PDA

View Full Version : Is this true? Getting sick question

eva9310
09-26-2014, 03:55 PM
I have really not worried too much about getting sick. Of course I try not to but I don't stay at home all the time. My friend told me that the problem is not derailing treatment but that if I were to get sick that it would be really hard for them to treat and could be life treating while on chemo.

She is on the other side of chemo/surgery and was fussing at me for being in the school. I guess all kinds of bugs are going around and first flus are out.

Is that what you have heard about getting sick?

Adriana Mangus
09-26-2014, 04:22 PM
Please, don't listen to downers, she might be your dear friend but knows nothing about your body, whether you will be able to go trough all the treatments without side effects-- like a lot of us-- time will tell.

You don't mention feeling sick or anything, and if your blood test (s) are within normal range, there is nothing to worry about.

Stay away from negative people. It's not nice of your friend to have made that
comment.

Stay healthy.

Lisalou
09-26-2014, 08:11 PM
My onc told me I could be out and in any public places I wanted, including schools. As long as you are not neutropenic you should be fine. Do try to avoid obvious sick people,and frequent hand washing is always a good idea especially in flu season. No. Need to lock yourself away. Breast ca tx is hard enough without isolating ourselves.
Take care
Lisa

tricia keegan
09-27-2014, 03:58 PM
I didn't understand your question too well, but its best to take anti nausea meds as its easier to prevent nausea than stop once it starts. Its also best to avoid public places while on chemo if possible,this is a given buit if I misunderstood your question I'm sorry. I'd like to add your friend is correct in that a simple cold can leave you in hospital with pneumonia once your white cell count is low from chemo.

leldredge1
09-28-2014, 12:28 PM
I work in a hospital and am certified in infection control. I stay home if my CBC blood tests are low. My oncologist told me he usually advises nurses and teachers to stay home from work while on chemo. When I'm at work I try not to leave my office and avoid the cafeteria and meetings in small rooms. I wash my hands ALOT! I have one more chemo to go and fortunately I have not had any viruses or infections. I am going to get a flu shot this week. I am also going to ask my doc if it is safe to get the pneumonia and shingles vaccines.

Nurse4u2day
09-28-2014, 03:39 PM
There is a chance of derailment of treatment if you get to sick
and yes some illness that aren't usually life threatening can indeed become life threatening if your WBC counts are low then you are at higher risk for infection and fighting it off. If your labs are normal then your at no greater risk than the next person. Your oncologist will do frequent labs to monitor your WBC and risks for infection. There where a few times when I was on lockdown at home because of Neutropenia . I also took extra precautions during treatment. Shopped on off hours and stayed away from public places. I would also ask your doctor about getting your flu shot.
I was in the beginnings of flu season when I had to deal with chemo and it was a nerve racking time for me. I did worry about my son bringing any school illnesses home but we took good care not to put me at additional risk. Good hand washing by all does wonders in infection control.

carlatte7
09-28-2014, 09:02 PM
My onco also said to live my life...Don't sit by the sick people at church...do what you feel like doing... ;)

Jackie07
09-29-2014, 06:16 AM
I worked as an inclusion teacher during chemo+ Herceptin in 2007. I gargled with salt water 4 times a day (after each meal and before bed time) and washed my hands with soap as frequently as possible when I was around students.

Didn't get sick, but couldn't continue after 22 weeks due to reduced heart function (could have been related to a genetic problem called Mitral valve prolapse.) tested by MUGA.