PDA

View Full Version : Update On Solitary Brain Met Treatment

Freakzilla
10-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Right,

As you all know my girlfriend had a solitary 4 x 3.5cm Brain Met completely resected 8 weeks ago. We had been waiting for an SRS boost to the resection bed.

12 days ago my Girlfriend had the MRI Scan for planning for the SRS. Last week we spoke to her Onc and said the scan was all OK. There was some bruising/hematoma in the resection cavity, but this was to be expected.

This morning we was told that the SRS boost had been rejected as they feel felt the tumor had recurred where the tumour was before and it is too big to treat with Gamma Knife. Stunned is a understatement.

This afternoon the neurosurgeon who resected the brain met looked at the scan. He thinks it is cyctic/hematoma. There is a MDM meeting on Friday to decide what to do. It looks like it could be resection again.

My girlfriend is destroyed. Can't believe you can have such conflicting info in 1 week.

Preying it isn't a recurrence.

Juls
10-27-2015, 05:45 PM
I have no words - just wanted to acknowledge your update.
Thinking of you
Juls

Crn
10-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Praying for you both.
Cindy

Carol Ann
10-27-2015, 08:38 PM
This sucks. I am so sorry.

Carol Ann

Mtngrl
10-28-2015, 07:24 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this news. And it must be driving you nuts to have conflicting interpretations.

If we get a vote, I'm for assuming it's bruising, and it will heal, and everything will be OK.

MaineRottweilers
10-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Praying for bruising and that time will heal all. They waiting and uncertainty must be agonizing. You are in my thoughts.

tricia keegan
10-29-2015, 12:39 PM
I'm so sorry and just wanted to add my good wishes for you both.

Freakzilla
10-30-2015, 05:20 PM
​Not a good day.

It has deemed to be residual orrecurrence in the resection cavity. 3cm in 7 weeks. My girlfriend is in for emergency surgery now with an SRS boost in 4 weeks if all goes well.

Devastated! :(

Crn
10-30-2015, 05:46 PM
I don't know what to say except that you both are in my thoughts.
Cindy

Juls
10-30-2015, 05:58 PM
I am so sorry to hear this.
Thinking of you both
Juls

thinkpositive
10-30-2015, 06:08 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Take Care,
Brenda

Mtngrl
10-30-2015, 06:56 PM
So sorry. What a blow.

It still may turn out OK. Don't give up hope yet.

Freakzilla
11-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Update

Surgery was performed yesterday. All of the tumour was removed. There was a cyst in the middle which was drained. The tumour was around the edge of the previous one, so cells were probably left after the previous resection. Last time they only did a CT after resection. This time they did a MRI with Contrast. That confirmed complete excision.

Plan now is to get the Gamma knife boost ASAP. They said within 4 weeks. I want two weeks. Surgeon has already been hassling people about it, even though it isn't he's remit which is good. Usually I make such a pain of myself that things get done. Tomorrow I will be on the phone for an update.
Hopefully we are back to where we were 9 weeks ago.

Thanks for everyones positive messages.

MaineRottweilers
11-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Yesterday?! You sound FANTASTIC!!! I'm so pleased for you. REST up and then live it up!

Freakzilla
11-06-2015, 09:36 AM
Update

It was decided today that either Linac or Tomotherapy will be used to boost the resection cavity.

Planning will be done on Thursday and treatment will start within a week of that.

They feel the area is too big for a Gamma Knife boost, but the end result. is the same Instead of one session it will be 15.

Mtngrl
11-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the update!

Brain mets are scary. Sorry about the 15 sessions, but praying it does the job and the brain stays whole and sound.

Amy