HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Devasted. Bad news. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50534)

PatE 06-26-2011 07:54 PM

Re: Devasted. Bad news.

Hi,
I had my liver and L2 spine treated with Cyberknife. Liver treated 3 years ago in August, liver is clear. My spine was treated May of last year, all was fine but my last pet scan (May) was questionable as to whether the area might be lighting up again. The Radiologist who reads the scans for the Onc's office thought it was returning but my Rad Onc (2 of them) thought the scans looked fine probably residual scaring. I have another pet scheduled for July 19th.
I can't say enough good things about Cyberknife, I have had very mild side effects maybe some fatigue.
Please know that bone mets like other areas can be dealt with its just a matter of finding what works for you. Seek out a Cyberknife Rad Onc to help you as most doctors don't know much about the the system and surgeons will rarely recommend it because if they don't cut they don't get paid (sorry but that is my opinion). Many Oncs also have financial interest in radiation therapy offices so they also may not be as quick to refer to Cyberknife. Stanford is excellent, the previous poster is correct that the technology was developed there. I fully expected that one day in the near future Cyberknife will be the gold standard for treating many different cancers including breast (in trials now). Hope I didn't offend anyone but this is truly my thoughts.
Sending you many hugs, you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Emelie B 06-27-2011 08:39 AM

Hi Michka,
If you look at my signature you will see that I had mets to lots of places and here I am NED for 18 mos. I did Taxol, Herceptin and Zometa and continue on every three weeks minus Taxol since 4- 2010.
Please don't panic and forget you have a lot of options still available. Also, Lani is right on with her advice.
We are all thinking of you and sending you healing thoughts.
Emelie

schoolteacher 06-28-2011 10:01 AM

Michka,

Hope to hear from you soon. You are in my prayers.

Amelia

KDR 06-28-2011 01:12 PM

Dear, dear Michka,
I hate the idea of you crying. Please don't. I know there are lots of people out there you have been just fine with sternum mets. Let me see what I can find for you on the Internet, too. Others, please chime in for our Michka on the subject.
Love
Karen

SoCalGal 06-28-2011 04:09 PM

Hi Mishka,
I just posted this reply to your other thread- and Lani (as always) is right and right-on. I do have sternum mets and they have been under control for the past 4 years!! Here's my reply:
I had radiation to my sternum (3) times - once in 1996, general area clean sweep, then again in 2006, along scar line light sweep and in 2009, more advanced and focused on manubrium of sternum. Never with the cyberknife because my mets are sprinkled not focused. Haven't had a pet in quite some time so who knows where I stand right now but I am using Xgeva in hopes of controlling/curing and preventing more bone mets. So far, no new areas. Hope this helps!
xoxoFlori

Elizabethtx 06-30-2011 01:23 PM

Mishka,
I am sorry I can't offer great advice, but I am praying that answer will be found! Stay strong, you CAN do this! Hugs!