PDA

View Full Version : White women more prone to breast cancer because of lifestyle

News
01-09-2014, 11:00 AM
In England, black and South Asian women have lower rates of breast cancer than white women. Now, a new study from Oxford University suggests the reason lies with differences in lifestyle and reproductive patterns.The team, from Oxford's Cancer Epidemiology Unit, lists alcohol consumption, breastfeeding and number of children as some of the factors.

More... (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270964.php)

norkdo
01-14-2014, 04:45 PM
if you are white, you drink more, breastfeed less, bear fewer kids. A generation into living in the UK, the south asian and black women will do the same. Raising standard of living erases differences. And from this, we are to run around saying "booze causes breast cancer". Point of fact: in the "old" countries...south asia, the Caribbean, for example, a woman conceals her breast cancer much more often than in UK and other developed nations. You know there is no treatment, you quietly die of it and hide your breast from family and friends. Hence the last false cause of bc dies....that white women are more likely to have previous b.c. in their family backgrounds. I feel, instead, that association of events/situations/lifestyles do not cause breast cancer. Breast cancer is caused by genetic multiplication. This is one of the sloppy pieces of research i hate. Just because a group of things are associated with one group and not another doesn't mean a damn thing about the causes of breast cancer.

norkdo
01-14-2014, 04:50 PM
funny they picked alcohol over, say, mushy peas, or yorkshire pudding...or (fill in blanks). Still pissed. In my masters degree i took a course in Statistics. Damn glad I did. Not falling for the "oh my god don't drink you'll get breast cancer" lie.

Shirley
01-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Amen Sister!

norkdo
01-21-2014, 09:18 AM
correlation v.s. causation. can be a billion light years apart.

jacqueline1102
01-21-2014, 05:53 PM
I appreciate this post as it pertains to research. Having access to medical journals one cannot dispute the link to breast cancer and health care related behaviors. I once believed that breast cancer was strictly genetic when indeed that is not the case. this information is meant for us to be better informed and not to shame us. I for one want all the information I can get my hands on.