PDA

View Full Version : Garlic, wine and chocolate...!

Andrea Barnett Budin
05-05-2013, 12:03 PM
GARLIC, WINE AND CHOCOLATE

Yes, I lovvvveeee my supplements -- well I LOVE what they do for my body! Nontraditional medicine has merit for sure. Including meditation, guided imagery, balancing ying with yang.

Plus yoga, Qigong, acupressure, acupuncture, armoatherapy and ENERGY MEDICINE!!! Please check out Christina Bornstein on YouTube. She can help your insomnia, calm you down, lift your energy level and lots more! Immediate results. Simple exercises. 2 minutes of your time! Awesome...

Reading fab book OUTLIVING CANCER by Dr. Robert Nagourney. He seems to be the go-to guy if you are having chemoresistanc!!!!!!!!!

He's been around for decades, and ever eager to learn, investigate with an open mind. He's a gem! Rare doc. Dying patients go to him and he finds their magic formula based on a recent biopsy, tests in his lab and discoveries what works specifically for YOU. Tailor made and less toxic ways of healing! We know -- every cancer is different. Every person's body and chemistry is different. He addresses these truths full on!

GARLIC. Nagourney has learned much about this and touts it as a medeicinal food. Studied 1,300 peer-reviewed publications of the topic, then compiling, reviewing, editing, rewriting and re-reviewing. Found a window on the chemistry of foodstuffs, spices and biological actives.

SUCCESS IN LIFE REFLECTS EFFICIENT ELECTRON MANAGEMENT. We live in an environment fraught with free radical activity. Our diets contain substances that offer protection against oxidative damage. Some foods particularly beneficial.

GARLIC, WINE AND CHOCOLATE (ESPECIALLY DARK CHOCOLATE) ALL CONTAIN POLYPEHNOLS, FLAVONOIDS AND THILS CAPABLE OF DETOXIGYING CHEMICAL REACTANTS.

Dr. Nagourney goes on to say that garlic includes -- onions, leeks, shallots and chives. (I put chives in my baked potatoes, and sip red wine. I am consequently protecting my bod!) Full of detoxifying enzymes... Protects against infection. So -- pile it on!!!!!!!!

RED WINE has phenols, RESVERATROL, FLAVONOIDS (including Quercetin). Good for gene regulation, inhibition of the estrogen receptor. Red wine has antioxidant properties, dilates blood vessels and can inhibit blood clotting. REDUCES INFLAMMATION!)

CHOCOLATE's polyphenolic content provides some of its most healthful features. Dark chocolate is the healthiest. (MY FAV!!!) In moderation. Two Dove dark chocolate and raspberry swirl are less than 100 calories. I take 2 a day... After sipping red wine and wanting to freshen my breath... :o)

Nagourney reports findings re chocolate including -- the inhibition of the cancer-promoting enzymew telomerase, induction of apoptosis (CELL DEATH) and decrease of NF-kB (a potent mediator of INFLAMMATION)!

IT HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN THAT INFLAMMATION IS CLOSELY ASSOCIATED WITH CANCER. The root of all bodily dysfunction is -- INFLAMMATION. (This is one reason I take 2 Wobenzym SUPPLEMENTS every day, a half hour before meals.) Just saying...

Chocolate's anti-inflammatory properties may be important in cancer prevention. Talk about good news!!!!!!

A comparison of chocolate, wine and green tea favored chocolate for phenolic and flavonoid content. The stimulatory effect of the methylxanthines like caffeine may be responsible, Nagourney reports. (I have been taking 2 Green Coffee Bean Extract SUPPLEMENTS a day -- as I never ever drink coffee and have read that coffee extends life!)

"It wasn't until 1996" -- nobody told ME -- "that we recognized chocolate to be a source of anandamide. Interestingly, there are no other known foodstuffs that contain this compound", Nagourney writes.

Nagourney also speaks of the benefits of Vitamin E and SELENIUM -- included in my thread WHY I TAKE SUPPLEMENTS. So good to know. Plus these also may benefit men w/prostate issues...

The citrus fruit extract limonene, found in the zest of oranges and lemons has been found to lower cholesterol. Healthful effects of the chemical of the limonene -- from the entire orange peel, not just the zest -- are even more beneficial.

Citrus fruits in general contribute benefits above Vitamin C.

Hope this information is helpful to you. I found it fascinating -- and the GARLIC, WINE AND CHOCOLATE aspects are easily included in my diet! TO YOUR GOOD HEALTH, SISTERS AND BROTHERS. (My thanks to GDPawel for suggesting this book to me! Full of revelations of every kind and manner! Check it out...)
Andi

ElaineM
05-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the info.
I cook with garlic, ginger, onions, or leeks or shallots everyday. I eat dark chocolate a couple times a week. I monitor everything that goes in my body. I plan every meal carefully. My naturopath does acupuncture and accupressure every time I see him.
Take care.

IrvineFriend
05-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Thanks Andi!

Love that baked potatoes with chives sipping red wine! Dark chocolate is the only chocolate worth eating so good news all around. Thanks again for the informative post!

Andrea Barnett Budin
05-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Elaine you are a rock star. On top of your game!

Julie, I was just thinking -- what about some cheese? With the wine and garlicky crackers... But no, not in Nagourney's book.

Must say this book is most revealing regarding the manner in which the search for the cure is approached by the medical industry. As I always expected, from an insider... Enlightening. And disappointing. Western med needs a huge nudge from us I am thinking -- to get with the program...

ElaineM
05-06-2013, 02:22 PM
I am not a rock star. I just try to keep on top of things and try to participate and help myself as much as I can.
I also take supplements.

Andrea Barnett Budin
05-06-2013, 02:38 PM
In my book, anyone who takes charge of their lives and their destiny, educates themselves about their options, remains open to the unconventional, implements their enlightenments consciously and conscientiously -- is a rock star.

Your post below -- from December 2010 -- says it all. I did exactly the same thing when I was given less than a year to live. I fully intended NOT to fall in with that prognosis. I also had no idea how, but I found my way.

And that's how you get to be a miracle, I think.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon12.gif 12 years and still counting -- Elaine's HER2 post:
Happy New Year !! Hauoli Makahiki Hou !!
I couldn't let this occassion pass without wishing all of you peace, good health and joy in 2011 and beyond.
I was diagnosed in early January, 1999. A doctor told me I had 6 months to live at the beginning of 2000. I remember that day. I did not say anything. I just laid on his exam table quietly, but in my heart and mind I decided that was not going to happen to me !!!!!!!!
I didn't know how I was going to accomplish that task that day, but I figured it out as I went along. I learned as much as I could, was not afraid to challenge doctors when it was appropriate to do so and found ways to get the things I needed. This journey has not always been easy, but I kept going even though I changed the route a couple of times.

I changed doctors when I needed to do that. On the other side of the coin I am still working with one or two doctors I first saw in 1999. Thankfully they are willing to travel with me through this journey.

I am still learning and putting one foot in front of the other. I promised my doctors I will be showing up for check ups when I am 90. That is my goal.

Never give up !!!!!!! Determination, believing in the possibility of success, learning as much as we can, refusing to give up, and being proactive and aggressive are the keys to long term survival.

All the best to each and everyone of you !!!!!!!!!! Never give up !!!!!!!!!!!

I SECOND EVERY WORD YOU WROTE, ELAINE!!

With admiration and love,
Andi