PDA

View Full Version : elevated d-dimere?

sarah
12-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Hello,
Had an odema in neck, sent to emergency because they thought thrombrosis due to catheter (same side, left side). did sonogram, x-ray, scan everything fine but blood test d-dimere was 1200 when it should be less than 500. so kept over 2 nights and will soon have a Petscan.
d-dimere is an indication of a possible blood clot but.....they couldn't find one so.....
I had an odema in neck in 2004 while having taxol and herceptin weekly and back then they did tests and found nothing. I have fibrosis in my right lung and had a blocked artery and a stent put in all due to radiation for the bc.
so wondering could this just be due to breathing and lack of oxygen? it's winter and because of the fibrosis, etc I do have some breathing issues although I walk daily and go to gym 3 times weekly.
Is it possible to just have 1200 d-dimere and it be normal for you? could it be an indication of cancer - inflamation?
Anyone had this problem? solved it?
thanks
sarah

Becky
12-23-2013, 10:23 AM
I would suppose they did an ultrasound on your legs and other areas suspect for blood clots. Because you have lung fibrosis, it could just be that. Have you ever had the d-dimer lab test before? If so, what was the reading then? I suspect you may not have as then you would have a result. I also know you are over 50 and then the lab test isn't as accurate. Also, it they use alot of blood or just alittle bit. A small sample can give poor results too. This reading may just be you (because you have fibrosis). Its hard not to worry though, that we all know. However, they checked the usual suspects and you were fine. Now its just wait and see for the PET scan. Big hug to you.

roz123
12-23-2013, 09:53 PM
sarah
I had a high d-dimere, they did all the tests to rule out blood clots (legs/lungs etc). They gave me blood thinners as a precaution but never figured out why it was so elevated.
I did do my own research and found out that a virus/infection can also cause a elevated level. I had just gotten over fifths disease which my kids gave me and I think this is what elevated my levels. not sure if this is relevant but just wanted to share my experience

sarah
12-24-2013, 06:18 AM
Hello Becky and Roz,
thanks for these helpful replies.
Becky I agree, I'm leaning to the breathing thing due to the fibrosis in my lungs. I think the swollen neck might have no connection. They didn't check my legs - think they were at first worried the cathetar had caused a thrombosis.
I had a d-dimere test a year ago and it was actually higher - 1400 so I tend to agree maybe this is just my new normal - they did a lot of tests then also but that time I had chest pain but no lump, this time it was lump but no chest pain. I'm 67 years old. I'm active, walk daily with my dog and go to the gym 3 times a week but I do have trouble breathing with any upward hills or stairs. Of course it can indicate inflammation and that makes one wonder about the big C!
Roz I didn't have a temperature, they checked that a lot.
Again thanks for the replies. I know all these side effects are due to the radiation but........still here so was it worth it? YES!!!!
love sarah

Aussie Girl
12-31-2013, 07:43 PM
Dear Sarah

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/d-dimer/tab/test/

This website is a great one if you have questions about a lab test.

D Dimer is not a great test for patients who have complex medical problems. There are many things other than thrombosis that can cause it to be elevated so it has to be taken in context.

Aussie Girl

sarah
01-01-2014, 06:29 AM
Hi Aussie,
Thanks for this link. They did do all the other blood tests - they particularly love blood tests here in France and all the other markers were well within normal. I'm now waiting to hear what the Petscan says. I think I may have pleural effusion??? but we'll see.
By the way, Aussie, loved your fireworks, particularly when the bridge turned into a waterfall - always love waterfalls.
London still the tops.
Health and happiness to all in the New Year and a cure!!!
love sarah