HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Drug for chemo brain (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54956)

Andrea Barnett Budin 07-07-2012 12:04 PM

Really good to know...!

I love the free link. I love free. And getting to know supplements is up there on my Need To Know list. Thanks Rhonda!!

I have a large paperbook A-Z DRUG-FREE REMEDIES USING VITAMINS, MINERALS, HERBS & FOOD SUPPLEMENTS -- called PRESCRIPTION FOR NUTRITIONAL HEALING by Phyllis A. Balch. Every few yrs I upgrade to the newer edition. I now have 4th edition.

You name the supplement, you name the condition/dysfunction and you have a handy informative guide to how to procede -- at your fingertips. In your lap...

When I got shingles (a mnth into Taxotere) as it seizes immune system compromised opportunities -- I caught it fast. Got on the Valtrex right off. And was told I couldn't have chemo till I was all better.

I KNEW that if I didn't get the chemo I would die. So I added the suggested supplements in my book. 10 days later (after going through sheer hell and inconceivable pain) I returned to my onc. He asked how I was doing. I am good, I reported, sitting on the exam table. He smiled and said, Ok, let's see. I lifted my shirt and he circled. He was stunned. You're right! You can get back on the chemo!

Shingles can last months, even years. I had no time to waste. I needed to get on the program to save my life. Dive into the process and know that in the end -- I would survive.

STRONG, BRAVE AND DETERMINED. Even when you don't fully believe you can -- you can. You can do it!

Andi

sassy 07-08-2012 01:21 PM

Re: Drug for chemo brain

Thanks everyone for this great thread. The info on supplements is fantastic!

I have found that my chemo brain has improved over the years, however not back to the "normal" of before.

On the subject of lost words, for me it was specifically nouns that I lost, proper nouns even more so--verbs, adverbs and adjectives seemed to stick around.

Cathya 07-20-2012 09:58 AM

Thank you so much for this wonderful thread. Following treatment I found out I had had a lacunar stroke which only seemed to make my chemo brain worse....I kept thinking...was it chemo brain or stroke causing me to forget so much. I am a little better but still have a terrible memory and my ability to multitask is gone. I am on medication re the stroke but am going to re-read all this information to see where to begin with this natural approach. I would be grateful for any suggestions. So happy to get this info. My best to you all. So happy for you Andi!!

Cathy

Cathya 07-20-2012 10:06 AM

Rhondalea;

Did you have genetic testing done to discover that you were Val 157Met Met...etc. I don't know what this is but would genetic testing (perhaps with 23andme) be useful in deciding which supplements to take?

Cathy

rhondalea 07-20-2012 12:41 PM

Hi Cathy,

Yes, I did have genetic testing done. 23andMe used to offer a tempting discount on DNA Day, and I was curious, so I sent away for my test tube. I also had my adult daughter tested, which made the results even more interesting. I believe the current cost is a flat rate is $299.

I do use it to help me choose the supplements I need to compensate for genetic shortfalls, although that wasn't part of my plan when I ordered the kit.

23andMe does offer a certain amount of information about diseases, conditions and traits, but I've found it to be limited. For example, it led me to believe that I have a lower risk of breast cancer than the average woman. You can imagine my surprise when my gynecologist found the lump.

To compensate for 23andMe's reporting deficiency, I use my raw data file with SNPedia's Promethease. I'm also registered on sites like opensnp.org (where I've uploaded my raw data file for public use and viewing), and I spend a lot of time rooting around in obscure gene databases. As it turns out, although I'm BRCA1 and 2 negative, I have other genes to indicate I'm at higher risk.

As to Val158Met, there's a ton of information, including the factoid about modafinil, on SNPedia:

http://snpedia.com/index.php/Rs4680