PDA

View Full Version : Graduating to yearly mammos

europa
07-16-2015, 07:26 PM
So I have a tiny bit of good news. I have graduated to a yearly mammogram. I no longer will be getting Breast MRI's in conjunction with mammograms. My 3D mammogram came out clear and my onc said that he didn't see a reason to continue both anymore.
So my routine is back to a yearly. And next month I finish the vaccine trial. I get my last booster. Slowly, my life is becoming less medically and Cancer centered. Not going to lie, it feels like I'm slowly being pushed of the cliff of an island I have grown to call home and I am expected to fly. Gulp.

thinkpositive
07-16-2015, 10:03 PM
Well fly you will! Sounds like good news. I'm sure you will adjust nicely to your new normal. Not having to focus so much on cancer and instead spending time enjoying living is something I'm looking forward to.

Take care,
Brenda

tricia keegan
07-19-2015, 10:00 AM
It's always hard to let loose on our own, my Onc just told me after ten years she's going to discharge me and I felt quite scared too even though I should be relaxing after all these years. This is good news for you, as it is for me too and we just need to be more confident, spread our wings and fly away knowing the nest is still there should we ever have need of it again...good luck!

v-ness
07-22-2015, 07:00 AM
i understand what you mean. i like any time i can get a manual exam now that i'm like you on the once-a-year mammo. so i get my every 6 mo onco visit and in between that i go to the gyno and then the mammo 6 months from that. that way i have myself covered every 3 months. :D did you ever read Musa Meyer's 'After Breast Cancer' book? i would recommend it. good luck to you.

europa
07-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Thank you all! I have now graduated to not seeing my radiologist oncologist. I love her so I think I'll make an appointment for a year from now. It's so bizarre to exit the cancer hamster wheel. I've spent the last 4 years in this vaccum, I kinda forgotten what it's like to not be seeing a doctor or have a medical proceedure all the time.