PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here in this study?

BonnieR
07-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Been contacted by UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center to participate in a study about medication and lifestyle that involves perhaps taking the diabetic drug Metformin. ( I just now noticed that I don't like the name. Met. Forming!!!)
Just wondering if anyone here is participating. It is not very nearby for me

Keep the fsith

AlaskaAngel
07-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Hi Bonnie,

There are a number of studies on the use of metformin to treat cancers -- not just bc, either. I got interested in it because I learned that the basis for some of the studies on metformin use with breast cancer started out from one Canadian female doctor, who happened to observe that of her patients who dealt with breast cancer, the ones who happened to be on metformin seemed to have more success in dealing with their cancers.

In considering it, I found it also worthwhile to consider metformin as a possible weapon against cancer, because chemotherapy doesn't kill stem cells -- but metformin does.

I have no diabetes, but with menopause I have become more resistant to insulin. That contributes to weight gain, which puts patients at higher risk for recurrence.

Anyway -- it might be worthwhile to go through the introductory process with the investigators, to ask questions and find out whether you would find it worthwhile to participate. I'm envious of your choice there, because there are so many trials like that, that I can't be part of because of the distance involved in completing the requirements. I have been in one clinical trial now for 10 years but it does mean being seen in Seattle at least yearly for a procedure, and in addition because I live so far away from the trial investigators, they don't pay for the lab here to do the blood draws for me during the rest of the year, although they do cover having the samples sent to them once the draws are done.

I just wanted so desperately when I was diagnosed to contribute to better information for everyone, and clinical trials are a way to do that.

A.A.

waterdreamer
07-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Please would you share the trial co-ordinators name, I am interested in this study. Thanks, and please let me know if you do go ahead and do the trial.

waterdreamer
07-18-2014, 06:05 PM
http://cancer.ucsd.edu/clinical-trials/Pages/details.aspx?nct_id=NCT01302379&cond=&term=metformin&recr=Open&locn=Moores

Thanks Bonnie, this is the link to the trial.

BonnieR
07-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Need to be post menopausal at time of diagnosis

europa
07-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Bonnie, I'm on the metformin trial. It's not bad at all. The biggest thing the metallic taste you get in the beginning but that goes away after a while. I've been on it for over a year and I've noticed that my sweet tooth isn't as bad. I'm in a phase 3 trial and from what I have been told, the data is very promising

Adriana Mangus
07-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Hi Bonnie,

I'm participating in a study called Quality of Life after stage IV diagnosis at UCSD.

broccoli
07-27-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm in one of Dr. Pam Goodwin's Metformin trials (the Canadian doctor mentioned above). I don't know if I'm taking Metformin or a placebo. I know my doctors were guessing I got the real thing because I lost several pounds in the first six months, but who knows.

'lizbeth
07-28-2014, 09:09 AM
I'm in UCSD's ENERGY study. Diet & exercise. Guess I'll go for a walk!

tricia keegan
07-28-2014, 04:53 PM
I think a friend of mine is in this Bonnie and she's quite energetic anyway but will check with her how its going .

sarah
07-29-2014, 04:51 AM
Sounds very interesting. I have a friend on it for diabetes who's wondering if it is also preventive. Any thoughts on that?
Sarah