PDA

View Full Version : Her2 Vaccines - please share

waterdreamer
11-05-2013, 10:16 PM
I am looking at doing a Her2 vaccine trial. I want to know what vaccine trials anyone has been on, and if they have had success. Please share as much information as possible.

Thanks
Fern (aka waterdreamer)

'lizbeth
11-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Waterdreamer,

When I did a vaccine I was already "in the Pink" . . . stage II breast cancer, just finished treatment, and NED.

It was the GP2 with George Peoples over at San Antonio Med Ctr. There isn't much published about my arm -so I don't know if it was effective for most participants.

SandraGA did the other arm, the AE37. The published articles showed effectiveness with preventing recurrence with the vaccine.

Then Antigen Express decided to switch subtypes and try to get approval for the low expressors of Her2. Galena Biopharma also switched from High expressors to Low with NeuVax (E75).

I am not so sure with using vaccines to combat metastatic cancer. If you are NED perhaps.

What are you thoughts on combining targeted therapies? If your oncologist could add Perjeta to block the Her3 as well?

Or a clinical trial with a new targeted therapy. I've seem many out that are in early phase.

Lauriesh
11-06-2013, 10:09 AM
I did a vaccine trial in Seattle that included stage 4, but you did need to be Ned to get into it.

Laurie

'lizbeth
11-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Oh Lauriesh - I see that you were NED for 2 1/2 years after the trial.

Waterdreamer - I hope the navybeans gets you to NED. Science is changing all the time.

Which vaccine trial are you considering?

Perhaps research has advanced enough to make a more effective vaccine for active MBC.

CarolineC
11-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Fern

Maybe one of these will help you.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/resource-center/metastatic-breast-cancer/vaccines/a/37065

JillaryJill
11-06-2013, 11:40 AM
You can see from my signature I just completed the Mayo trial. I was Stage IIIc. I only had small bumps on my arm at the injection site. No other reaction. Mayo was an amazing facility.

'lizbeth
11-06-2013, 12:38 PM
I have a friend in this trial:

Vaccine Plus Cytoxan® to Treat Stable Metastatic Disease

A Double-blind, Randomized Trial of Active Immunotherapy With Globo H-KLH (OPT-822) in Subjects With Metastatic Breast Cancer (NCT01516307)
Summary

Researchers are looking for ways to use the body's immune system to fight cancer. The immune system identifies and removes unwanted substances from the body by looking for markers called antigens. Globo H is an antigen that is commonly found on the surface of breast cancer cells. OPT-822/OPT-821 is an experimental vaccine that is designed to help stimulate the body's immune system to fight cells that express Globo H. The goal of this study is to determine the effectiveness of OPT-822/OPT-821 when it is given with the standard chemotherapy drug cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan®). To be eligible, participants must have metastatic disease that has stabilized or have had a partial or complete response after at least 1 previous treatment with chemotherapy. Individuals currently receiving hormone therapy or bisphosphonate therapy will be allowed to continue this treatment while on the study. Individuals who currently only have disease in the bone must have previously had metastases elsewhere.
This is a Phase II trial

waterdreamer
11-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Thank you for your replies and interesting link. I can get into the vaccine trial at U of W, if I have bone mets. But I am hoping that Navelbine will knock out anything in the soft tissue, and the bones too. So that I can go up to try the trial. I would just like to learn more about the different vaccines, how they work and which have shown the most promise. I am a her2+++ lady and have had MBC for five years this December. I have two young kids, so I am planning on hanging around until there is a cure and beyond. Thanks again, for all your help.