PDA

View Full Version : About to start Kadcyla-Nervous and Excited

yanyan
05-20-2013, 05:28 PM
After progression on my skin recurrence, my doctor prescribed 3 sessions of Kadcyla. If i respond well, I will get radiated for the 2nd time. I feel a little bit nervous but after reading about the side effects posted on this forum, i feel much relieved. I am hoping this treatment WILL work for me that i can be off chemo eventually. I feel a bit excited, like yay i am finally getting it. I am very thankful to those who were in the trial and who fought to accelerate FDA's approval on this drug. Going to get my MUGA scan tomorrow...

JennyB
05-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Good luck Yanyan I hope this treatment is your silver bullet!

Keep us posted

Jenny x

LeahM
05-21-2013, 05:15 AM
Hope this is "the one"...keep us posted
Leah

NEDenise
05-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Yay!
Sorry the mets are being stubborn...but excited you're getting your chance with TDM-1!
Fingers crossed!
Keep us posted!

Sending a big hug too
Denise

Jackie07
05-21-2013, 11:18 PM
Good luck, Yanyan.

phil
05-22-2013, 07:14 AM
Good luck, a great drug for her2 , my wife has been doing great since Nov., 2010 , NED since Nov , 2011. , more effective than tyk /xel, and much better tolerated than nasty tyk/xel. but it is a chemo, attached to herceptin. s/e of fever , chills, fatigue, and most importantly, about 30-40 % approx. have a platelet issue. that can knock you out of tx., or interfere w/ getting max doses to kill cancer as possible. Lorraine does neo -paleo diet to help stay on tx.
seems like 30% or so get asuper -response, and the earleuir u get it, w/o too much spread , the better. another 30 5 or more get avery good response, that might get better if other drugs can be combined, like perjeta. for 30 -40 % it does not appear to work by itself. some get good response from perjeta , combimned w/ herc , or /and chemos. These ar my rough estimates from the many pts i have heard from. Good Luck, God Bless and Heal !
I wish i could say that our activism got this drug approved early, but it did not. it took just about 7 yrs, and even now cannot be combined w/ other drugs like perjeta or a little taxol. even tho a phase III trial now running for over 2 yrs has shown all 3 can be used TOGETHER safely. I thimnk that This " New " FDA OS fixation is extending that trial, into late 2014 , or 2015. t dm-1 is very good, tdm-1 and perjeta even beter , but FDA wants longer to prove Overall Survival stats . We say approve now , based on Phase III stats of the gold standard TTP, PFS, and run your OS studies off that for as long as u want !
I do feel that pressure from the rejection of TDM-1 for early appr. on Pres. Obamas' FDA helped some, and is helping . This FDA is well aware of our Protests. Boston news coverage. showing fruit w/ Sen Hagans TREAT ACT, and new drugs getting " Breakthrough " Drug attention.
But those changes do not help get full appr . for T DM-1, Stage IV still have to do a taxane, i have not heard about any trial to compare t dm-1 to TCH or TAC , so we can see how it does from the beginning. No urgency on the part of pharma or FDA. as i already said , t dm-1 cannot be combined w/ any other long-tested drugs. will all those combos have to be tested for 3 yrs + ? , what a System !! 20th century FDA system for 21st century tx's. when will Perjeta be appr. for Stage IV ? 2015 ?? Your Stage IV Sisters / brothers sacrificed for it with their lives ! Speak Up for Stage IV Rights ! Jon us on FB, philip mccartin, i have a link to our Activist FB page, " Our Her2Cancer Struggle " .

ElaineM
05-22-2013, 03:52 PM
I am happy for you. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Adriana Mangus
05-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Hi Yanyan,

I was on the clinical trial about 18 months ago, no major side effects, just a little body aches, headache--very minor, no biggie. You should do just fine.

Please keep us posted. Congratulation on getting on it.

Adriana

Mandamoo
05-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Yanyan
I too didn't find TDM1 too difficult. I hope that it is a successful treatment for you.
Amanda x

yanyan
05-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks to all for your kind input and prayers ! Still calling insurance back and forth to get the prior auth. Kadcyla is a new drug so there is no J code and has to be put as " unclassified". I with things would be easier for us the patients, and many times we have to get involved on top of dealing with this diseases. Will keep you guys posted!

Pray
05-23-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm praying it works well for you also. Gods blessings to you