PDA

View Full Version : Radiation, Again

MaineRottweilers
10-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Met with RO today. We went over the scans: small lesions at C6, T10, T11 and L2 is fully involved and collapsing. The other lesions are small. RO says if we had done this scan three months ago, it would have been normal except for L2. I will have kyphoplasty in the next few days to stabilize L2. Once, I am sufficiently recovered, I will have four radiation treatments to L2 only. This is supposed to relieve my pain and neurological symptoms. Here's hoping!

Mtngrl
10-14-2015, 04:34 PM
Oh, boy. That sounds daunting. It also sounds pretty hopeful. "Just" some surgery and radiation, to just one of the lesions. Did I understand that right?

I read about kyphoplasty in a book called Hoping for More, by a woman whose first clue she had breast cancer was her back breaking. It worked well for her, anyway. Here's hoping you'll soon be pain-free and dancing with NED!

Amy

StephN
10-14-2015, 09:23 PM
Fervent hope and prayers that all will be well with that treatment, and you will be getting rid of the smaller lesions as well.

MaineRottweilers
10-15-2015, 03:43 AM
Amy, surgery and radiation are just the start. I'll have my port installed, OVH and start sytemics but we don't have that plan laid out firmly. I am still waiting for insurance to approve my PET scan to determine if there is any other involvement-- yet too slight to be seen on MRI/CT imaging that I have had.

I am really looking forward to regaining some steadiness on my feet because otherwise, I feel just fine. Having neuro deficits from cauda equina syndrome. I had been walking five miles each day, over rough terrain, in the woods. I really miss that. I noticed, in July, that I was stumbling a lot and having some twinges in my back. On July 30, I sneezed and "put my back out". I suffered for a few weeks waiting for it to get better, as things should with rest.

I just want to get back out there, walking, before the snow flies. I am super hopeful.

Carol Ann
10-15-2015, 08:49 AM
I am so hopeful right along with you that this plan will have you back out there walking and back to NED.

Carol Ann

Dakini52
10-15-2015, 10:58 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you as you proceed on your new treatment.

Laurel
10-15-2015, 04:49 PM
Very sorry to hear of your newest set back. I hope the protocol planned will be tolerable and effective so you can put on snowshoes and walk in those woods again. There is NOTHING better for mind and body than a hike in the woods! Will keep you in my prayers. Please check in often to let us know how it is going.

michka
10-16-2015, 07:59 AM
I hope you can get through the surgery radiation part fast for the pain and that you can start a systemic treatment. Sending strength. Michka