PDA

View Full Version : Taxel,Perjecta good news bad news

Saygoon
08-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Good news is that four of my five mets to my spine are gone! Yea but - one of them (T11) seems to be growing. Onc is taking me off TDM-1 and starting me on Taxel, Perjecta, and Herceptin. Please share your experiences with any/all of these drugs. Ive been on Herceptin before so I know what to expect with that but the other two I know nothing about. When the Chemo Nurse told me I would lose my hair again I just burst into tears!! All this is not helping my anxiety at all!

Mtngrl
08-14-2014, 10:05 AM
The Taxol will make you lose your hair. But it's a tried and true cancer drug, and many people do well on it. Along with Herceptin and Perjeta you may get really good results.

I'm happy for you that you've seen improvement--presumably from the radiation? Let's hope the next treatment regimen knocks out the rest of the cancer and gives you a long, happy dance with NED.

lkc Gumby
08-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Yes Taxol is a great cancer buster. I was on it,and lost my hair, but it all came back. Perjeta and H are easy!

Adriana Mangus
08-14-2014, 09:36 PM
You will do just fine - sans - hair, but remember hair os overrated.

Adriana

sarah
08-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Dogs are some of my favorite friends! I was on Taxol and Herceptin, but not Perjeta which I hear is a great addition. Lost my hair but it came back softer and thicker.
Be sure to get some bicarbonate mouth wash (ask the nurse or doc for advice) and use it several times a day to avoid mouth sores. You may also have some itching skin and nail problems - I actually found calamine lotion the most soothing.
Be sure to mention any side effects, I had chemo once a week for 6 months because my onc thought I wouldn't be able to tolerate the every 3 week version so that's a thought to bring up. I didn't have nausea but I was very tired. I put on weight but some people lose weight. They may keep you on Herceptin for a while, I was originally told for life but stayed on for 6 years, injection every 3 weeks and it was easy but I see you've done it before. I was actually nervous going off it.
good luck
woof from me and Tania, my avatar and best friend - well along with my sweet husband!
sarah

Saygoon
08-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the imput! I guess the hair thing is because I just now got my hair back.......still have a wig and other stuff so Im all set. Ive heard good things about the Perjeta, hopefully I wont be on the Taxol too long. Time will tell and thank God I have more time.

Lisalou
08-15-2014, 07:57 PM
The biggest problem I had while on taxol, Herceptin and perjeta combo was watery diarrhea. Keep some Imodium handy. Otherwise was very tolerable. Nausea was minimal, I was on week low dose rather than dose dense.
Good luck with it