PDA

View Full Version : Goiter and Mugas and Puppies, oh my!

MaineRottweilers
01-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Had a not so great visit with the oncologist today. Muga has dropped from 67% to 59%. However, a number of my lymph nodes are enlarged and I have a mass in my neck. Nothing to get excited about yet, I could be fighting off something (everyone at work has the plague) and I could have goiter or something benign back there. They do not anticipate suspending Herceptin the face of that--yet. I am scheduled for an ultra sound on my neck Friday, before my Herceptin infusion, next week. I also am going to have ANA and Lyme tests drawn because I am experiencing an increase in fatigue ----that should NOT be happening and I am having progressive joint pain. Did I say that I am supposed to pick up my puppy on 2/11? If I put off the purchase again, this will be the fourth time since Dec 2012 that I missed out on my celebratory puppy. I just want to catch a break.....

jaykay
01-02-2014, 08:14 PM
I experienced a drop in my echo (from 65 to 55) about halfway through the year of herceptin and freaked out. My oncologist was not worried. Next echo I had, it was back up to 65 and has remained there.

Good luck with the ultrasound and try not to worry too much. It's not February yet, you'll get that puppy !

Best
Janis

Jackie07
01-02-2014, 11:51 PM
Are you getting a rottweiler?

A poodle (toy, no less) came to our door in spring 1993 and I took it as a sign (our auto mechanic friend told me that "D.O.G. is the reflection of G.O.D. God is trying tell you something.)

It was a great comfort/companion for us as we did not have any children and I had lost my job almost two years prior after completing surgery/rehabilitation for a life-long brain tumor...

'Puppy' stayed with us until I had stopped my treatment for breast cancer in January, 2008.

By the way, the radiation treatment made me feel very tired (the 'fatigue'). It was about half year before things were getting back to normal. The fatigue took me by surprise. But I did locate some info. about radiation-induced fatigue ...

Sending you good vibes.

dchips1
01-03-2014, 01:53 PM
FYI Make sure you are taking COQ10, and if no clotting issues add fish/krill oil. Search old posts, for this as well. Get your doctor to order echo instead of muga scans. more information and no radiation involved.

Peace and Happy new Year

P.s. Kennel train your puppy and get the baby very theraputic for you to cuddle with!!!!

Darita

Saygoon
01-03-2014, 06:42 PM
I agree with dchips1 - get an echo. Made life a lot easier for me. I got a German Shepard puppy around mother's day. After a few weeks I thought OMG! what have I done. But she has brought us so much laughter. She just seemed to bring life into the house even our two old dogs get caught up in the fun. It has also given me something else to think about besides cancer. Post pics of your pup when you get her.

SusanN
01-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Hi :)
Sorry to hear your down...love how Jackie told you about "G.O.D and D.O.G!" They seem to make the best friends all "dressed up in fur!"

I agree with getting an echo as well, just me...I will say, mine has always remained between 55-60, am never to worry per ON...so, I do my best!! Per Darita, I also take CoQ10.

This stuff just isn't easy...I'm dealing with some facial twitching now...still my eyes...at times my joints ache, however, with the joints, I tend to think this can be related to Herceptin. Just a thought...

Hang in there...sending hugs and prayers your way!!!

MaineRottweilers
01-04-2014, 09:33 AM
CoQ10 will be added. I've been doing Omegas and fish oil right along---glad for that. Puppy is a Rottweiler (of course). We show our dogs so kennel training is a standard part of puppy living. It makes things much easier all the way around. As long as I don't have a cancer relapse, I am getting this girl. I've been waiting a long time for her. Just thinking about it makes me happy. I wouldn't be concerned for the fatigue but that I was feeling much better before feeling worse. It was kind of a tease at normalcy. Happy New Year!

SusanN
01-04-2014, 11:26 PM
How you must love what you do...that is wonderful to hear...beautiful picture, too!!
I'm sending prayers your way...please update as soon as you are able!! HUGS!!

MaineRottweilers
01-10-2014, 07:36 PM
U/S shows small mass in thyroid and thyroid enlargement. Drew tons of labs before my Herceptin today for rules outs and thyroid function. Oddly, I heard from the referral endocrinologist before I heard from my oncologist. In fact, I still haven't heard from my MO. I read my U/S report myself during my infusion. I have a dozen Qs and no one to ask them to. Very frustrating experience.

SusanN
01-10-2014, 10:35 PM
An update!! Your thyroid...hmm...oddly, I was JUST told & saw that my TSH levels have been low the past 6 months...will have blood drawn next month, IF still low, will have to have scan. I'm beginning to believe the lingering SE of chemo comes in MANY shapes and forms...I KNOW CHEMO OUT WEIGHS THE WORST, however...seems like for me, there is always another set of problems that arises...
I'm sure you're more than frustrated...I'm so sorry...AND, here it is the weekend!!
Know I'll be keeping you in my prayers...as this brings on such anxiety...Hang in there!!! HUGS!!

MaineRottweilers
01-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Thanks, Susan. :) I'm staying positive. It's a just a bump in the road and, hopefully, just a side effect of treatment not something new or worse....something old renewed. Ah, how I would have loved to have 10 minutes of my MOs time so I might not be sitting here with worry but armed with information.

MaineRottweilers
01-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Interesting: 11/5/13 my TSH was 0.35 and 1/10/14 TSH was 199.0 normal human reference range is 0.27-4.20 uIU/mL. Huh... I'm really looking forward to my appointment with the endocrinologist on Friday. My oncologist had Grave's Dz as a rule out based on U/S image but my symptoms are very much not in line with Grave's. Feeling a teeensie bit vindicated that there may be a reason for how icky and painful I am.