PDA

View Full Version : I'm a zombie...thanks Neurontin aka Gabapentin

Bellaokc
10-21-2014, 10:05 AM
A few months ago my left arm, which had been numb since my mastectomy and lymph node removal, started to "wake up." It was hurting all day and I had to wear a compression sleeve, which I hate, to keep it from REALLY hurting. The surgeon who performed the surgery prescribed Neurontin and it worked immediately. However it has also turned me into the walking dead and I am exhausted all of the time. I take 300mg a couple of hours before bed and I start drooling out of the side of my mouth. I wake up feeling fine the next morning for about 2 hours, then I start to crash again. The fatigue gets worse as the day wears on and then I take my nightly pill and begin the cycle all over again.
I started the medication 6 days ago and I have been reading that the body will adjust to the side effects and I will be able to function again, but I am seriously thinking of stopping the medication and putting the compression sleeve back on.
Any thoughts???

Thank you!

StephN
10-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Hello Bella -

Maybe you are taking a little too much to begin with.

Yes, Gabapentin WILL do that - increase the fogginess. I had to switch to Lyrica after my back surgery for just that reason. A few weeks on lowered Gabapentin dose, but the cumulative effect was too noticeable. The Lyrica has a rather costly co-pay, but it worked well for me, I needed less of it and I got my brain (such as it is) back.

I was lucky enough to get a surgeon who did not slice right through my main nerve while removing my lymph nodes. He took an extra five minutes to spare it. I did have some numbing, but had feeling at the back of my upper arm after the anesthesia wore off. Too bad this is not something that more women can insist upon, but they are not told how the surgeon will do the cutting, or what he will cut or leave intact.

This level of detail goes beyond what most of us can deal with when facing surgery and all the questions that are bouncing around. But it IS important.

sassy
10-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Hey Bella,

I took Neurontin for several years and did have to work through N adjustment period. As Steph said, perhaps you should lower the dosage. I think mine was 200mg that I actually took four times a day. I can't say I got to the Point of no signs of lethargy, but it did resolve to a tolerable level.

Bellaokc
10-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Thank you for your responses ladies :-) I am happy to report that today (day 7) I felt MUCH better. I couldn't believe it! The Neurontin worked on the pain and I was neither foggy-brained nor lethargic.

Steph, I had originally not wanted to have any lymph nodes removed, but the surgeon thought I would regret it later, since my cancer had been growing so aggressively. I didn't realize that nerve damage would result from the surgery.

I have read that people usually have to increase their dosage after a while. So we will see if that is the case with me. After so many months of SOMETHING hurting, brain not working, feeling exhausted, etc...one good day is like a diamond. I am hoping that things are on the upswing now.

michka
10-24-2014, 02:49 AM
Hello Bella
I am happy you are feeling better. I had to take Neurontin for a year after surgery for pain, burning and electric shocks in my arm. The surgeons don't speak about this before the operation and they should. After a year I was able to lower the dosage and get rid of Neurontin. I still have problems with my arm but I can manage it without Neurontin.
So my suggestion would be that if you can stabilize the pain you could try to slowly reduce the dosage after a few months. Things improve.