PDA

View Full Version : Supplements while taking herceptin

Debikitten
01-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Hi all! Does anyone know if it's ok to take vitmains, antioxidants,,,or any supplements while on Herceptin!? Does anything interfere with it working properly? I want to feel good while on it...but don't want to compromise its effectiveness.....thank you!

waterdreamer
01-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Supplements are important moving forward. I would suggest reading the book "Radical Remission" by Kathy Turner (if I remember her name correctly) there are a lot of good books out, but probiotics, systemic enzymes, anti parasitic, anti bacterial, antifungal and immune system boosters are very important.

Bunty
01-06-2015, 05:11 PM
I've been on Herceptin continuously now for seven years, and whilst only on Herceptin (and Tamoxifen now), I take quite a few vitamins, and a specially made herbal mixture from a naturopath, and swear by weekly acupuncture to keep my system in balance. Importantly, when having chemo my naturopath removes all the immune boosters, and I cut out the vitamins that are immune boosters.

I think there is one vitamin that many would say is very important whilst on Herceptin, and that's Co-Enzyme Q10 - it protects the heart muscle, which can be affected by Herceptin. I went on it about six years ago after my MUGA score dropped a bit, and next MUGA after taking CQ10 was back up in a good range and never changes. I also take Magnesium which I recollect also helps with heart muscle function. There are many threads on this subject here.

Of course, all very debatable as to effectiveness of taking supplements, and there will be many opinons here I'm sure! However, my regime makes me feel as I'm helping myself, as well as the help I get from my medical team.

Cheers Marie

sarah
01-08-2015, 01:24 AM
Hello,
any thoughts if you're taking Perjeta as well?
sarah