HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Well, This Blows! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59642)

KDR 12-05-2013 05:44 PM

Re: Well, This Blows!

I had the "special CT" done yesterday which is my first: a triphasic scan of the liver. I like the way this treatment plan is beginning. The triphasic scan is specifically used to focus on the life of the tumor: how it exists, what it's feeding on, what it
s close to. We meet with IR on Monday, he is MD/PhD. Preliminary information is that the area of interest is just inferior to previous ablations site.

I think MD Anderson is going to be a bit far for me, but people have PMd me of their experiences. I think I am going to read very deeply into your words, "We would not go anywhere else." I'll probably call you after this read. I definitely will not be there by Tuesday. I can tell you who we are thinking of using there.

Thank you everyone for your input and messages. This little wannabe monster is going to blown to bits quite shortly.

Love to all
Karen

StephN 12-05-2013 07:03 PM

Sending wishes for enlightenment and all the information you need to be at your disposal. If you are liking today's turn of events, that is great news.

Very interesting about the triphasic scan. This is the first I have heard of it, so you are again blazing a trial here. Can you tell us more about how it works. Maybe it will need a new thread if it is something that is a "comer" to more clinics.

Bunty 12-05-2013 07:26 PM

All the best Karen - I'm very interested to hear what comes next. You deserve a good break!
Cheers Marie

Catherine 12-05-2013 08:36 PM

Hi Karen,

So sorry for this crummie news. You seem very smart and I am hoping that you will get thru this nasty news and get back to your shopping. As long as you get well, the presents can be a little late!

Love and support are coming your way,

Laurel 12-06-2013 02:24 PM

Karen,

I second Steph's interest in this new scan of yours--very, very interesting. Hope your soreness is abating. Best!

KDR 12-06-2013 04:25 PM

The triphasic liver scan. Radiology department told me as much as they know about it and that it's usually done before an ablation.

??

I missed the first one, I guess.

After I see the doctor, I shall let you all know what we plan.

Big holiday hugs to all,
Karen

Redwolf8812 12-07-2013 06:43 AM

Prayers, Karen. Sorry about the mess you went through. Hope you're feeling better.

- Penny

Andrea Barnett Budin 12-08-2013 05:15 PM

OUT OUT DAMN SPOT! You winking at me???!!!

I googled and got this:
Triphasic CT Scanning
A CT (Computed tomography) scan is a medical imaging method that combines digital X-ray and computed tomography to generate a 3-D image of inside the body. This combination makes it possible to obtain detailed cross-sectional images of internal organs, vessels and bony structures.

A triphasic, or triple-phase, CT scan is an enhanced CT technique mostly used to evaluate liver lesions. This technique acquires images at 3 different time points, or phases, following the administration of a contrast. In general, tumors of the liver tend to show up better in the additional two phases of a triphasic CT scan

Sounds incredibly brilliant to begin at this point before proceeding. I would love to ask last surgeon why he didn't do this in preparation. Perhaps he could have seen what was up before going in.

Who suggested this CT? I like them!!

And I love you, Karen, as you well know.

Please let us know what Monday brings...
Andi

norkdo 12-09-2013 06:04 PM

fingers and toes crossed....xoxox
Nora

KDR 12-10-2013 10:29 AM

Good news! Wait, great news!

I met a great surgeon! He's off to Italy to present on his technique next week, so I have to wait a bit. Another plus: I loved his nurse, too! It was a very human experience. I learned that in 10 years of busy practice, bleeds have occurred just three times, one of them me. Can't happen again. No, no, no. (By the way, the risk rate of this procedure is 2 percent, and that's considered high).

The hole in my liver has filled in a bit, regenerated, and all appears healthy.

We plan to ablate the Little Met on 6 January. It's a scary time for me, and I go forth strong but with my past teaching me my present. What more motivation could I need but the thought...this might be it? There is no active cancer anywhere except this area. I'm still processing the information and need to speak with my onco.

Thanks for your PMs, too. Your information and opinions helped me make a very informed decision, I feel.

Warmly
Karen

LeahM 12-10-2013 11:33 AM

Great Christmas news Karen!

Coux92 12-10-2013 06:49 PM

Wonderful news Karen! It will be a Happy new Year for sure. Praying for successful, uneventful surgery!��

Andrea Barnett Budin 12-10-2013 07:23 PM

Ok then!

Bye Little Met! January 6 is the day!

It's always wise to learn from experience and yet -- please don't focus your attention over your shoulder, Karen. Our past doesn't predict our future!

Ablate the thought "this might be it" from your mind immediately. What you concentrate on will materialize. So think of -- this is it for Little Met.

And I am grateful that there is no active cancer anywhere except this little guy.

This feels like the right move to me, Karen. Go forth KNOWING you have a master plan complete with detailed blueprints as to its precise location and nuances. Go get that sucker and blow him away!

Rest comfortably in your choice. It is sound and well-plotted.

Focus on how joyful you will feel when they tell you that blinking met is out of your life!!!!!!! Think of THAT every night as you prepare to fall asleep and throughout the day, when bad thoughts creep in, as they tend to do.

Kick it to the side, and replace it as fast as you can with the elation you are soon to know!

My love,

Andi

StephN 12-10-2013 08:02 PM

To me the phrase "this might be it" means that this coming treatment will bring KDR back to NED. That is how I will think about her and this procedure.

Thanks for the super news that the team has your confidence. Of utmost importance to take worries out of your head.

Now have a great time with your daughter and everyone through the holiday season.

linn65 12-11-2013 06:36 AM

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house

Not a creature was stirring, not even a MET;

The equipment tools were hung by the surgery room with care,

In hopes that DOCTOR soon would be there;

The family were nestled all snug in their seats,

While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;

And Karen in her ‘Surgery gown, and the nurse in her cap,

Had just settled their brains for a long abiliation surgery,

When out on the operating room there arose such a clatter,

Karen sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.

Away to the surgical room she flew like a flash,

Tore open the doors and and went straight to sleep.

The bright lights on the new surgical equipment

Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,

But a surgeon, and team full of nurses, and medical assistant's

With new techniques, so lively and quick,

I knew in a moment it must be the doctor

More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,

And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;

‘Now Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!

On, Comet! On, Cupid! on, on Donner and Blitzen!

To the top of the exam room! to the top of the wall!

Now dash away! dash away! dash away Mets!’

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,

When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky;

So out of your body the mets flew,

With the room full of nurses, and the surgeon too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard in recovery

The talking and teaching about each little stitch.

As I drew in my head, and was turning around,

Out the room the surgeon came with a bound,

He was dressed all in scrubs, from his head to his foot,

and his scrubs were all wrinkled and filled full of sweat.

His eyes-how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!

His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!

His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,

And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow;

He had a broad face and a little round belly,

That shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly.

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,

and I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;

A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,

Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

He spoke not a word, but had finished his work,

and told all the family that met was a jerk,

and laying his finger aside of his nose,

and giving a nod, out the waiting room he went;

He sprang to his feet , to his team gave a whistle,

and away they all walked down from the hall.

But I heard him exclaim, ‘abiliated the met out of sight,

‘Happy Christmas to Karen, and to all a good-night!!

KDR 12-11-2013 07:33 AM

WOW!

That is amazing imagery! I love it and totally appreciate the time you took out to construct it!

Brilliant!

Love
Karen

Mel3 12-11-2013 08:14 AM

Wonderful news! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery in January.

MaineRottweilers 12-11-2013 06:48 PM

Fantastic news! I will be thinking of you on MetAblation Day. Happy New Year!

CarolineC 01-07-2014 11:18 AM

Karen,

I'm hoping everything went really well yesterday and wishing you a Happy New Year!

Mtngrl 01-07-2014 03:00 PM

Karen,

Best wishes to you. I pray you've seen the last of your little liver visitor.