PDA

View Full Version : The Pink-tober Madness begins!

NEDenise
09-12-2013, 05:39 AM
Friends,
Let the mad, Pink-tober message of awareness (rather than a CURE!!) begin!

This was in our very own cancer news feed.

Evidently, this October, Honey-baked Ham will be doing some very clever (and I'm sure well-intentioned) marketing.
Among other things, they will be swapping their trademark gold foil wrappers for Pink-tober ones.
One dollar of the price of each specially wrapped Pink-tober ham will go to the National Breast Cancer Foundation.
Sounds good...right?
I can feel the glow of research... a cure being found.
But, alas... there's always a catch.

The Pink-tober ham money...
all of it... will go toward "awareness and mammograms".
In the article, the chairman of the NBCF is actually quoted as saying,
"The key to surviving breast cancer is early diagnosis."

Really? Based on what evidence!?
Tell that to the Stage 0s and Stage 1s who find themselves fighting for their lives PDQ!
That's who's advocating for us?
I'm not saying mammograms are bad. But come on!

We're AWARE already!! Find a CURE!!
Thanks for letting me get that off my chest -
where my very "aware and regularly examined" breasts used to be!
Sheesh!
Denise

'lizbeth
09-12-2013, 09:10 AM
NEDenise

I feel your pain. Still I didn't get the message of early detection. The pink campaign sends out the wrong message. I think most respond to the give us your money so that you can help others.

Somewhere in the message should be "Hey you, YES, YOU. MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR A MAMMOGRAM!

I saw money pouring in at the Relay for Life. I studied the ACS website trying to find the research the money was going to. it seemed pretty vague. ACS did list the number of studies and the funds going to breast cancer and "other" cancers. But what is being supported in breast cancer research I couldn't determine.

With the Pinks I don't recall seeing any Awareness being promoted just fundraising. Have you seen any ads asking folks to check their boobies? Or do we see ads promoting fundraising? Give or walk, not feel and squish boobies.

StephN
09-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Yes, I am seeing the pink campaign on cereal boxes and foil, just to name a couple. That pink ribbon has gotten SO pervasive that the newspapers will have a full page of "pink" items to look for at the large grocery chains.

SoCalGal
09-12-2013, 10:36 AM
I freakin' HATE the pink, HATE pinktober, HATE the ribbon. It is all consumerism. Try to follow the pink donations, the actual amount donated is dismal!! :-)

BonnieR
09-12-2013, 11:58 PM
And we all know that a nice honey baked ham is real healthy. Nothing lie a big dose of salt, fat and preservatives for the blood pressure and waistline. What hypocrites

alicem
09-13-2013, 12:10 PM
I agree with the October Pink Overload. I think the only time I purchased something through this kind of a campaign was when I really needed some batteries - in October. At the store, I had a choice between pink packaging and non-pink. I chose pink. Perhaps at least 1 penny went to breast cancer, maybe more, who knows. I will not buy into the typical pink marketing buzz unless I would make that purchase anyway.

I am proud to say that one my local Breast Cancer non-profits has come up with a unique way to combat this. They are encouraging everyone to give locally to them, instead of buying pink backpacks, perfume, etc. Here is the link to their campaign, "LOCALLY PINK":

http://www.bcrc.org/events/locally-pink-/

This organization, The Breast Cancer Resource Center, provided me with my own Patient Navigator as I walked my cancer path. They had a library full of resources so I didn't have to break the bank at the local book store. They have support groups for everyone from people like me to caregivers, to young women (Pink Ribbon Cowgirls), and even Stage IV (the IV League). While they are not doing anything towards finding a cure (although they send reps to the SABCS every year to be up on the newest and latest), they are doing things to make a difference in those dealing with the disease right now. I love them!!!!

Perhaps some of you have similar organizations in your community that could adopt a similar program. We need to spread the word to those inclined to "do something" to look to their local community instead of Corporate America.

yanyan
09-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Very annoyed by "breastcancer awareness" posts showing half naked women covering their breasts. Its like asking people not to DUI showing how happy those people are when they are " under influence". How about using models who have had mastectomies in real life? Only do peoople get to see the real ugly side of breast cancer will they know how important early detection is !

Pink is not my color !

BonnieR
09-13-2013, 02:29 PM
I'll add my distaste for groups that put on fund raisers to "save boobs" or "ta tas" and other terms that trivialize the situation

JillaryJill
09-14-2013, 06:21 AM
I was just watching my local news and there is a $32.00 per table fashion show, all of the fashions are pink (gag me). It is a fundraiser for local women that are in treatment to help with costs etc. Although this cause supports the local community and I appreciate the efforts of everyone involved, the "pink thing" just kills me. I am in the marketing business...wouldn't battle fatiques be a better fashion representation of a breast cancer diagnosis? Do we feel all pink and feminine when we are diagnosed...or do we rear up like soldiers and fight for our lives, while we feel insecure about our futures, get body parts severed off, and get nuked with toxic chemicals? Why not break out a collection of leather boots & jackets, wool jackets, khaki pants? The lack of originality is astounding...the pink bandwagon continues.

karen z
09-14-2013, 07:40 AM
AliceM........good idea !

Mtngrl
09-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Somehow this year I am not as worked up as in the past. I'm not sure why. I'm just as fed up with turning a public health problem into a pink popularity contest. (September is ovarian cancer awareness month. Not seeing a whole lot of teal around).

The worst thing about all the triumph and hope is that the 40,000 people a year who die from it in the US get erased. They're an embarrassment. Or they did something "wrong."

But, still, other things are grabbing my attention more firmly. Maybe I've been in this "club" long enough to expand my vision.

My hat's off to those who push for Cure and Prevention. And if I ever have money to donate again, I'll be sure to choose organizations that do that.

Coux92
09-14-2013, 02:35 PM
I had an imeadiate aversion to pink the moment I was diagnosed!

Mtngrl
09-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Let me just say, for the record, that it's not at all clear that "early detection saves lives." If they could really tell which cancers were dangerous and which were not, that might be true. But by shifting the focus from (a) prevention (and I mean efforts to find out what's causing it and eliminate the causes--such as the soup of industrial pollutants that we all soak up every day) and (b) cure to "Let's find out you have it and do our standard 'slash, burn and poison' on everyone and, oh, by the way, we'll make billions of dollars on routine screening" I am not going to advocate everyone getting mammograms every year from age 40 on. Lots of false positives. Lots of false negatives. Lots of money to be made scaring people into thinking they have a higher risk of getting this disease than they really do (and then duping them into thinking early detection = cure.) The fact is, about 30% of people diagnosed and treated at a lower stage progress to Stage IV, and about 10% are Stage IV at diagnosis. Those are not particularly good survival statistics. I do not believe you can consider any breast cancer curable. We need to learn what causes metastasis and how to stop it. Then we can all go "racing for the cure" to make sure everyone gets that--a vaccine or a pill or whatever.

The gold standard in cancer is PREVENTION. Lung cancer rates have plummeted along with rates of smoking. Stomach cancer is almost a thing of the past now that we have refrigeration and antibiotics. Cervical cancer in women and throat cancer in men is now preventable with an HPV vaccine. That's what we need.

We know people--dear, beloved, sorely missed sisters on this board--who were diagnosed and treated at Stage 0 and died anyway. We'll never know how many were diagnosed "early" and went through all the trauma of treatment who would not have died if it had been found later, when they were symptomatic. A short time back an "accidental" pairing of matched populations in Europe showed NO difference in overall survival between starting routine screening early and starting it later. OTOH, it might make all the difference for an individual. At this time, there is no way to tell.

I have a friend who found her own enlarged axillary lymph node ONE MONTH after a "clear" mammogram. I have another friend who has a similar story. They are both Stage IV. I was maybe a little behind in my mammo schedule (due to insurance/budget concerns) but not all that far behind, and my tumor would have been Stage II if not for those pesky mets they found at diagnosis. So spare me the "early detection saves lives" mantra. You can't prove it.

PinkGirl
09-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Remember ... you can always trust a pink troll ... it's
obvious from my eyes ...

NEDenise
09-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Pink
Though you are of course exceptionally wonderful... I have found trolls of all sorts to be a generally pleasant lot. :)

And, for the record... I like pink. I look good in it.
I just want the lion's share of the pink-generated money to go toward curing us!
Denise

Pray
09-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Here here Denise! I know mammagrams find a lot of breast cancers early but... I could have 100 and it still would of missed mine. The cure is the only way we end this thing!

KsGal
09-15-2013, 07:45 PM
I agree...a cure is the only way, and the money needs to go towards research for a cure. So frustrating.
The day my breast cancer was diagnosed, the doctor said "You caught it early, and I know its upsetting news to hear, but you are going to be just fine." Huh.
I didn't even know there were different types of breast cancer until I was diagnosed. I had never even heard of HER2 or triple negative.
People need to know these things. They need to know its not always an easy cure like we see these celebrities going on about...I mean really, are they implying that I am stage IV because I didn't get mammograms? lol Well, I did.
If everyone does not know by now to do self breast exams and get their mammograms, they must live under a rock...

CarolineC
09-15-2013, 10:39 PM
How about this commercial for Pink Lemonade energy drink. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na-RNv2v5io

It's unbelievable how this stuff has not been regulated or taken off the market. It's like telling a smoker to buy cigarettes. I think these drinks are adding to the problem of stimulating our already exhausted adrenals.

Denise, I too like pink, but I absolutely cringe when I see the pink bombardment. It was especially hard in Oct of 2011 when I was diagnosed with the sternal metastasis and was VERY aware that I had breast cancer, to go into the stores without feeling like I wanted to cry. Not enough funds are going into research for metastatic breast cancer and too many people are making money off our hardships.

KaiM
09-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Well, this is my third pink-tober with metastatic breast cancer (I was one of the 10% that is stage IV from the get go). I have to admit I was much more worked up about it last year. While I agree that most of the marketing is misleading and the monies that ARE allocated toward BC are not spent on the most effective channels (hello...CURE) I don't have the anger this year that I did last year. Early detection and mammograms wouldn't have helped me. (I had several breast exams during my pregnancy and was too young to have regular mammograms and yet I had stage IV cancer just three months after I gave birth.) Yet, if a consumer wants to buy a pack of pink toilet paper, and $.50 of that is going to go toward BC programs, well, that's $.50 we didn't have to begin with. Yes, I agree the imagery is appalling, but I feel that imagery is also one of the reasons BC gets so much attention. (I dont think pictures of my mastectomy would sell well) And my hope is that all this attention will continue to keep BC in the forefront of peoples mind and that may push research for new and better drugs and one day a cure. Maybe this is a far stretch, but I need to believe.

I know this is probably not a popular view here, and being a metster myself I totally get the disgust, but I'm just trying to look at things a bit differently this year. Trying to see the silver lining, trying really hard. ;)

'lizbeth
09-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Giant bra draws curious looks; artist hopes ArtPrize entry also raises breast cancer awareness

Catherine Smith-Brzeczkiewicz of Mt. Morris stands in front of her ArtPrize entry titled "Embracing Strength and Grace," on Monday, September 16, 2013, in front of the American Cancer Society Hope Lodge on Jefferson Avenue SE. Smith-Brzeczkiewicz designed the 24 ft. wide by 11 ft. bra to raise awareness for breast cancer and as a tribute to her mom, who passed away in 2012. (Emily Zoladz | MLive.com)
Emily Zoladz | ezoladz@mlive.com (http://connect.mlive.com/staff/ezoladz/photos.html)

GRAND RAPIDS, MI - Catherine Smith-Brzeczkiewicz drew a lot of stares and double-takes Monday, Sept. 15, as she installed her ArtPrize entry – a giant pink-and-white, polka-dot bra.
Smith-Brzeczkiewicz, a drapery maker from Mt. Morris, created the bra in honor of her mother’s battle with breast cancer. The 24-by-11-foot fabric sculpture is displayed on the north side of the American Cancer Society’s Hope Lodge, 129 Jefferson Ave. SE, in Grand Rapids.
“I’ve never done anything this huge before,” Smith-Brzeczkiewicz said. “It’s amazing. It has a whole lot of meaning for me.”
Her entry, titled Embracing with Strength & Grace, will remain on display throughout ArtPrize, which runs Sept. 18 to Oct. 6. The public is invited to a reception for the artist at Hope Lodge from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19.
Smith-Brzeczkiewicz, a native of Saginaw, has made custom window treatments for 35 years through her business, Catherine’s Custom Drapes, in Mt. Morris, near Flint. Her mother survived 34 years after she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She died in February 2012 after the cancer spread to her brain.
“She was very patient and graceful and always had a positive outlook on life,” Smith Brzeczkiewicz said. “Cancer was not stopping her from living life to its fullest.”
Smith-Brzeczkiewicz also is a breast cancer survivor. She was diagnosed five years ago.
“The bra is a representation of what it means to make it through cancer,” she said. “It is big, shocking, overwhelming and its beauty represents the person facing it head on.”
She was encouraged to build the bra sculpture by her 34-year-old twin daughters, Casie and Kelly, who live in Grand Rapids. They are active in Bras Across the Grand, a cancer society event in October that raises awareness about breast cancer.
Although she had never made a giant fabric sculpture before, Smith-Brzeczkiewicz decided to give it a try. Like her daughters, she wants to raise awareness about breast cancer and generate funds for research.
“I’m so proud of my daughters and all the hard work they do,” she said.
The title of the piece is inspired by the way her mother faced her illness.
“She embraced cancer with strength, and she did it gracefully,” Smith-Brzeczkiewicz said.
After ArtPrize, the giant bra will be donated to the cancer society. It will be displayed at Bras Across the Grand on Oct. 19 at the Gillett Pedestrian Bridge near Ah-Nab-Awen Park in Grand Rapids.
On Oct. 26, it will be at Making Strides Against Breast Cancer of Flint.
Sue Thoms covers health care for MLive/The Grand Rapids Press. Email her at sthoms1@mlive.com or follow her on Twitter (https://twitter.com/SueThoms), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Sue.Thoms.workpage)or Google (https://plus.google.com/u/0/111210494016108185758/posts)+.

http://ads.mlive.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_lx.ads/www.mlive.com/artprize/2013/09/giant_bra_draws_looks_artist_hopes_artprize_entry_ also_raises_breast_cancer_awareness.html/L22/625016345/BannerShared/MICHIGANLIVE/Microsoft_MI_RoS_BannerShared/1984984984949849.html/59707374356c4935312b7741446b4a69?_RM_EMPTY_&

'lizbeth
09-18-2013, 11:46 AM
http://imgick.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/pgmain/img/grandrapidspress/photo/2013/09/-41a74c1b10da412c.JPG

'lizbeth
09-21-2013, 09:00 AM
http://breastcancerbydrruddy.com/?p=4810#!

and . . . because the Pink seems to work, a "Pink" vaccine . . .

that just truly offends me. Could they not find a more serious, descriptive name? I'm getting on board with the strong dislike of the exploitative way of using "Pink" for raising money. Grrrr . . .

NEDenise
09-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Okay... the "Pink Vaccine" is a stupid name... I agree 100%
BUT...

I would LOVE to see this vaccine fast-tracked through the FDA process!
And, before we lose more of our HER2 sisters. :)

Thanks for posting this!
Denise

'lizbeth
09-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Denise,

The Phase I trial won't even finish for 5 years, and I would expect decades to pass before a Phase III will show effectiveness in preventing breast cancer with the "Pink" vaccine.

So this grates on me that Phase I won't even start for 2 years - it seems like a lot of hype.

You can't fast-track a vaccine that isn't in a clinical trial, lol!

I agree with you on not losing more of our Her2 sisters. But this vaccine isn't in a position to help them.

I think this October, we cancer survivors can help spread the word about early detection more than the "Pinks". We should all use social media to get the word out about breast self exams and mammograms in a tactful way.

How can we help the stage IVs? That is the important question. Kadcyla & Perjeta isn't available to all yet. What can be done - do we need to help put the word out to gain full enrollment in the trials that would gain full approval, is this what needs to be done?

roz123
09-21-2013, 10:14 AM
I agree that pink makes me nauseous -I couldn't even look at the color when I was first diagnosed, I was in chemo during the pinktober of 2011

I also very skeptical on how much money was actually raised for research into a CURE not AWARENESS.

I have soften a bit on this front after reading about a new drug going into clinical trials here in Toronto CFI-400945 is a targeted treatment showing promise in breast and ovarian cancers among many other cancers. As all of us her2 gals know, targeted therapies like Herceptin are the wave of the future. This drug was developed by Dr Tak Mak here in Toronto in collaboration with our HERO dr. Denis Slamon. The interesting thing? much of the funds used for this research were funds raised in in a walk done here called "the weekend to end womens cancers". I am doing this one next year specifically because of this research,
here is an article on this new drug:http://www.uhn.ca/corporate/ForMedia/PressReleases/Pages/cancer_breakthrough.aspx

as for screening - I do believe it is still important. Yes it does not work for all, (it didn't work for me). Unfortunately until they know why we get bc and therefore work on prevention it is the only tool we have. Yes catching it early does not mean a cure - we all know that. However it does give you a better shot at a cure (or remission if that's the term you want to use) This may not be true for us girls with more aggressive cancers but for the standard hormone positive, her2 neg tumors if you can detect them very early the chance that you will never see that cancer again are good

Jean
09-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Wow what a hot topic for us.
1. Yes Yes we need a cure.
2. Early detection for some of us is vital. Please remember we each have our own breast cancer.
Mine was horrifically aggressive - I did catch it early stage 1.
3. We have to be super careful who and what we support.
4. Get the world out of good foundations who are researching a cure for us.
5. Easy to find out just call Dr. Salmons office and ask.
6. If each of us saved our change each day and gave it to a worthy cure based center we could provide lots of money support. That change adds up big time.

We all want a cure and we want it yesterday.
I too am fed up with pink and the marketing.
Breast Cancer is not pink and it's not pretty.

Bless all,
jean

Saygoon
09-27-2013, 08:46 PM
The "Pink Thing" can be fun. I'm all for grabbing all the smiles and laughter I can. I even dye my hair pink and wear a cape but if I can bring a smile to someone newly diagnosed that helps me heal. But lets be realistic. Most of the awareness and fundraising is done by people who think they are truly helping find a cure. They don't stop to research how very little and I mean very little of their money goes to actual research and/or BC patients. I would love to see more money not just in research for a cure but to women who really need help. Help paying their bills feeding their children, everyday expenses that bring on sooo much stress. Sure there's alot of so called free stuff out there such as conferences etc. but what average woman can afford to travel to all that stuff? I agree - we ARE aware - find a cure!!!!! Companies need to quit making money off our pain! Ok Im done ranting now, thanks for listening.

StephN
09-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Ditto on the rants.

I just hate to see the "colors" ascribed to different cancers and such. But marketers could care less the reality of these diseases. They are looking for a cohesive way to bind people to specific causes.

October is not even here and I am seeing the products on the shelves. I just walkon by even if it is something I may normally consider buying. How is that for "reverse marketing?"

LeahM
09-28-2013, 06:39 AM
Ahhh....Pink-tober....you can't avoid it...and yes, we are all aware...but that is because we have no choice. Others are so unaware its painful to watch.

So I am looking at the word awareness in a whole new light this year.

And I personally and raising funds during this most bright and cheerful (pink is bright and cheerful, yes?) month that stays 100% right here in my community. The money raised isn't going towards finding the cure but it is going to people in need as they go thru cancer treatments.

I will not buy pink chapstick, or yogurt.

I made sure before I got involved with the ACS Making Strides Lehigh Valley that the money raised stays local (well, 80% of it does) and is given to local hospitals cancer centers.

I feel I need to do my part, yet what I can do is never enough. Meanwhile, I will wear pink...it looks good on me.

NEDenise
09-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Geez!
Even our beloved Coobie Bra company is in on the madness this year!
Of course you're all right... it's done thru ignorance not malice, or disdain for a cure.
But still, so frustrating!
Denise

caya
09-28-2013, 08:21 AM
I have to agree with KaiM here - and again, it may not be a popular view, but IMHO, any $$ BC research/support etc. gets from Pinktobter is more $ than we had yesterday.

I realize that more % of the money raised should be going into the cause, and hopefully in the future it will. But I have to tell you that I will specifically buy the Kleenex box and toilet paper with the "Pink" because if even one penny (oh, we don't have pennies anymore in Canada, so I'll say one nickel!) goes to toward BC research to find a cure, that might be the nickel that finds it!

Every October in Canada there is the CIBC Run for the Cure - CIBC stands for Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce - one of the 5 large Canadian Banks - my daughters, neighbours and friends and I have "walked" that 5km. every year since I've been diagnosed - this will be our 7th year. We have raised over $15,000 for the cause. Every year the total raised across Canada has been in the $25 million range. The money goes directly to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, a non-profit organization that has funded many trials etc. across Canada. Lots of "Pink" sponsors, and on Run day, lots of booths set up with corporate sponsors with "Pink" products that they give out and also sell. And I buy some every year - I have pink mittens, caps, shot glasses etc. Because that $1 that goes to research, it might be THE $.

Yes, I know BC is not "Pink" - but Pink has been the universal colour symbol for girls/women for years, so if that's the colour that represents BC - well, it is what it is. In my case, pink has always been my favourite colour - probably foreshadowing.

all the best
caya

'lizbeth
09-28-2013, 09:03 AM
Not All Pink Ribbon Bling Raises Dough For Breast Cancer

By Pam Stephan (http://breastcancer.about.com/bio/Pam-Stephan-18869.htm), About.com Guide

In mid-September I am walking through the grocery story and come upon several displays of pink ribbon (http://breastcancer.about.com/od/supportineveryway/a/pink-ribbon-history.htm) merchandise. "It's the start of PinkTober!" I tell myself. Every month, it seems, has a selling season, which actually begins the month immediately before the actual month - well, you know. Halloween items start appearing in August and in September, turkey and pilgrim decorations for Thanksgiving are stocked right next to school supplies. It's all about getting you to part with your money.
Here's a rule I think we should follow: Think First, Pink Later. I'm sure you've seen items lavished with pink ribbons all around you during Breast Cancer Awareness Month (http://breastcancer.about.com/od/whatisbreastcancer/tp/bcam-hub.htm). Some items truly do generate a donation from their sales to charities that benefit patients (http://breastcancer.about.com/lw/Health-Medicine/Womens-Health/Breast-Cancer-and-Pink-Ribbon-Breast-Cancer-and-Pink-Ribbon-Donations.htm). But many of these products are just taking advantage of the pink marketing blitz, getting to the consumer under the guise of benevolence, when in fact no donations will be made.
Now please understand me: I like cats, but I won't buy kitty litter just because it has a pink ribbon on the bag. I always read over the packaging and search for a statement that promises a donation to a named breast cancer charity (http://breastcancer.about.com/od/supportineveryway/tp/pink_ribbon_charities.htm). If there is no promise of funding for research, support, advocacy, treatments, or screening, then I keep shopping around. I like jewelry, and if it is pink I might take it home, but if the tag makes no mention of a percentage of the profits going to The Cause, then I know its just Pink Hype.
Read the labels. You're going to see pink shoes, socks, skillets, sippy cups, lip gloss, nail lacquer, lunch bags, potato chips, and all sorts of poppycock that you might not normally buy - but are tempted by during October. Don't get in a rush to make a purchase. Turn over the tags, scan the sacks, and read the packaging. Not every pink ribbon gewgaw will raise money for The Cure. Save your green for the real Pink. Better yet, write your favorite charity a check.

I like this article. I'm happy that we still have members with a sense of humor. I think I've lost mine about the pink, and would like to see more progress in directing research money to be effective, not just mindless giving. Perhaps I am just too serious at times.

Previously someone had posted the charities that where the largest portion of your donation went to research. I like that idea.

'lizbeth
09-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Ah ha!

Charity Navigator gives information on the charity. I see American Cancer Society is only 2 stars, :(

Here is a list of some of their best rated breast cancer charities:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?keyword_list=breast+cancer&Submit2=GO&bay=search.results&sortby=rtg

For a quick list the ones with a 4 star rating are:

1) Living Beyond Breast Cancer
2) Breast Cancer Connections
3) Sharsheret
4) National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc.
5) Breast Cancer Research Foundation
6) Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
7) Young Survivor Coalition
8) BreastCancer.org
9) Susan G. Komen for the Cure
10) Lynn Sage Cancer Research Foundation
11) The Rose

'lizbeth
09-28-2013, 09:26 AM
This is a nice article, and Robbie's statement shows us there are some unscrupulous folks out there scamming the Pink.

Robbie Finke Franklin: "Just because a company states that they are giving to a charity doesn’t mean they do so. Check the charities web site to determine if the company is a partner and be careful not to buy products that state or imply that a charity will benefit from a consumer sale or transaction rather than clearly disclose how the charity benefits from the sale of products or services."

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1434#.Ukb83z_3OJY

'lizbeth
09-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Another interesting article on breast cancer charities:
Charities Working to Prevent and Cure Breast Cancer

Although breast cancer receives the most attention during Breast Cancer Awareness month each October, charities work all year long to raise funds for the prevention, treatment, and cure of this devastating disease. All throughout the year people have the opportunity to participate in various walks, runs, and other special events raising money to fight breast cancer. The pink ribbon has become the symbol for awareness of the disease and can be found adorning everything from soda cans to sneakers. But how many of us stop to examine those pink ribbon charities soliciting our support?

At Charity Navigator we've done the work for you. We've reviewed the financial health of over two dozen of the largest charities working to fight and prevent breast cancer in America. Although these charities have been very successful at generating support, together raising nearly $1.7 billion annually in contributions, the disparity in their financial health is enormous.

The good news is that several of these charities efficiently utilize donations to pursue their mission of curing and preventing breast cancer. However, others will astound donors with their inefficient operations and low marks for Accountability & Transparency. For example, one charity spends less than 2% of its budget on fundraising expenses, while another spends nearly 98%! Many of these charities spend at least 80% of their budgets on programs and services, while four spend less than 50%. And while more than half of them earn high ratings for their commitment to Accountability & Transparency, three of them earn 0-stars and two earn just 1-star in this area.

Click on the links to the right to learn more about the breast cancer charities soliciting your support.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=497#.Ukb-MD_3OJY

Enough from 'lizbeth - who is just asking you to Pink Responsibly!

StephN
09-28-2013, 03:42 PM
My hubby brought home Eggland's Best with the Susan G. Komen logo stamped on each egg in the carton! The donation info inside says that Eggland's Best will donate $50,000 to Komen in 2013.

Why do people and companies think that is the best use for the money they will donate??? Komen must have a good corporate "pitch person."

jaykay
09-28-2013, 04:40 PM
And the pink madness is worldwide! I'm currently in Singapore on business, was walking around yesterday and there was a 5k run sponsored by Sketchers (shoes). I was surrounded by pink as the event broke up - yikes!

NEDenise
09-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Okay... I agree with Caya, every penny is one more than we had before. And the CIBC 5K sounds like it's doing it right.

I don't object to pink... I just want the lion's share of the money raised to go to researching and FINDING A CURE!! Enough with the awareness message! I dare you to find one person in the US, Canada, the UK, or Australia who has not personally known someone affected by breast cancer. We're aware!

And a lot of those pink products claim to fund mammograms for the uninsured. Great idea! But...There are no uninsured in Canada, the UK or Australia, am I wrong? And, I'll be anxious to see, once the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) goes into effect here in the US, and EVERY woman gets her mammogram for free... what will these charities start spending the money on?
I wonder if the money will then, finally go to researching a cure... or will it go into more publicity? Or, God forbid... dry up completely!

Like Caya pointed out, any $ is better than no $... but a cure would be BEST!
Just my humble opinion... but a stongly held one if you couldn't tell.
Seeing all that pink, and all the hype about awareness when my friends (and I) are dying slowly, without a cure in sight makes me angry... and sad, very very sad.

Denise
~Who still wears pink and appreciates when people wear pink bracelets

jacqueline1102
09-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Standup2Cancer is an excellent organization where 100% of the monies go to research for all kinds of cancer. Noreen Fraser who had worked for Entertainment Tonight was diagnosed with Metastic Breast Cancer 10 years ago. Please check out the site. Her blog is powerful and poignant.

caya
09-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks Denise, glad you agree with me. I know the pinktober stuff can become nauseating, but as I said, every dollar is another dollar we didn't have.

And BTW, I don't buy "pink" items that I don't need - I don't have a pet, so I don't buy pet food.

And yes Denise, in Canada, as far as I know, every Canadian citizen, has health insurance. No charge for the mammogram, the mastectomy, the IV chemo, the rads, the Herceptin.

all the best
caya

'lizbeth
09-29-2013, 07:06 PM
I was looking at the charities and some CEO make $650,000 when another makes $113,000. Some have huge amounts that go into fundraising - my local Relay for Life paid over 10% of donations, about $25,000.

Some of the Pink products is a scam, some limit the contribution to the first 500 sold, etc.

I used to like pink, but now I roll my eyes at the fuss.

As a former accounting manager - I want us all to get the most bang for our donation. I'm asking how much really goes to research? More importantly I've been nosing around looking to see: What is the research being supported?

If anyone has seen a listing of the different research supported by the breast cancer charities, I would like to see it.

NEDenise, I had posted a link to a government program in the US that showed how women can get free mammograms. So if you know of anyone who is procrastinating because of cost, I can look for that agency again.

This is why I feel the Pinks are failing in their message. Where are the tv or internet ads that say You Need a Mammogram, and here is how to get one. Nope, I only see the fundraising ads.

With many of you stage IV survivors going from treatment to treatment, I'd like to see more bang for the buck with cancer donations. Was it Revlon that funded Herceptin on behalf of Slamon? Now that was a good return on investment.

We are all in agreement. A cure needs to be found.

I'll let you all enjoy the pink - I'm sticking to blue!

'lizbeth
09-30-2013, 07:23 AM
On CharityWatch the top cancer charities are"

A- Breast Cancer Fund
A+ Breast Cancer Research Foundation
A Cancer Care
A Cancer Research Institute
A- CureSearch
A Entertainment Industry Foundation/Standup to Cancer
B+ Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
A- Livestrong
A Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
A+ Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation
A National Breast Cancer Coalition Fund
B+ Prevent Cancer Foundation
A- Prostate Cancer Foundation

I was looking at the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. They are very good at posting research they support. AND . . . they have a list of their Shop Pink partners. So you can go online and see which companies are supporting research. They say the pink has raised over $450 million since 1993. Holy Cow that is a lot of money!

http://www.bcrfcure.org/part_pinkprod.html

If you go to the Research in Action tab and scroll down - there is a significant amount of information about research supported, including the support of Herceptin.

http://www.bcrfcure.org/action_accomplishments.html

Thanks to BCRF the color pink is starting to grow on me . . .

'lizbeth
09-30-2013, 02:08 PM
http://charitywatch.org/hottopics/Top25.html

and if you are curious like me . . . how much are folks being compensated to run these charities?

NEDenise
09-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Hey!
Coincidentally, while I was out shopping today, I saw a pink product that said the money raised went "toward finding a cure".
And, the money was slated for none other than the Breast Cancer Research Foundation!!

I also found pink ribbon car magnets boldly emblazoned with "Find the CURE".
I got mine at a store, but when I asked the manager if they had any more he admitted they came from Oriental Trading Company...
so I'm going online to order at least a dozen!!
That way, when mine fades, I'll have a new one waiting in the wings!
I think I might even get a few to hand out at my treatment center!

:) Denise

LeahM
09-30-2013, 02:51 PM
'lizbeth I have been on that website all freaking day!! Thank you for all this great info. I am shocked at the ACS grade, I expected more from them. I know last year our local ACS making strides events gave $25,000 to both my hospital and Hershey Med. for mammogram funding..thats $50,000 total...but I don't know how much they raised. I was told 80% stayed local (which makes me happy) but I wonder where the other 20% went.

LeahM
09-30-2013, 04:49 PM
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was looking at the word "aware" in a whole new way these days...this is something I wrote recently that pretty much sums up my recent thought process.

So, are you aware yet? Perhaps you are one of those people who think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Well guess what folks? I live on the other side of the fence and I have got to say, my grass is not all that green. And there are weeds, lots of weeds, weeds that cut open the bottom of my feet!
So…here is something to be aware of as we enter Pink-tober; Pink-tober is all about celebrating women like me. “Survivors”, although, I prefer the term “Warrior Princess Extraordinaire” (sounds better, doesn’t it?) Yep, women like me who have beaten the odds…although, not really as the odds were in my favor. Yeah, I’m a freaking warrior princess extraordinaire….whatever….
Open your eyes!! Look around! See that lady over there that can’t seem to make up her mind between 2% and fat free milk? See that guy who just ran a red light? That person just got a Stage 4 diagnosis. Maybe they were diagnosed at Stage 4 from the get-go, or maybe, just maybe, their Stage 2 morphed to Stage 4 even tho they did everything they were suppose to do to become a “survivor”. Be aware folks that there isn’t a Stage 5.
All of us “survivors”? We are not “survivors”, we are merely still alive. And when something other than cancer kills us…well, then (and only then) can you call us “survivors”.
When you walk in cancerland you make cancer friends. And some of those friends are Stage 4. So when someone tells me how brave I am, how strong I am; all I can think is you should meet my friend “Wanda”. Wanda was Stage 4 from diagnosis. Wanda is strong. And tough. And brave. And full of life and love.
Write a story about Wanda and her struggles. Interview Wanda. MAKE PEOPLE AWARE THAT CANCER IS DEADLY!! Over 500,000 people died of cancer in 2012, are you aware of that? But Wanda isn’t a pretty picture (actually Wanda is beautiful)…Wanda has Stage 4 cancer and who wants to think about that? When newly diagnosed with cancer all you want to hear about is the success stories; you don’t want to know the horror stories, you don’t want to be aware, truly aware, of what could be your fate.
So then you are UNAWARE, which is worse than being aware.
You can’t control how you die; you can only control how you live. More people should be like my dear friend Wanda. AWARE that life is precious. AWARE that love is meant to be given to everyone, everyday. AWARE that you only get one chance at being alive so you must truly be the best that you can be.
And most importantly (in my opinion) you must be AWARE that you are not alone.

'lizbeth
09-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Leah,

You have a wonderful way with words. I think we all are less than happy about the options for our stage IV friends. Cancer treatment sucks. I raised over $1500 this year for ACS. Next year, I will still support them, but . . . show me results. I'm tired of making wonderful friends just to have them kick the bucket - and because of cancer? Seriously, have we not spent enough? Totally not fair.

NEDenise, don't you dare kick the bucket! Live a long time, and buy lots of pink schuft!

I'm disappointed with ACS. We've got to hold these folks accountable. We're dying over here - get serious about supporting cancer research, hello!

NEDenise
10-01-2013, 05:29 AM
1. Leah, that was terrific! Well said, my friend!
2. 'lizbeth - I truly have no intention of dying anytime soon... but I'm aware that it's not up to me :( very aware.

Keep up the good work!
Denise

janieR
10-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Here in England I shall be glad when October is over with the madness that goes on over here during this month with the "pink month". Having said that I think I am very lucky to still be here to have a rant about it! Very, very glad!!

'lizbeth
10-02-2013, 12:36 PM
I just got a breast cancer awareness "cartoon" with Maxine and pumpkins. Somehow that is easier to handle in October than Pinkness.

NEDenise - the NED says it all!

I was freaking out over something Larry Norton said about new researchers should go into neuroscience instead of oncology research because Cancer is about to be cured. Oh, Really? Somehow my idea of a cure is very different. No surgery, no radiation, no chemo, and absolutely NO CANCER! Seriously.

NEDenise
10-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Oh Hunny!
I'd do surgery, chemo and radiation all AGAIN if at the end I could be cured!
I'd gladly be permanently bald, give up chocolate, and live only on supplements...
if it would mean no more cancer!

Sadly, my balance is waaaay off over the last few days. :(
And my hand doesn't just shake a little... now I'm dropping things too.
More swelling?
New lesions?
Something else?

Pushing the dex back up to 5 mg/day... I can feel my face re-inflating.
My life/health seems like a very scary high-wire act lately.

But, I'm wearing my pink shirt today! (not for awareness...
but rather because it makes me look and feel cheerful!)
My car is adorned with my 'Find a Cure" pink ribbon.
And... of course... God and I have had a nice heart to heart chat...
so things could be a lot worse... right!? :)

Denise
~who is very "aware" that cancer sucks and she can't do a thing to change that
ps- can you post the Maxine cartoon, 'lizbeth? :)

'lizbeth
10-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Ah rats NEDenise . . . this is so totally unfair. You are by far the funniest stage IV cancer survivor I had ever met.

Here is Maxine:

NEDenise
10-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Ha Ha Ha Ha!
Thanks for the giggle!

I figure I get to choose whether I laugh or cry...
and laughing is waaaaay more fun! (for me, and for the people around me!)
And I know... cancer HATES laughter!
Denise

StephN
10-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Hey 'lizbeth -
I like some of those products on the Breast Cancer Research foundation website that are making contributions to that organization.

Some of the companies are donating a fixed amount in the thousands, and others are donating some amount per purchase.

Some items or services are not available here in the misty woods, but others are, and I will buy accordingly!

Saygoon
10-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Lizabeth mentions Sharsheret in the charity list. They really are amazing. I had gotten their number from a friend. A few seconds into the conversation I felt the need to apologize, I was unaware that their main target is Jewish women. The lady I was speaking with said that's ok doesn't matter ( I am Native American) so we shared some great jokes. They have sent me all sorts of wonderful things and their website is a wealth of information. It has been a year now and they still keep up with me.

Saygoon
10-02-2013, 11:17 PM
NEDenise - keeping laughing, keep smiling but don't forget you're only human. Sometimes a tear has to fall. When I get really scared I talk to my dogs, they make more sense than most people I know! Oh and I wear my pink cape around town just so people will think Im crazy - thats always good for a laugh.

norkdo
10-04-2013, 10:09 PM
jillaryjill: lmao!!!!

'lizbeth
10-22-2013, 04:24 PM
So, I was training today at JCPenney's for the holiday season and discovered that the October charity in the Round-up program is the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

Nice to know the money is going to help all of us!

ShebaFunds
10-31-2013, 05:38 AM
Don’t be afraid of fighting it. You’ll maximize your chances for victory over the cancer if you go into it with a fighting attitude. Cancer Funds (http://www.CancerFunds.org)

ShebaFunds
11-16-2013, 06:38 AM
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Wear Pink - Support Breast Cancer Awareness. Give Free Hospital Mammorgrams To Women In Need For Breast Cancer Screening & Treatments! Cancer Funds (http://cancerfunds.org) http://CancerFunds.org