food store run looming on my horizon!

Thanks for all the great advice! Though I could stand to lose about 25 pounds right now (thank you, Decadron)...I'd like to exercise it off...not "shed" it painfully or worse...explosively!

Thanks again, friends!
Can't imagine this journey without you all!
Denise

Sandra in GA 08-23-2012 07:09 AM

I "googled" diarrhea diet and found a low fiber diet that I basicially followed ~ white bread, no fresh fruit or salads, only green beans and asparagus, etc. It really helped.

The amazing thing is when you finish the Tykerb, within two days you can go back to your healty diet of fiber and frest veggies and fruits!!!

When I began the trial with the Tykerb, I was told that the women who had dropped out had because of the diarrhea. I decided the benefits out weighted the problems and I decided to do whatever it took to continue and finish the Tykerb. I feel this drug is probably why I am NED four years out from stage III with 21 of 21 positive nodes.

Mtngrl 08-23-2012 07:55 AM

@Sandra--good point about the tradeoff. I think that makes sense.

However, I'll be taking it unless and until I have progression, which could be years. (I hope so!) I frankly cannot face an indeterminate future on white bread with no fresh fruits or vegetables.

I am having less diarrhea. My research nurse asked me to log when I get it, and how much Immodium I take for it. It only happens every three or four days, and one dose of Immodium usually takes care of it. That's not too bad.

I seem to do better on days that I get a LOT of fiber, like when I make popcorn. I'm trying to keep my cholesterol down (in case the cancer doesn't get me first), and fiber is an important part of my cholesterol control plan.

Actually, I think yogurt is my secret weapon. I posted about making yogurt under the diet and nutrition thread. Homemade yogurt is cheaper, and it's much fresher, than store bought. It has lots more of the friendly bacteria that help maintain gut health. That's my theory anyway.

Sandra in GA 08-23-2012 09:33 AM

Amy,
I think you are right about the yogurt. It did help. I agree, a life without fresh fruits and veggies would be horrible. I will confess I would indulge occasionally, but I always paid the price. My onc did prescribe Lomotil and advised me to take one of those along with the Immodium (one each at the same time) and the "cocktail" did work better than each alone.

Good luck to you. I suspect eventually your body will adjust and you will have less and less symptoms.
Sandra

Mtngrl 08-24-2012 09:30 AM

I'm having much less abdominal pain, and everything is working more normally, so there may be something to the "getting used to it" idea.

I had a lot of mouth sores & bleeding gums at first, and that's better now too.