PDA

View Full Version : Hello, crazy test results?

Pray
06-27-2013, 12:52 AM
My cancer did not show on mammograms in 09 that said I have a mam. and six months later I have an mri. This has been going on since I was dx. Well six months ago I have a mammogram and they see a spot on right breast not the tram side, and do a lot of views the next day and say they are sure its not cancer but not sure what it could be wait for mri in 6 months. Then 3 weeks ago I have an mri and right side looks fine and its the tram side that has a large spot their not sure of and for me to have a mammogram on the tram side (unbelivablely painful!). they don't think it looks like cancer but there is definately something there and the nurse showed me the pics. (I asked why would they want to do a mam. on that side when my cancer doesn't show up on a mam.? they said it might give them a different view.) Now we are going to do an mri and mam. in 6 months. My first instinct is to think its going to be nothing. I just wanted my thoughts to be heard. Once again I feel like I'm more worried about all the tests they keep having me take than actually getting a recurrance. Has anyone ever heard of anyone who has been sick because of all the tests they've been given? I know its a worry to the drs. also. (Still have a hoarse, dry throat. Not a big deal to deal with just more of a bother.) Thanks for listening. Your friend, Nancy

NEDenise
06-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Nancy,
First, let me say that I don't think it's anything to worry about.

But, that's easy for me to say. You and I both know you're going to worry anyway! :)

So, if I were you, I'd get a second opinion from a different oncologist.
That will put your mind at ease far more than me saying things are probably fine.

I would ABSOLUTELY decline any further mammograms on your reconstructed breast. Not only does it sound incredibly painful...it seems foolish and has the potential to ruin the results you went through several surgeries to get!! You went through waaay to much to get breasts that match for anyone to risk messing them up!

I'm sure your current onc and his/her nurse are fine professionals. But... they clearly don't know you... and how much you worry! :) You need better answers than... let's wait and see in 6 months. My God! In 6 months the stress of waiting will have you sick, even if cancer doesn't do it!!

Logically, you shouldn't even have to have the scans repeated...just get copies for the second opinion doc to look at. Seems like a win/win to me.

Just my humble opinion... but given because I care about you VERY much!
PM me if you want even more unsolicited advice! :)
Sending love and prayers your way...
Denise

tricia keegan
06-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Nancy I'd agree with Denise and wouldn't wait six months although I'm sure its nothing sinister but why should you be left with that stress!!! get another opinion or insist on further investigation and answers now!

chekmark
06-27-2013, 04:58 PM
My personal opinion is that if they had even an inkling that it was serious they would not make u wait 6 months,,they are playing the better be safe than sorry game and want to reassure themselves that everything is the same in 6 months. When they found mine (didn't show up on mammo, only ultrasound)it was go immediately and get it checked. I had a lump several years prior to my breast cancer dx on the other side and they followed up with it every 6 months for about 1.5 yrs. I am a worrier also so I get it but take some deep breathes. Good luck.

KDR
06-27-2013, 05:32 PM
I think an MRI is a good choice. But NOW, don't wait. You'll have information and answers and that definite clarity you need...

Best,
Karen

Becky
06-28-2013, 03:27 PM
But I wouldn't wait on the outside chance it is something. Can they ultrasound the reconstructed side and get a view that way?

Jackie07
06-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Ditto Becky's reply. I'd had painful mammograms - for 4 years straight before I asked the original surgeon to check it out and found the recurrence on the new mammo (which others had previously dismissed as scar tissue) and confirmed with an ultrasound.

MaineRottweilers
06-30-2013, 03:19 AM
I wouldn't wait, just for my own sanity. I'd request an immediate MRI. Good luck, I'm sure it's nothing but at least you will sleep nightly knowing that.

Pray
06-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice! I didn't feel the need to mention that when I posted this I had only been out of the hospital for 10 days. I had some vericose veins that the blood flow was backwards in removed. a simple procedure done out patient everyday. That night I got a 102 fever and 2 days later I was so weak I could barely lift my arms. At the hospital they couldn't find a clot and I still had the fever, I was getting weaker and not eating. My onc. team reviewed everything and said what was happening only happens to 1 in a million, My body went in to inflamation shock. They gave me IV antibiotics, blood thinners and I forgot what the other IV was. Was only able to eat sherbet the whole time I was there. (5 nights I said I wanted to go home that day so I did) I'm not much stronger yet and they said it could take a long time? Long story short because of this and the test issues I talked to you about I have gathered all my test results and am waiting on a call to move up an appt. with an onc. at another hospital. I'm still not to worried, things just haven't added up lately. I leave on vacation this coming weekend and wont be back for 2 weeks. I'll check in then. Thanks again to each of you. Gods blessings to all. Your friend. Nancy

StephN
07-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Dear Nancy -
Well, we already KNEW you are "one in a million" so you did not need to go to such lengths to prove it to everyone else ...

Strong prayers in your direction that you can recover from that latest bout and gather some strength so you can enjoy your vacation.

I hope at least the weather will cooperate!

Pray
08-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Hi Everyone!

Well I had my second opinion and it was a disaster! They sent me to the wrong Dr office in the building! He talked to me for half an hour be fore it dawns on me that his recomendations are for end stage research drugs in the phase one trial. I said wait a minute I'm not dieing! You've got the wrong girl! So in the end he sent my mris, pets, mamm. ultra sounds to several drs to give their advice. Everyone agreed to do an mri and mam. at the same time (nov. I think) As I was leaving he told me how sorry the mistake had been made and said (get this) if you ever do recurr I'm your man!

I'm getting much stronger from my last hospitol stay. I had lost 10 pounds and have not gained it back. Every now and then we get a little bonus?

As for my white cells still low and after the new year we may consider doing another bone marrow biopsey.(So painfull I pray it never comes to that again).

You may recall I mentioned my Dad's lung cancer is now in his bones and he tried another chemo alimta and it made him very weak and ill. he is done with treatments now and is in a rehab center and will be moved to a nursing home soon. He has dimentia and the chemo made it worse. He really is handeling it well though all things considered. Please Pray for my Dad that our Lord shows mercy on him and makes the pain minimal.

Gods blessings to all! All of you have been missed!

Peace, your friend,

Nancy

Pamelamary
08-20-2013, 03:56 AM
Dear Nancy,
I can't add anything to the advice you have been offered so far, and am sorry to hear about your father. But you have always been here for all of us with problems, so i just wanted to send my love and best wishes.... Pam

sarah
08-20-2013, 04:54 AM
Hello Nancy,
Maybe take all the tests to a top radiologist and see what he thinks. Getting another opinion seems the way to go.
good luck
hugs
sarah

NEDenise
08-20-2013, 08:24 AM
Nancy,
What an ordeal! Thank goodness you were on the ball, and caught the mistake!

I'm sorry your recovery is so slow. And, I too hope you are spared another bone marrow biopsy.

And, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I pray that his days will be peaceful and pain-free. I've lived through hospice/end of life with both of my parents... so I know you need prayers for comfort and strength as much as he does. Take care of yourself, my friend.
Denise

'lizbeth
08-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Nancy,

I am not totally comfortable with the handling of your scans. I'm not sure the reasoning to do a mammogram after an MRI.

The TRAM side can have necrotic changes - even years after the surgery. I'm a little surprised that they didn't schedule you for a biopsy.

I think what I'm taking away from you posts is that there is no physician that is on top of your situation. I would feel better to know that a doctor is really looking out for you.

I'm sorry about your father. I would be happy to pray for his comfort and peace.

Jackie07
08-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Nancy,

What an ordeal! That's got to be scary! Glad you'd straightened things out.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. We'll be praying for his getting good pain-control meds and less suffering.

Take care.