PDA

View Full Version : Cancer patients who avoid sugar are doubling remission and survival rates

News
05-29-2014, 06:30 AM
"Fed Up," produced by Katie Couric and directed by Stephanie Soechtig, reveals secrets of the American food industry and points to direct links between our health and what we eat, with particular emphasis on sugar.

More... (http://www.news-medical.net/news/20140529/Cancer-patients-who-avoid-sugar-are-doubling-remission-and-survival-rates.aspx)

Lnmum
05-29-2014, 03:55 PM
I love fruit. Do we need to avoid fruit, too?

annettchen
05-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Not 100% sure and I believe there's opinions, too.

My onco says to avoid anything that leads to a "hike" in blood sugar levels - which would include very sweet, sugary fruit, like bananas. Overall I have the impression, though, that she believes that the positive effects of fruit (any) outweigh the potential harm?

I do try to stay away from white sugar, honey, maple sirup (though, when you live in Canada and have a sweet tooth), and the like. And find that there's ample sugar in the most unexpected things - ketchup, for example, the old breakfast cereal - even the presumably "healthy" ones - unless it explicitly states "no added sugar" (which I recently found one at a big Health Food Chain that exists in the US as well)...

Bought some Stevia today, we'll see how that works, since it's apparently a non-culprit...

Annette