HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Rally our prayers...Courtney needs us (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52967)

chrisy 01-25-2012 05:28 PM

Re: Rally our prayers...Courtney needs us

Today's update on Courtney's caringbridge journal
Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:25 AM, PST

Progress

Not much news to report – we are waiting on some test results from Courtney’s cerebral spinal fluid. One working theory is that she has an infection in her spinal fluid which is causing the neurological issues.
Courtney is hanging on strong. She's winning the hearts of everyone in the ICU, and has the best medical team in the world.

I want to relate an anecdote of how Courtney is fighting back. She hasn’t been very verbally responsive – she doesn’t reply to many questions, although she gives you the occasional terse “yeah.”

And so, the nurse asks Courtney: "Courtney, did you swallow your pill?" No reply from Courtney. Not even acknowledgement that a person is in the room.

Again, the nurse asks much louder "COURTNEY, DID you SWALLOW your PILL?"

To whit, my wife yells back "WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME?!?!?” I cried laughing. The nurse just smiled.
Today was a special and moving day with immediate family. I’m just wrapping some special evening hours – I offered to read Courtney all of the emails and CaringBridge posts that have been pouring in. With her cute “yeah” of approval, and using Pandora on the iPhone to play some mellow piano jazz, I proceeded to read Courtney your messages… OK, I only made it through 30% of your messages… we paused a lot so I can confirm that she was enjoying the stories (which received several “yeahs”), but I pledge to continue reading them to her every evening.
Since we haven’t determined the exact cause of the problem, we take each day at a time.

Ceesun 01-25-2012 05:34 PM

Prayers from Florida, too--just figured out how to post on Caringbridge...thanks for keeping us informed. Ceesun

KDR 01-26-2012 05:05 AM

From Jay (there may be some clarity, hopefully today)....
THURSDAY, JANUARY 26, 2012 2:54 AM, PST

Here’s short update to the Courtney-faithful.
We had a first wave of tests come back today showing no detectable cancer in her spinal fluid - so the leading theory is that she has an infection in the fluid that surrounds her brain. This remains very serious – there were no high fives or exclamation mark emails being sent out today, just some relief that we think we know what might be wrong. We began treating it with aggressive antibiotics within hours of Courtney admission to the hospital on Monday. The full medical team agrees that we need to see improvement in the coming days, so please, please keep her in your thoughts. As you go about your day today, please appreciate that today is a precious gift... only recently have I begun to appreciate each minute (literally) when things are going well.
Courtney had more periods of alertness today, including some more sweet time with immediate family, several soft and unbelievably tender ‘I love yous’, and was comfortably hugging several pillows as I left UCSF at 12:45 AM.

As a special note, our friend Will writes the following:

"A few of our friends are working on some projects to support Courtney. We could use some help getting the word out." Here's a site you can visit to see what they recommend: http://sites.google.com/site/4cl2012/

Best
Karen

Ellie F 01-26-2012 05:19 AM

Just read caringbridge update.
Thank the Lord that Courtney HAS NOT got mets in CSF! She remain very poorly with the doctors still thinking she has an infection in the fluid surrounding her brain.
We need to continue our prayers for Courtney and Jay and hope they will soon be answered.

Ellie

Laurel 01-26-2012 05:44 AM

Rally Courtney! Rally! Jay's update on CaringBridge was a mixed bag, happy news that there was no cancer in Courtney's spinal fluid, but still very concerned because of the presumed infection in the fluid around her brain. Just as Jay requested, that we go about our day lifting Courtney up, I spent yesterday remembering so many in our Her2 group as I performed the day's many tasks. It seems we have so many facing crossroads in their treatment. Come on, God, show up in a BIG way for our Her2 gals this week!

Jeana 01-26-2012 05:54 PM

You are in my thought's and prayer's..

Joan M 01-26-2012 09:16 PM

Courtney, Thank goodness no cancer. The antibiotics should take care of the rest and you'll be out of the ICU and home soon. Thinking healing thoughts for your recovery. Joan

KsGal 01-27-2012 02:27 AM

So good that there is no cancer, but so scary that this infection is so bad. Certainly adding my prayers and thoughts and positive energy to all of yours...