HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Is it possible to be cured? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54094)

PinkGirl 04-26-2012 05:12 AM

Re: Is it possible to be cured?

Hi Cathya
I'm in a similar situation ... my onc sent me on my way last year ... I also live in Ontario.

There are people who go through treatment and then never recur. So I guess they are cured. Problem is, right now, no one knows who will recur and who won't.

allielala 04-27-2012 10:42 PM

Hi l am her+. Diagnosed injuly 2009. Diagnosed with liver mets in march 2012. In Feb my oncologist said l was doing well and see you in a year despite me mentioning l had seen my gp regularly complaining of right side muscle pain and had ultrasounds etc. The tests had revealed two spots. But were dismissed and not passed on to my oncologist. I of course questioned this. Is it cancer Doctor? My Gp assured me it would be highly unlikely and to stay intune with my body. In march after further tests it revealed it was 6cm's. Shock. Having adromycin weekly now until mid july. I had 3girls under 3 last time. My youngst was 4months. Now atleast they are more independant. My liver condition is improving and my appetite. My head oncologist remains optermistic but another told me 18mths - 3yrs if lucky. l have organised second opinons etc which should take place very soon. My girls were distressed about my hair falling out but now are doing fine.
Plodding on just wanting to be a ma at 37yrs. xo

Cathya 04-29-2012 06:04 AM

Allielala;

I am so sorry and surprised to hear this. I was seen every 3 months by my oncologist for 6 years and only in the later years every 6 months. He was very aggressive in my treatment and in testing any symptoms I had during this period but luckily for me no mets as far. I am so sad that you are going through this at such a young age with such little children to care for and worry for as well. Do search this site for others with similar pathology (ie. er/pr status, etc.) to see what treatments they are following. It was only after I came to this site and met these strong women that I learned to be my own advocate and I hope you have the same results. My best wishes for your long term health.

Also, thank you Lani for posting your information. I agree wholeheartedly with you that I want the proof.....doubt I'll get it but it sure would be great. I also agree that the word "cure" makes me uncomfortable. I just think NED but would love to think it's forever too.

Cathy

Cal-Gal 04-29-2012 02:46 PM

Cathya-
I dont know about this:
This new report on the 10 breast cancer subsets and genetic testing should provide new and personalized treatments.

Can you provide additional details?

I know about ER/PR HER2, but didn't know there were 10?

Cathya 05-01-2012 10:33 AM

Cal-Gal;

Lani posted about this. Here is the link....

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54070

Cathy

evergreen 05-01-2012 10:47 AM

I am a newcomer to this discussion group. Please tell me, what does "NED" mean?

Mtngrl 05-01-2012 10:54 AM

"No Evidence of Disease."

Sounds like you're doing all you can. Loving your dear ones, loving life--good for you.

Mtngrl 05-01-2012 10:56 AM

Allielala--

Most Stage IV people with HER-2 stay on Herceptin indefinitely (until it stops working or until somebody decides maybe they're cured.) Of course it's toxic with Adriamycin.

If I were you I'd get a second opinion. Go to a bigger cancer treatment center if you can.

CoolBreeze 05-01-2012 05:56 PM

Of course there is a cure to breast cancer. Otherwise, everybody would die from it, and that is far from the truth.

The only problem is because cancer can be so indolent, coming back many years later, we don't know who is cured and who isn't. That's why we have the term NED.

There are clues. ER+ HER- tumors have the five year "magic number" where their relapse rates drop. For HER2+, or Triple Negative, because ours is more aggressive, it's 3 years and then our relapse odds drop.

But cancer is sneaky and you just never know if you are cured until you die of something else, as they say. Because, odds are only that and sometimes it will return. After many years it's incredibly rare - but it CAN happen.

I think how you look at it is part of your personality. Some people are very cautious and are not going to declare themselves cured, even 20 years past cancer. Some people might hit that magic number, give themselves a party and call it a day and themselves cured. Neither attitude or way of dealing with it is right or wrong; it's just the way people manage within their personalities.

Unless you are Stage IV, your cancer treatment will end and eventually you won't be treated by an oncologist. After a time, even your insurance rates can go back to normal! That is a good thing and should be celebrated!

It is only those of us who are Stage IV who are in treatment forever.

Whether you want to look at yourself as cured or whether you want to look at yourself as NED, either one is a fantastic thing and I hope you can enjoy it, and I hope you have a long, happy, cancer-free life.

allielala 05-03-2012 07:26 AM

Thankyou Cathya for your caring response. l am determined to complete all my treatments and continue on with my life with my beautiful family. l have surrended the questioning and wondering in my mind that could give no answers. l found myself being completely exhausted by my mind. l thought if l end up living an average life etc what a waste of thinking energy. What will be will be! l have begun loving thy liver with a nutururing way, almost like my baby. l try to send alot of love and kindness because l do think this humbles me and makes me feel good inside. l do believe in NED and CURE. There are people out there that may not write there positive stories sometimes simply because they are too busy living!! x lala x

pibikay 05-05-2012 03:36 AM

I think one can be cured.My sis-in-law wanted us to see a youtube progrmme of a person cured of cancer