PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for Kristin Schwick

Carol Ann
10-22-2014, 07:17 AM
Her cancer has spread. I am so sad to post this. But I thought you all would want to know.

http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/

I am so tired of all the cheery "Just find it early and you'll be fine" crap. I am so tired of 98% of the money raised in this atrocity of Pinktober for breast cancer going to awareness and early detection, when it is metastasis that kills.

Carol Ann

embur102
10-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Prayers for strength and healing

Mtngrl
10-22-2014, 09:53 AM
Carol Ann,

I'm with you. October used to be my favorite month. No more.

Poor Kristin. It's so very sad.

Pamelamary
10-22-2014, 11:30 PM
Thanks for letting us know - sad news indeed. Kristin will be in all our hearts.....Pam

zhelmom
10-23-2014, 06:25 AM
I am in....prayers for kirstin.......

annettchen
10-23-2014, 07:10 AM
I hope and pray for Kristin. This is horrible, and I think maybe I can relate a little, having a young child as well...

Re. Pink October: got my Herceptin / Perjeta yesterday and lo and behold: they now have breast cancer pink garbage bags in the Chemo ward. I kid you not.

When I spoke with my favorite nurse and asked her whether she didn't find this just tasteless and weird and complete and utter bullsh***, she just shrugged her shoulders. Then again, she's not into pink October either...

Carol Ann
10-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Annette, good for you for speaking up! Not surprised at her reaction, but at least you told her how you felt about it. Maybe the word will get back. My onc's office has avoided ANY mention of Pinktober, which I really appreciate.

I intend to keep speaking the truth whenever I have an opportunity, 365 days a year.

Carol Ann

KathyT
10-23-2014, 01:11 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Kristin, I went to her blog and needed a box of Kleenex....it just doesn't seem fair!! I have 3 kids and can't imagine not being here to raise them. Unfortunately you just never know. God bless her and her family, she will be in my prayers nightly.

KDR
10-23-2014, 01:38 PM
I'm not giving up on you, Kristin! You can do this! I'm sorry to hear about the progression, yes...you can beat it back. You are always around with uplifting words for all...so here are a few for you...
We love you! Continue to strive! Continue to thrive!

XOXO
Your friend
Karen

BonnieR
10-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Annette. Those garbage bags are another sign of the trivializing of breast cancer. A treatment facility should be more aware. Probably someone's misguided idea of being supportive
And on the other hand we have dear Kristen in dire straights. Pink seems so trite under the circumstances
Keep the faith everyone

Carol Ann
10-23-2014, 06:37 PM
You said it, Bonnie. Trite and a useless token, thy name is Pinktober. Just THINK of how much farther we might be towards a cure, if all the $$ spent to dye the garbage bags pink, etc had gone to metastatic research over the years since there's been a Pinktober ...

But no. And so, every 14 minutes, someone will die of breast cancer in the US, just as they have for decades.

Carol Ann

BonnieR
10-23-2014, 06:47 PM
Susan Koman went entirely over the edge by endorsing pink drill bits for fracking equipment
And don't get me started on all the bars having "save the ta tas" drinking parties, the "go bra less" promotions. Etc etc.
But keep the faith!

Carol Ann
10-23-2014, 06:53 PM
I agree, Bonnie! I think this was GOOD -- it made alot of people wake up to the fact that Komen is not interested in a cure, just keeping the pink machine going and $$$.

CA

annettchen
10-23-2014, 07:04 PM
Ladies,

They mean well, I have to assume.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with finding breast cancer early, while it is still curable - if pink garbage bags help doing that, go for it! And my favorite nurse at least indicated that she was fundamentally unwilling to wear the prescribed pink shirt this Friday (good thing I got my medication yesterday!).

I can stare at a pink garbage bag while hanging on an IV that I hope will prolong my life so I can see my almost 6 years old daughter grow up some more years - in fact, as many years as I can get.

I'm sure Kristin feels the same way - we'd do anything. So, if the pink bag HELPED, why not? Not even sure I don't find it kinda funny - weird, crazy, macabre, but somehow I couldn't help smiling at such a hapless, helpless, embarrassing attempt to do good.

It's weird: my oncologist says that approximately 30% of the women that are diagnosed with cancer will eventually develop mets, and, at the current state of affairs, therefore most likely die of it (unless they are run over by a bus after all, that is...).

Yet, no one in the pink fraction seems to want to acknowledge that fact. Yes, it's scary. Then again: maybe I would apply the "ostrich strategy" if I had not been among the unlucky small group that had mets from the get go... Given I still try to give cancer as little room in my life as I possibly (and technically) can, I probably would have.

Anyway, enough of my slightly pointless musings - maybe Pinktober is getting to me after all...

Carol Ann
10-23-2014, 07:17 PM
We all have our different feelings about pink. I think the most important thing is that we are able to honestly state how we feel without fear of judgment.

Which is why I love this forum and everyone here! It is a judgment free zone. And yes, I'm the first to agree and say, its been a long month!

Carol Ann

BonnieR
10-23-2014, 07:26 PM
But you know what, when I was new in Cancerland I embraced the pink everything. It made me feel not so alone. And that we were DOING something! I wore my pink ribbon proudly. My husbands airline allowed the pilots to wear pink ties which he did to support me. I guess with some time away from diagnosis I have become more cynical and am seeing some of the ludicrous extremes. But it was very affirming in the early days. And has a place
Especially if people are well meaning and earnest
Keep the faith

Carol Ann
10-24-2014, 09:05 AM
I think I was more cynical from the get go than I might have been when NONE of the diagnostics I had (mammo, ultrasound, and MRI) were accurate. They all FAILED to find any of the tumors I had, and there were certainly enough to go around!

yanyan
10-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Bump it up for Kristin !! i read her blog today and that she is having a hard time dealing with liver issues. Please continue to pray for Kristin!

Carol Ann
10-31-2014, 11:22 AM
I just read today's entry. It is heartbreaking.

Carol Ann

annettchen
10-31-2014, 11:46 AM
I'm so, so sorry. I wish there were anything I - or anyone - can do. I'm praying...

norkdo
10-31-2014, 08:00 PM
prayers for you, kristin

Pray
11-03-2014, 05:52 AM
More prayers for Kristen and her family. She is an amazingly strong woman.

KaiM
11-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Kristin, I am holding you and your family in my heart. Sending prayers for strength and comfort.

Jackie07
11-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Kristin,

One day at a time.

StephN
11-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Another young life gradually fading. Gradually giving way, unless her new doctor has something brilliant for Kristin to try.
Prayers for you, dear sister.

Carol Ann
11-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Kristin is an angel now. She passed yesterday according to her Facebook page. This breaks my heart.

Carol Ann

Cath
11-29-2014, 10:53 AM
I am so sorry to hear of Kristin' s passing. She was such an inspiration to me. It is just so unfair and I just don't understand why. I hate cancer so much! Rest in peace Kristin. You will be missed.

jaykay
11-29-2014, 12:19 PM
I f'ing hate this disease!

yanyan
11-29-2014, 12:20 PM
Rest in peace dear Kristin. Your son will grow up strong and healthy and surrounded by love. Your left at such a young age yet you faced the end of the journey with such grace. Thinking of you always!!

thinkpositive
11-29-2014, 01:41 PM
How very sad. There are no words to describe just how hearing such news makes you feel. Looking at her blog Kristin seemed like such a wonderful person. I cant imagine the pain her family must be feeling. My heart goes out to her and her family. Such a tragic loss. It is certainly a reminder of just how much we must treasure and enjoy each day because there is no guarantees in life.

europa
11-29-2014, 05:21 PM
So incredibly sad. I am so heartbroken by this news.

KDR
11-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Oh, what sad news. Goodbye, Kristin. You were admired. Greatly.

Karen

Pamelamary
11-29-2014, 06:55 PM
More sad news... this hasn't been a good year, but I guess such things don't happen in cancerville. Rest in peace, Kristin, and condolences to her family and friends..... Pam

rhondalea
11-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Too angry for words.

Godspeed, Kristen.

Redwolf8812
11-29-2014, 10:44 PM
So sorry to hear this.

:-( Penny

annettchen
11-30-2014, 08:14 PM
This is too sad to put into words. I can't even begin thinking about her son, who will have to grow up without his mom, and her husband and family.

Tomorrow, though, we'll all stand back up, dry our tears and continue to fight in defiance of this monster that is trying to eat our heart and our soul, together with our future.

From the bottom of my heart I hope she rests in peace.

One day, there will be a cure so that something like this will not happen any more.

suzan w
12-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Sad sad...

'lizbeth
12-01-2014, 10:37 AM
It is very sad the number of mothers that are lost to breast cancer. Kristen was more than a fellow breast cancer patient - she was a wonderful source of information on the board.

It is times like this that we all need to pull together and work toward creating a future that eliminates cancer tragedies. Many wonderful ladies have been lost from the board to cancer. I wish Kristin had not passed on,but she's probably up in heaven cracking up from NEDenise's jokes.

lkc Gumby
12-01-2014, 12:18 PM
i am too very very sad that Kristen has passed. Condolences to her family.

Laurel
12-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Oh I am so saddened by this news! Such a young and vivacious lady with so much to live for! Godspeed to her family.

caya
12-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Very sad. Sending condolences to her family.

all the best
caya

KaiM
12-01-2014, 05:13 PM
My heart is breaking at this news. I shared a bond with Kristin, being a mom with young ones and a stage IV diagnoses from the gate. I pray for peace and strength for her family.

Ceesun
12-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Oh my, this just takes my breath away....too young, too soon, so very sad. You did make us so proud of you, sweet gal......Cathy

Bunty
12-02-2014, 05:10 AM
Rest in peace dear Kristin - very sad.... Too young.....

dawny
12-03-2014, 04:10 AM
Oh, I am so saddened to hear this news, my thoughts are with her family and friends, and with us, her friends here. Xx

linn65
12-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Very sad and so so sorry for her family! I read this and immediately it makes me cry. I just hate cancer.....

Saygoon
12-04-2014, 08:12 AM
Heartbreaking- prayers for family

linzer
12-04-2014, 01:24 PM
So sorry to hear this. Sympathies to all of you who had become friends with her and especially to her family. Heartbreaking.

Nurse4u2day
12-04-2014, 09:01 PM
I am so sad for such awful news.

Mtngrl
12-05-2014, 07:49 PM
I will miss Kristin's warmth, wit, and intelligence. It isn't fair. It's so sad.

My youngest son's middle name is Parker, after a much-older great uncle. He and one of his sisters both want to name their first son Parker. (Neither is married. . . .)