HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Beta Glucan and herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42089)

Lani 02-20-2011 04:12 PM

Re: Beta Glucan and herceptin

found the following article on the benefits of yeast over mushroom beta glucan

Caveat--study done in mice

Cancer Biol Ther. 2009 Feb;8(3):218-25. Epub 2009 Feb 3.
Therapeutic potential of various beta-glucan sources in conjunction with anti-tumor monoclonal antibody in cancer therapy.
Driscoll M, Hansen R, Ding C, Cramer DE, Yan J.

Tumor Immunobiology Program, James Graham Brown Cancer Center, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202 , USA.
Abstract
Combined beta-glucan with anti-tumor mAb therapy has demonstrated therapeutic efficacy in murine tumor models. The current study was designed to compare the therapeutic efficacy of various sources of beta-glucans. Our studies demonstrated that yeast beta-glucan, in combination with anti-tumor mAb, resulted in significantly smaller tumor burdens and achieved enhanced long-term survival compared to mAb alone or beta-glucan extracts from mushrooms. Further studies indicated that yeast beta-glucan particle was superior to mushroom extracts in inducing cytokine secretion, particularly IL-12 production in dendritic cells (DCs). In addition, results showed that cytokine production was markedly decreased in MyD88-deficient macrophages and DCs but not in complement receptor 3 (CR3)-deficient mice. Our data suggest that yeast beta-glucan demonstrates much stronger adjuvant activity compared to mushroom beta-glucan extracts in tumor therapy. This effect of yeast beta-glucan may be in part ascribed to the cytokine secretion by DCs and macrophages and bioavailability of active beta-glucan moiety.

PMID: 19106638 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Free Article

oregon 03-02-2011 09:59 PM

Hi Lani,

I don't mean to be ignorant, but what is yeast beta glucan? Where can I find it and how much does one take while on Herceptin without chemo?

Thanks.

Ellie F 03-03-2011 06:12 AM

Thanks Lani
I started this post some time ago.
I have been taking reishi mushroom extract for 6 months. I took a yeast source initially from the States but can't remember it's name now!!
If anyone has any good suggestions for brands I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Ellie

ElaineM 03-03-2011 10:26 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-glucan

Gift 03-04-2011 12:43 AM

Details below show Beta Glucan producing from yeast that I've mentioned before. Maho is its tradename. I buy it from a distributor here in my country. Please search for your local availability in case of interest.

Cheers,
Gift

Maho Betaglucan
Maho is a great quality supplements product from Japan, it means “Treasure”, looks like a gel, not through the process of flavors. Maho causes by cultivation of the selected black yeast strain, is dined mixed food including; Sucrose, Bran, Vitamin C and others Formula of the company mix mineral water, all ingredient from nature 100 %. When the cells grow up, it will create fiber that look like a gel to encapsulate its cells. The getting substances that have Molecular structure are 1,3-1,6 style of Beta Glucan, it is widely accepted in research community and the medical community worldwide. The process just got by high temperature sterilization process

Ma Ho Features:
1. Maho, there is mixture of dietary fiber “Beta Glucan” stimulate working of Immunology in your body
2. Maho, looks like a gel, your body can absorbed to use into the body easily and fast.
3. Comes from nature 100%, just only heated sterilization processes by humam
4. Maho, causes by natural cultivation of the selected black yeast strain in proportion of food ingredients standard
5. Everybody can have Maho

Direction:
You can mixed Maho with ice water, hot water, tea, milk, fruit juice and others drink that you like.