PDA

View Full Version : Diet or foods to avoid?

Lovemyboys3
09-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Hi All,

I have been reading a lot on new healthier diets as well as food to avoid because they "feed" cancer. As I have always been thin and in fairly good shape I haven't always been the best eater. I am determined to make both myself and my family as healthy as I can.

Is anyone on any specific diet or know of foods that I should avoid? I know there is no magic food or diet that can keep cancer "away" but if I can do something to help my odds I want to do it.

Thank you,
Lovemyboys3

Becky
09-12-2013, 10:46 AM
No magic but cancer is fast growing and a high sugar diet is supposed to be bad but a high sugar diet is bad whether you have cancer or not.

I always tried hard to eat right but during chemo, sometimes things don't sit well. But yogurt, fruit, cooked veggies etc are always wise.

Although we don't eat like we are told by the experts (healthy), it is what we should do for optimum health.

I tried and still try to do the Mediterran diet - lots of fresh veggies, fruit, olive oil etc and less fatty meat and of course fish if you like it.

tricia keegan
09-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Its also said its best to avoid soy although my Onc said you'd need to eat a lot of it to do any harm!

Jackie07
09-12-2013, 06:40 PM
There might have been some discussions in the diet and nutrition board (scroll down in the main Board). You can also do a 'search' with the particular food you have doubts about. I seem to remember tomato being on the list. The American cancer society and most cancer treatment center have brochures/websites available. I'd sent/called/searched for a lot of material before/during my treatment.

Lovemyboys3
09-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Great info. Thank you all. I will definitely search for that previous board and tall with my onc when I see her to get some brochures and additional info.

Lovemyboys3

KDR
09-12-2013, 07:41 PM
I've done very well with diet controlling the disease, which also helps side effects and other symptoms of treatment. My big thing: sugar = cancer. Research this to help you make informed decisions. I avoid all white foods and red meats and most all animal-based products. Oil-rich fish is excellent. One Stonyfield yogurt per day. Flax on all foods. I would recommend watching Food Inc. and Forks Over Knives.
Many juice for optimal health. No perfect combination, but this has worked for me.
Good luck
Karen

BonnieR
09-12-2013, 11:52 PM
I have looked into this issue too My cancer center has dietitians who consult with patients about diet and nutrition. The important thing is to eat healthy, nutritious foods. Not empty calories. Web sites for places like Mayo Clinic and MD Anderson Cancer Center discuss this subject. They both say it is a myth that sugar, or any food, "feeds" cancer. But unhealthy eating can result in weight gain, diabetes and possibly contribute to cancer. But the foods
Specifically don't cause it. Would be nice if it were that simple! I was leery of soy at first because it promotes estrogen. But have since found it is a good component of a healthy diet and my onc encouraged it. Moderation is always a good idea!
Keep the faith!

sarah
09-13-2013, 05:06 AM
milk and dairy products. they are only meant to be consumed by babies and young children. you can read Jane Plant's book or David Servan-Schreiber and others about this. Asian countries called bc the rich woman's disease because they used not to consume dairy as adults and had very low bc rates, of course that's now changing as they adopt our diet. exercise is important but none of this will stop cancer only perhaps help.
good luck and enjoy each day, it's precious. your children should give you great joy although they may have difficulty fully understanding your illness and even though they love you very much, may sometimes be thoughtlessly selfish. You'll get through this.
hugs and love
sarah

BonnieR
09-13-2013, 09:21 AM
One thing I would add about dairy is that it can be very helpful during treatment when appetite is compromised. It was suggested I eat small frequent servings of cheese, yogurt, and such because it is a good way to get protein when one is not very hungry. My onc even said that she gave permission for milkshakes! Anything to maintain weight and calories while on chemo. Then back to real life and moderation!
Keep the faith

tricia keegan
09-13-2013, 03:51 PM
There's a lot of reading in this but it may help too http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24410&highlight=traditional+greek+diet

KDR
09-13-2013, 08:32 PM
http://www.mercola.com/article/sugar/sugar_cancer.htm
When I eat sugar, the great inflammatory, my neuropathy goes out of control. I believe it feeds my cancer cells.